Search

A Berskhires Weekend - 11/17

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Berskhires Weekend - 11/17

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are going to stay at the Harrison House in Lenox, Ma from 11/17-11/19 (Friday thru Sunday). Has anyone heard anything about this B&B? We saw some reviews on the web, and they were all great.

Our visit's for a relatively short period and we want to mix in some sightseeing/shopping with the relaxing.

Any suggestions for a 2 1/2 day intinerary?
Anything not to be missed in Lenox that's still open at this time?
What other towns can we visit? Great Barrington/Stockbridge seem to the most popular. Or maybe North Adams?

Any suggestions for shopping, restaurants, sights are all welcome. We'll be driving in from NYC, if there's a route that's more scenic at this time in the year, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help! We are really looking forward to the trip!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Depending on when you leave NYC, you can take the Taconic to NY 23, then go east through Hillsdale toward Great Barrington, then north on 7 to Stockbridge and Lee. Both Stockbridge and Great Barrington are well worth a walk around, and GB has good restaurants. If you would be leaving NYC so as to arrive in the area after dark, use this in reverse as your route home on Sunday.

On Saturday from Lee, drive up US 7 to Williamstown and visit the Clark Museum of Art. Have lunch in Williamstown, then drive south and check out one of the historic houses -- Melville's in Pittsfield, Edith Wharton's, Daniel Chester French's. I am not giving details about these because you will have to check on the web to see if they are still open. If you are not into houses with historic or artistic roots, you can walk around Lenox and check out a place for dinner. If you are art oriented and don't get enough at the Clark Institute, you have your choice between 2 extremes: MASSMOCA (Mass Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams) or the Norman Rockwell Museum in Great Barrington.

There is a very good high end Vietnamese restaurant in Lee, and some fun casual places (Mexican, pubs) on the Main Street.

You won't have to worry about crowds!

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:06 AM

I stayed in Lee this year & was very dissapointed with the town. Lenox certainly had more going for it - the walk around the old town section was lovely but everywhere seemed to close after 5.00. I had stopped by a church in Lenox to check my map & a group of people were huddled under the bell tower waiting for it to chime - lovely sounds, so we decided to stop & look around. Stockbridge was worth the stop & my wife wished she'd bought the curtains sold at the back of the Red Lion because you just can't buy that sort of material in England.
The Hancock Shaker museum was another place we found interesting - even my 9 year old son liked it. We could have spent a lot longer there but expect 2-3 hours minimum to see everything. The food was well made there - as food goes most American places use too much mayo, too much butter & use too much cheese. I missed having a good wholesome meal or even unsmoked, uncured fried bacon but the Shaker museum had some good sandwiches & snacks to order.
We travelled back to New York stopping at a nice diner in Millerton, New York State. We saw lots of eagles overhead on the drive down.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:28 AM
OO

Your wife is in luck johngerard. Country Curtains, the shop in the Red Lion, is online as well and your wife can still buy what she missed while she was there. http://www.countrycurtains.com/

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

If you want to get outdoors and enjoy the scenery fully I recommend a hike.
I love the Bish Bash Falls. A beautiful waterfall in the SW corner of the state. It's a very short hike from the parking lot. Google the name of the Falls for directions... they're not far from Great Barrington.
You could also drive up MT.Greylock for the view. Wahconah Falls near Dalton are also very pretty.

Can you tell I'm into waterfalls!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great advice. Really looking forward to this weekend! Any other tips/suggestions are welcome!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Great Barrington has night life if you are looking for it. Stop by the brewery and grab a pint and lunch. They have the best reuben sandwich ever made. I kid you not!