COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cleveland: What to do :)

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
ComfyShoes

Cleveland: What to do :)

So, I am headed for Cleveland for two days (business trip for me but taking the family, spouse/2 kids/9 & 6 my kids that is ). I browsed the past posts here, and think the following places of interest:

- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Art Museum (couple Andy Warhols and Monets)
- West side market
- Science Center with body world exhibit as a must see
- Natural history museum

I won't have more than half a day with the family, so I pick Art Museum and Rock/Roll thingy. Anything else?

Finally, I only have one restaurant that I know of: Juniper grill. Can you suggest couple more for a lunch and a dinner? So long as the food is good, the ethinicity doesn't matter to me. Any local food landmarks?

Thanks so much

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Hello from Detroit.

The R/R Hall of Fame is awesome. It took us about 6 hours to go through the whole place, but hey that's just Us. It might be hard on the kids though.

Food, I can't recommend anything, I don't remember anywhere we ate. But a cool thing to do is, watch the big freighters make their way through the channels and locks all around the Cleveland area. They have bridges that lift and go sideways to let some of those bad boys through. You can literally reach out and touch the ships, though I don't recommend it. You can have a converstation with the guys on the ships, I think You and the kids will get a kick out of it.

We stayed at the Ritz and connected to it was a huge mall with all the usual stuff. So that might help too.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:08 AM
ComfyShoes

Mamaw, Thanks. Yes, I have stayed at that Ritz too (but many years back) and it is connected to Tower City Center, if I remember. Interesting thought with the barges etc. Thanks again.

So, anyone else with to-do's and names of good eating joints?

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:20 AM

I love riding bikes on the Tow Path in the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area. You can rent bikes at Century Bikes. I would also take the kids for the day to Cedar Point in Sandusky, a very, very fun day for the ages of your kids. Skip the West Side Market. Rock and Roll Museum wouldn't work at all for your kids but they would enjoy the Science Museum. I'll get back to you with restaurants.
http://centurycycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=288
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:21 AM

This would probably only take a few minutes, but if you're an admirer of off-beat attractions, there's the largest rubber stamp model in a park near the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Here's a link:

http://roadsideamerica.com/attract/OHCLEstamp.html

If that kinda thing appeals to you, there are other off-beat attractions in the city you can check out. The link:

http://roadsideamerica.com/map/oh.html
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:36 AM

You should also consider going to a Cleveland Indians game if they're playing when you're in town. You could also check out the Goodtime II for a Lake Erie/ Cuyahoga River tour. I lived in Cleveland for 40 years and moved 7 years ago. The things I miss the most are: Lake Erie, Cedar Point, Tow Path and Indians games. http://www.goodtimeiii.com/
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM

If you only have a half day, Goodtime II and Science Center are located next to each other (as is the Rock N Roll Museum) so those two can be done together. The Art Museum, Natural History Museum and Botanical Gardens are all next to each other and could be done together. http://www.cbgarden.org/The Botanical Gardens is brand new and very enjoyable. The kids might also enjoy the Cleveland Zoo.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:52 AM

http://www.cbgarden.org/
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:14 AM
cd

ComfyShoes
I suppose you would like something for the family to do while you're in business meeting during the day? I would suggest your children would enjoy the Cleveland Zoo and The Goodtime 111, It leaves from 9th street, close to the Rock and Roll and Science Center, for two hour luncheon crusies on the Lake and river. They might also like visiting the USS Cod in the same area http://tinyurl.com/27492q
The BodyWorld exhibit is no longer at the Science Center - it has moved on.

If you can squeese a full day with your family, a must do is Cedar Point. With the ages of your children you would all love it! http://www.cedarpoint.com/
http://cleveland.about.com/od/sights...oodtimeIII.htm
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
ComfyShoes

Fantastic responses, people. Much appreciated.

So, for my family without me, I picked the following (as many as they can do):

1. Cleveland Botanical Gardens (great website, roseclare)
2. Natural History Museum
3. USS Cod
4. Cleveland Zoo

For the time, I am with'em:

1. Rock/Roll Hall of Fame
2. Rubber stamp model (bladezone, I don't think I have ever thought about stuff like that but it is interesting enough, specially since it is next door to RR)
3. Art museum

My business client is actually taking me/family for the evening on the lake, which is great.

