Coach vs. First Class

Search

Coach vs. First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coach vs. First Class

I'm getting ready to book our flight to Hawaii on Hawaiian Air using our FF miles. I find that I have enough to book first class. Aside from the obvious seating difference, what more do you get that justifies double the cost? Thank You for any replies.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Decent food, alcohol, the chance to sleep, sometimes (check) higher baggage limits and (sometimes) expedited baggage handling. You also can use the FC check-in lines and often a "fast track" security line (depends on airport.)

One widely-used rule of thumb is to value your miles at 2.5c per mile, then see what the equivalent purchased tickets cost in both coach and FC, and see what you're "paying" vs. the purchased cost. You'll probably see that FC is a much more efficient use of your miles. To complete the analysis, assume you "paid" 1.5c for each of those miles, buried in your credit card purchases etc.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:29 PM

My husband flies first class a lot for business, but for me, it's still a treat. It's just a more posh experience in general. Seats are more comfortable with more leg room. The flight attendant offers you something to drink immediately instead of waiting for the cart. When we went, we had a better choice of movies/shows to watch than in coach. Also, they give you linen napkins, real silverware, salt and pepper shakers and come around with warm towels after you eat. The meal we had was of very high quality as well - not sure if it was different than what was served in coach.

We only fly first class when our miles allow. I probably wouldn't pay for it, but it's easier to spread out and relax, and I think the service is definitely more attentive. We always try to use our miles for long flights, and Hawaii would be the perfect way to enjoy first class.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM

I would also suggest that the further you're traveling, the more enjoyable the first class experience.

Assuming you're at least flying from the West Coast to Honolulu, the flight time is what 5 hours? Think about being crammed in a packed coach section for 5 hours. (I did it coming from SF to NYC last night, it wasn't fun.) Now, ask if the extra miles are worth it.

If you're flying from the midwest or East Coast, it's a no brainer.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM

If you have the points - for me just not having to get off the plane looking like a pretzel is well worth it.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:07 PM

We too use our miles for first class or business class. Having flown to China, India and Hawaii 4 times in Business/First, it is the only way to fly. We save our miles for the flights we wouldn't want to buy.

Coming from the East Coast, I sure get my moneys worth flying to Hawaii You just feel better, it is a little special.
go for it!
Duane
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM

Keep in mind that this is just domestic first class seats with 2-2-2 seating of 18.5" width and 42" pitch; vs 2-3-2, 18" and 32" in coach on HA's 767-300.

I don't know if you can use HA miles on Continental's flights, but CO has international business class seats that are much better than HA's for flights between HNL and the mainland.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:30 AM

I have to agree with the above poster: INTERNATIONAL first or business is worth the money, but I don’t really see any big difference on domestic flights. On domestic first or business I have yet to have a leg rest or a fully reclining seat, which are THE main reasons I like the first or business class seat. I don’t notice that the seats are appreciably wider actually either. Otherwise, the food is really only marginally better (it is all airplane food, even on the excellent Singapore airlines), the real silverware, etc is meaningless to me. For a domestic flight of 5 hours or less, really coach is not uncomfortable, IMO and I wouldn’t pay for first class for that short a flight. Over 5 hours and IF it really were a seat with a leg rest and a reclining seat, I would think it would be worth it. Co's Business First may do this, but I don't think the OP can take this from the Seattle area.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM

I will always firmly believe that first class is a waste of money OR points. (Remember that you earned those points by spending money...it's not a "free" upgrade!!)

This is how my DH and I look at it: If I offered you $1000 to sit on a wooden chair for nine hours, would you do it? And would you ever order a $1000 glass of champagne? Because essentially the people who are willing to pay that much for a few hours of "comfort" (in a plane? ha!) and free drinks are generally the same people who go into massive debt after vacations (or complain that they don't get to go away often enough).
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:46 AM

We flew to Hawaii for our honeymoon from the East Coast and I would not have done it any other way. What a loooooonnnnnggggg flight. Even if on some of the legs it was only marginally better than coach, it was worth it. On some of the legs-- we flew Delta- the seats did recline and the foot rest shot up like a lazy boy recliner. If you have the miles, i'd use them if it's going to be a long flight for you.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Our dilemma right now is that we have enough miles to go to Hawaii ONCE in first class or TWICE in coach; it's a hard decision.

I've always hated to use up all our miles, but they always seem to pile up again. We've been to Hawaii 4 times (twice with our 3 kids), all on miles. We've also used miles for Europe, the Caribbean, Alaska, and yet the miles adding up again!

But we usually fly coach. So far, it has seemed the best decision to be able to go more often in coach than to go in first class less often.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Honestly, you'd be willing to give up a second trip to Hawaii just for a few hours of marginal comfort?!? I'd rather spend those hours in coach dreaming about my extra week in paradise. But whatever, I'm sure that pop-up foot rest is just as relaxing as a week on Waikiki Beach.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Everything is personal and how things affect you.
I save my Delta points and use them to upgrade to first class when I fly to LA two or three times a year - I find a huge difference between 1st and coach from east to west coast - the seats are larger, which I like, -being on ly 2 across, I like being served (even if with plastic utensils) rather than having to carry take out on my flight and have to dig it out hours into my flight- I enjoy getting drinks, tea, coffee, water or snacks whenever I want them and not having to deal with long lines for the rest room - and usually less kids hanging over the seats or kicking seats or generally making noise (and I love kids) - the shorter check in and security lines, the 1st class lounge - all fo these are reasons I like flying first and save my points for it on delta for the coast to coast flight and otherwise use points for business or 1st when travleing to europe when I can and have them - doesn't mean I don't go when I don't have enough points- in which case I would not purchase a 1st class tix, but I'd defnitely go coach vs. not going at all -

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM

But you do realize you're paying $1000 (one way or the other; points come from money spent) for the "luxury" of plasticware, short potty lines, and not having to "dig" food out of your backpack (heaven forbid!). And the first class lounge? Whatever. Would you pay a $1000 cover charge to get into a boring, fluorescent-lit nightclub that played bad muzak?

It just amazes me how many people are willing to waste $1000 on a few extra inches of leg room. And they're usually the same ones who complain later about being "nickel and dimed" for a $6 cup of coffee at their hotel.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:36 AM

I love the stories my TA tells me about his clients who actually wont take the trip if they cant get upgraded.Domestic and international.One of my favorites is the couple on trips from DFW to houston...AN HOUR!! They will not go if they aren't upgraded, whether they are travelling alone or with each other.The excuse: They are "too tired" to travel with the unwashed.......wow......Beulah, time for a couple a grapes....
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Haha...exactly, BeachBoi!

I'm sorry, but the first class cabin is the biggest tourist trap out there. To quote an old song...put me in coach!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:00 AM

karameli,

We get it.

*YOU* wouldn't use your miles.

No matter how much you berate others about it being foolish to use the miles for an upgrade, it isn't necessarily going change their minds.

It is a personal decision.

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM

nyc, it's called having a back and forth discussion. I notice you haven't contributed to this thread except to berate me for stating my opinion (and replying to others who did the same).
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
GoTravel

No way in hell would I fly to Hawaii in coach if I had enough miles for FC.

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone has different prioritites. I take 2 trips to Hawaii in coach, over 1 in first class... any day of the week!

Other than the "obvious seating difference" there is... well little difference. Free drinks and better food. Less people using your bathroom. That's about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -