Coast Starlight Train Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 07:39 PM
Prue

We are considering taking the Coast Starlight train trip which begins LA or San
Francisco and links up with the Rocky Mountaineer in Vancouver - has anyone any knowledge of this trip. Is train travel a good way of getting across the country - for example Chicago back to LA? Would be grateful for any information.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:38 PM
April

I think the Coast Starlight and the Rocky Mountaineer would make for a wonderful trip. My husband loved the Rocky Mountaineer trip but neither of us has done the Coast Starlight yet. Personally, that would be enough train travel for me - I think I'd fly to Chicago and spend more time in San Francisco and the Rockies. If you have the time and want to see the country though, driving a car or taking the train might suit you better.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Bev

We took the Coast Starlight from LA to Oakland, CA last year. The train goes right along the coast from LA to San Luis Obispo, then inland to Oakland. We stayed overnight in San Luis Obispo and continued to Oakland the next afternoon. Much of the second day was in the dark, but if you are traveling in the summer that would not be a problem. The train itself is very comfortable - wide, plush seats with lots of leg room, plus an observation car and a nice, reasonably priced dining car. We traveled coach class one day and first class the next. Both were okay. First class included a sleeping compartment and a wine tasting with entertainment and meals, but since we were not on the train overnight I'm not sure it was worth it. Personally, I think 3 or 4 days of train travel would be plenty. I'd also rather fly from San Francisco to Chicago and spend the time exploring one area or another. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Prue

Thank you both for your help - it is so good to hear from people who have actual
knowledge of it.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 03:48 PM
Vicki

We have taken this trip twice, from Seattle to LA and back. Both times with our kids, first time they were pretty small and we had the family sleeper car, the second time they were about 2 years older and still we managed to all bunk together in the sleeper car. We loved the trip. Since we had the sleeper, all meals were included and we had priority seating because we were sleeper car passengers. The scenery is incredible. Northbound it gets dark somewhere near Sacramento, then you wake up near Klamath Falls. Then a gorgeous ride through the Oregon mtns and drop down into the Willamette Valley. Southbound it gets dark somewhere near Eugene, OR and you wake up near Sacramento. Unfortunately you miss a lot of the Siskiyous but the trip is incredible. Relaxing, no driving, no phones, no TV. Incredible views and a chance to catch up on your reading, board games, and napping! Hope you do it, and enjoy.

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 05:26 AM
Ann

Prue, I've taken trains a number of times in this area. The Coast Starlight was nice for a one day trip from Oakland to LA. Beautiful coast views. As for the west-east routes, consider flying part of the way. We flew into Denver and then took the train to Oakland. I've also trained from Montreal to Vancouver with an overnight in Banff, and on another occasion we flew to Calgary (just east of Banff) and trained to Vancouver. That is the beautifull part of the trip! Next time I'd like to drive the route as you can then make stops at whatever place catches your interest. Also, the train always seems to cover the best sceanery at night! The Canadian routes and systems have changed, so I'm no longer familiar with the trip. Also, in the past the Canadian trains have offered much better value for sleepers and meals than the US trains, but that might have changed as well with privatization of the passenger routes. I hope someone else knows more about this (or check the Canadian forum). I'm assuming you're thinking of the Canadian trains as you said it begins in Vancouver. I think Amtrack only runs to Seattle. I hope someone else will chime in here.

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Prue

Anne, Thank you for your reply also.
I found the trip we are interested in a brochure from the Rocky Mountaineer people in Canada and it incorporates the two trains - i.e with Amtrak from LA or San Francisco to Seattle and then on to Vancouver and the other train. I had thought then we might do another trip from say Chicago back to LA but think from the advice given flying will be the answer. We are Aussies and will only have limited time.
Thank you so much for your help - I think this Forum is wonderful, wish I had found it sooner.