So, I basically took advice from each of you. My only open slot is one dinner location but I think I can take care of that.

Thanks a bunch. You guys are great!

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM

The Western Reserve Historical Society is very nice. There's Little Italy, Coventry, which are not far from Downtown. Blue Canyon is very good in Twinsburg. Blue Point Grille is seafood (Downtown). Don's Lighthouse in is close to Downtown (westside). Or just go to Winking Lizard Tavern, foods ok and inexpensive (sports bar) By the Jake. Hope this help's (from Cleveland)
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
cd

If you have a car and enjoy dining with a great view, I recommend: Pier W
It's right on the lake. Ask for a window table.
http://www.selectrestaurants.com/pier/index.html
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I haven't been to Pier W in along time but as I recall it was very good. Must sit by the window.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
ComfyShoes

Thanks, guys. Given CD's previous great suggestion to me for Chicago and Pier W's menu, that's definitely the dinner place. I guess anyone humble enough to not call him/herself CD as opposed to MPEG or iTune or even a DVD has to have the right priorities and suggestions Just kidding. Yes, I will book a table by the window.

For the one lunch, I will pick Blue Canyon or Don's Lighthouse. All three look like Cleveland landmarks to me. When I am back, I will tell you what I liked the most and why.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:06 PM
ComfyShoes

Guys,

Thanks again! Enjoyed the business/pleasure trip. CD, took your advice and went to Pier W. Fantastic place, I must say. Tried their Bouillabaisse (Fresh fish, top neck Clams, shrimp and mussels in a saffron tomato broth with oven roasted garlic crostini and rouille) and Swordfish panzanella (Block island Swordfish with summer bread salad, vidalia onions,
tomatoes, & fresh basil). Both were cooked to perfection. The servers were great too.

Among places to see Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is quite entertaining (we spent nearly four hours there and needed more time ). Botanical Garden is okay enough and kids enjoyed their Costa Rican Cloud Forest replica (well, to the extent possible INSIDE a building!) and the release of costa rican butterflies (multiple varieties of longwing, "postman", blue morpho, giant owls, etc...) at 2 pm. My family visited the Great Lakes Science Center and took the customery picture of the largest rubber stamp too. Oh!, the Art museum is under construction until 2011!! Only got to see American Icon Photographs (eoughly 150 or so... obviously high quality).

I specially liked the three hours on the boat in the harbor, with gentle breeze and a superb layout of the downtown in the night. Cleveland is not Chicago but a city on a rapid turnaround. Good couple days.

Finally, before I forget, I had an interesting "revelation". As I stood watching the release of the butterflies, an old man came next to me and very gently said "it is ironic, isn't it". I thought he was talking to himself so I ignored him. After a few seconds, he said "The butterflies you want to picture.... you can take good pictures only when they are in flight but you can't because they are moving. The ones that are sitting, don't look half as good but easy to photograph. I guess the morale is what you can easily have is, many times, not worth having". Then he ruffled and shuffled away from me!! After thinking about it for a few moments, I wanted to ask him if that was a personal message from the superior being or just something that came to his mind I let you make up your own mind!!

My must-dos for anyone going there: Pier W, Rock/Roll Hall of Fame, Indians Game (I didn't do), and a boat cruise in the harbor.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:48 AM

For dinner one night, try a restaurant in little italy. YUM!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM

You should double check the art museum. They are rebuilding and all the regular exhibits are closed, with some being on tour.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
ComfyShoes

Actually I came back. And the Art Museum is closed till.... 2011!!

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Some of the art museum reopens in 2009 and there have been special exhibits.

Which cruiseline did you go on, Goodtime 3?

Glad you had a nice time!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM
ComfyShoes

Yes (goodtime 3). Right after dinner, a bunch of late-teenage women starting dancing on the deck which I initially thought my host had arranged for free!

Jokes aside, it really was a pretty evening, with a beautiful view of the downtown. Good enough that I decided to not play photographer for a change, and just enjoy the ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO