Search

Cleveland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleveland

Going to Cleveland this weekend for a wedding, but me and my two daughters (12 &
10) have a little free time, mostly on Saturday. Any ideas of fun things we can do? We are staying at the Sheraton which is downtown, anything near by?? I have no clue about the city at all. We are driving. Also on Sunday we want to do a big breakfast before I take my friend to the airport any good ideas for that?? I am open to any ideas. Thanks!! By the way we are coming from St. Paul MN any suggestions for must see stops along the way.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 10:17 AM

You could go shopping at Tower City, maybe look at their website. I also would recommend the Botanical Garden, or the Science Center (preferably just a movie at the Omnimax theater and not the whole museum itself). There's the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame, but I'm not sure a 10 year old would enjoy it as much as the 12 year old and you.

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 11:13 AM

It may be cold, but the Metroparks Zoo on the near West side might be fun for them. So would a trip to University Circle and the Natural History museum.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 11:19 AM

You're staying in the ideal location, with all attractions within walking distance or a very short bus or cab ride.

I would DEFINITELY visit The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. It is totally unique and worth a visit. There will be something there for both your girls.

I would also shop at Tower City, and have lunch there. You'll find several choices in all price ranges, including the Hard Rock (one of the nicer in the US)

Or have lunch in the Flats. There are a variety of places all waterfront, including Shooters and Joes' Crab Shack.

The Lake Erie Science Center is state-of-the-art and worth a visit if your girls are into that. Otherwise, located 10 minutes east are several wonderful museums.

Check out this link for everything Cleveland. Have fun!

http://www.cleveland.com/visit/
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Second Great Lakes Science Center or you could go to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo & The RainForest.

If you want to drive to Westlake, my nieces love going to play the games at Dave & Busters. Can have lunch there too.

Check www.cleveland.com for lots of ideas.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:24 PM

I don't have much to add, since I don't know Cleveland at all, but having been there this summer, I wouldn't waste my time at Tower City for shopping. There isn't much there that you can't find at your basic suburban mall. The other suggestions offered here would be better ways to spend your time.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:26 AM

Kathy may have a point, however, a lot of girls love shopping and just it being a new mall could be fun for them. If the Hard Rock Cafe entices you at all, at least go to Tower City for that.

Another thing, I'd choose the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame over the Science Center. I'm a 7th grade science teacher, and the science center is geared for a lot younger kids than yours.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips, I am sure we will have fun. The web site was very helpful. This is not a place I would probably choose to vacation but since we are going to be there I thought we should make the best of it. I think we really will. I am sure it will be cold, but we can handle it, after all we are from Minnesota!!Thanks to all!!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Cleveland is a wonderful city. I grew up there and I enjoy my visits home to see my family. If it wasn't so cold, I'd move back.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:26 AM

A few more specifics:

The Ohio Ballet is in town this weekend, performing in beautiful Playhouse Square a program called, "Chic, Classical & Contemporary".

The world-class Cleveland Orchestra is also in town this week, performing Handel at Severance Hall.

The Great Lakes Science Center Omnimax Theatre is presenting Coral Reef, about underwater exploration.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame currently has a special U2 exhibition.

Little Italy ROCKS -- the best, authentic Italian food available anywhere outside of Italy! Our fave is Guarinos. Try the Fettucini Alfredo, amazing.

Legacy Village is the newest (less than a month) upscale shopping venue, located 10 minutes east in suburban Beachwood next to beautiful Beachwood Mall (Nordstroms, Saks, Dillards etc).

Go to Cleveland.com for more info. Cleveland rocks, have a great time!

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:37 AM

All the downtown hotels offer sunday brunch... Hyatt, Wyndham, Rennaisance etc, but i think the Ritz Carlton is the best, with musical entertainment.