Climate California August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 12:30 AM
Lucy

Hello
I am planning a possible trip to California for August 2001 - what sort of climate can we expect and what is all this talk of fog?!!?
Thanks

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:56 AM
Robin

Lucy-- California weather has been changing a lot the last few years, partly due to El Nino, and who knows what else. You don't say which part of the state you're talking about, and that does make a difference. Traditionally (now subject to change!), most of southern California will be very hot in August (85 to over 100). Naturally the beaches are cooler-- which is why everyone heads there! This year has indeed been hot, but much more humid than we are used to. There is a phenomenon known as the "marine layer", which is a type of fog, that should burn off during the day, but doesn't always.

FYI, not my area of expertise, but San Francisco is known for foggy summers-- typically the weather there is better in the fall.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Cal

Robin is pretty accurate especially about the humidity in Southern California in recent years. Bear this in mind though, We are not used to humidity so any at all is not very welcome. It is still not nearly as humid as many other places.

Typically coastal areas will be in 70's and 80's in Southern California and a few degrees cooler in Northern California. There is often a marine layer in the morning that burns off by 10:00 am or so. However in some areas it can be foggy all day though that is not usual. Inland can get very hot with temps well over 100. There is not much humidity inland but it is still very hot.

It will not rain. That is a given. All in all the summers are very pleasant along the coast.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 10:09 AM
kam

There can easily be a 20 degree difference between SF and down on the Peninisula say at Palo Alto. Reason--fog! July and August tend to have more fog than other months, although it usually burns off by noon and doesn't come back in until 4-5 pm. I can also get quite windy in the city. But, it's never cold, cold. Usually 85 on the Peninsula and 65 in the city and never a change of rain. September and October (especially) are the ideal months.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Lucy

Hi
Thanks to you all for your response.

Is that the general opinion that we would be better off visiting in September? Difficult! It means taking our child out of school!

Talking of school - I read somewhere that High School graduates usually spend vacations along the coast - this can make things very busy and noisy! Are we likely to face this in August/September.

Also, out of interest - what is the climate like in June/July?

THANKS!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 12:32 AM
Cal

Lucy:

The best month of the year to visit California is October. The days are sunny and warm and it is the clearest month ( no fog ). September is often the hottest month. There is no guarantee that September will be any cooler than August. All of this depends of course on your timing. In general the coastal areas do no get very hot but it does happen. Usually the hot spells only last for a few days. July is much like August though you will probably get more of a marine layer at least in the early part of July. June is the worst month along the coast because of the heavy marine layer that usually occurs. We call it the June Gloom.

However one must put all of this in perspective. The chances are that the weather will be great any month from July through October. In fact we get some awesome weather in Southern California almost any month of the year. It is just that the chances of perfect weather is greater in October and less in June. However, compared to most other areas in the country, any month in California has good weather in and around the coast.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 04:15 PM
Terry

After Labor Day students are all back in school and don't get more than a day here and there until Thanksgiving. In August you will face students and tourist everywhere, but in September things settle back to normal.

As far as taking your children out of school...we viewed traveling as a learning experience and when given the chance, took our daughter out of school (we didn't do this often), and we found that with planning it was never a problem. We always let her teachers know well in advance that we would be gone, why we had to go at that particular time, and arranged for her to get all her work in advance. We never had a problem with any of her teachers, but be willing to make concessions, some assignments had to be turned in before she left and others had to be turned in the day she returned, all tests were given before we left, etc. She would work hard before we went and always took homework on our trips.

June our temperatures in Sourthern Cal can be up (80) or down (65) but usually it's nice with a morning marine layer that burns off by noon. I'd have to agree with the above poster who said the weather is the best in October. Anytime of year it's a good idea to have a light jacket for the evenings if you are going to be by the beach.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Samantha

Hi Lucy - You didn't mention where in CA you plan to visit, but I'll tell you how it is way up north around the Eureka area - I lived there for 4 years. For the months of April through October, there are almost always sunny skies. Daytime temperatures are in the 60's for the most part. November through March is terrible - 75% of the annual rainfall happens and fog is abundant and hangs around until about noon and rolls back in at about 4:00 PM. A bit depressing!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:16 PM
KT

Well, never say "never" -- even though we all say it never rains in the summer here in the SF Bay Area, there's actually light rain today. Grey skies with temps in the low 60's, at least to the west of the hills. On the other hand, just a few days ago it was warm and sunny. This must be the dress-in-layers capital of the universe.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:19 PM
kam

KT, Actually more than a light rain here on the Peninsula! My car looks like a spotted pony! Tomorrow more of the same with the possibility of thunder showers! Wow! It's actually a bit nice that all our days aren't exactly the same. Sometimes in October I begin to believe that it will go on forever! Blue Skies and 70 degrees!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 03:06 AM
Cal

I guess today has made a liar out of me. Boy what a change from 2 days ago. I have to revise my "no rain" statement to "99% chance of no rain". LOL