Reload this Page >

Suggested Texas Sites

Search

Suggested Texas Sites

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 02:09 PM
Mary

Suggested Texas Sites

We're planning a driving trip thru Texas this fall. What sites should be include in our agenda? We've never been there and plan to spend at least two weeks.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 03:49 PM
susan

San Antonio!!! Wonderful missions - including the Alamo - great food, and the River Walk is wonderful. But beware...it'll be HOT

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Lantell

Well Texas has so much to offer but I will have to agree with Susan that San Antonio is a beautyful place to visit.
Corpus Christi has a magnifacent waterfront and Galveston is an ecxellent point of historic intrest. Houston is not a pretty city but it has alot to offer. It is everything but boring.
Palo Duro Canyon State Park just southeast of Amarillo is breathtaking.
The Metroplex is very interesting and there is lots to do. If you like sitting on the beach then South Padre Island is very clean and the water is warm.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:32 AM
lisa

Austin is my favorite city in Texas. Great food, great music, wonderful atmosphere. Swim at Barton Springs, watch the bats fly out from under the bridge over the Colorado River, hear good music on Sixth Street, enjoy the trails along the river. Eat at Chuy's and Magnolia Cafe. Go out and hear as much music as you can! The Hill country outside of town is interesting too & Fredericksburg is worth a day trip.

San Antonio is a close second. Much bigger -- missions, Alamo, Riverwalk, etc. as mentioned by another poster above. Definitely worth doing. Lots of good restaurants here too.

I would try to spend most of your time in the Austin/San Antonio area. Maybe try to stay in the cities for part of the time and also look into ranch accommodations to get some of the more rural flavor for a few days too. I'm not so big on Dallas or Houston but that's just me. Also found South Padre disappointing, particularly if you've ever been to any nicer beach areas such as those in Florida. El Paso has its own thing going on and I enjoyed it, particularly the scenery driving through the desert, but it's so far from everything that I don't think I'd do that desolate drive again if I had to.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:35 AM
kevin

I apologize if this posts twice.

Don't know what your interests are, and this is a very large and diverse state (almost 1000 miles both north/south and east/west). For a driving tour, I can't emphasize enough the distances between sites here. However, to truly see as much as Texas as possible, I would suggest the following.

If you are flying into Texas and then driving, fly into Houston and visit there and then Galveston on the coast. Drive down I-10 to the San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country area. I would concentrate there. Then, continue driving west on I-10 to El Paso. It is on the Mexico border, and you can also visit its sister city. It is a long drive, but well worth it for the scenery and small towns, not to mention Big Bend National Park. This itinerary would show enable you to see much of the diversty of Texas, both geography and ethnicity.

If you are driving the entire time, drive into Dallas, then go down to Houston and continue on the above trip. If El Paso is too far west for a return trip (you could swing through New Mexico and then the Texas Panhandle by Caprock Canyon), then after the San Antonio area, go down to South Padre Island. If you would prefer not to go back to the coast, try Laredo. Both Padre and Laredo are near the Mexico border, and you can visit on foot.

Late September through mid-November are good months to visit weatherwise. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or would like recommended things to do in these areas.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:58 AM
Christie

Fall is a great time to visit Texas!

I would definitely put the Texas Hill Country at the top of my list of places to visit. Fredricksburg and Boerne are two of my favorite Hill Country towns. If you plan your trip well, you may even be able to hit Oktoberfest or the Gillespie County Fair in Fredricksburg!

Second on my list would be San Antonio. The missions and historic sites are great, but what draws the most visitors is the Riverwalk. If you can hit it on a weeknight, the crwods will be a lot smaller and you'll get more of a feel for the flair of the city. Don't miss the Mercado, too!

After San Antonio, I'd head back up I-35 to Austin. The State Capitol is just lovely any time of the year. There are plenty of other things to see and do: UT Tower, museums, etc. Also, lots of wonderful restaurants!

My next stop wouldbe Fort Worth. In fact, I'm quite surprised that none of the previous posts have mentioned it! Cowtown is neat! The Stockyards, although a bit touristy, are truly unique! And the Kimball and Amon Carter art museums are excellent. See if you can catch a performance at the Bass Hall, or have dinner on Sundance Square!

I do live in Dallas, so I have to include it. But there are lots of good things to see here. #1 of course is the JFK Sixth Floor Museum. I also recommend the Dallas Museum of Art. If you are here in September, catch a performance of the Mesquite Rodeo. Dallas is a big restaurant town, so save plenty of room for eating. We have lots of wonderful restaurants here, including many international cuisine ones!

Personally, I would skip Houston. (A Dallas radio DJ used to call it "the pothole city" for good reason!) If you must visit the Space Center or the Astrodome, then make the trip.

Does that give you enough?

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 06:53 PM
Topsy

Up up & away!

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 07:32 PM
Linda

Have to agree with the majority that San Antonio is the city with the most things to do--River Walk (take the river ride), Alamo, Sea World, Missions (Mission San Jose has a mariachi mass at noon on Sundays), old Hemisfair Plaza, Six Flags. Eating is great at Mi Tierra (both tourists and natives go there), La Margarita (in Market area with Mi Tierra), Paesano's (Italian on the Riverwalk & Basse Rd), Karam's (on Zarzamora), jazz at The Landing. Late fall should not be hot, Early September can be.
The Hill Country with Fredericksburg, Gruen, Kerrville, New Braunfels have fun German influence and nice scenery.
Austin has the capital, LBJ Library, Town Lake, Sixth Street, etc.
Houston has the Alley Theater, Johnson Space Center (30 minutes south), Galveston (20 minutes past the Space Center).
Corpus has beaches & north Padre Island.
Dallas has museums, symphony, shopping, Sixth Floor, rodeo, good transportation.
Fort Worth has the stockyards, museums, symphony.
On I-35 you can go from Dallas to Austin to San Antonio to Corpus. If you do, stop in West for kolaches (Czech pastries) at the Village Bakery; Waco for the Texas Ranger, Dr. Pepper & Sports museums, Baylor's Armstrong Browning Library; Saledo to eat.
Try traveltex.com for more information and we hope you enjoy Texas--"it's a whole other country" and we natives are friendly.