clearwater beach hotel

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Laura

clearwater beach hotel

We are thinking about staying at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort inlate June. We have a 2 year old and a 9 year old. We want to lay by pool/beach each day and eat out at reasonably priced, but good resaurants at night. This will be our 2nd trip this summer and are trying to keep the price down. I can get a room for 79.50 per night there. Is it clean? Location? I am mostly concerned about cleanliness. I do not feel comfortable in hotels that look run down. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Debbie

Laura, (that's my daughters name) I was just playing around with a site I heard about called roomsaver.com. I put in Clearwater and a couple hotels showed up with great prices. I don't know anything about the Holiday Inn Sunspree, but I'm with you, I don't do run down or even slightly dirty hotels.

Debbie

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:12 PM
OliveOyl

Laura,

If this is the Holiday Inn Sunspree I'm thinking of, and I don't know of another in the area, it's in St Petersburg, not Clearwater Beach. Worse, it's in an isolated area, off by itself, and situated on Tampa Bay, not on the Gulf. I'm not so sure I'd want to stay there if I was interested in swimming the Gulf or even walks along the shore. It probably won't happen there.

They also have a marina/sailing school there and I'd been curious as to what it was like so we drove by last weekend. It was remote, in a residential neighborhood, and as I said, on the bay, not the Gulf--fine for sailing but not for those intent on a beach vacation. I'd look further, and try to find a place somewhere between St Pete *Beach* and Clearwater Beach. If an address is St. Petersburg, (as opposed to St Pete Beach) it will be on the bay. They are two separate cities.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 08:24 AM
xx

there are 2 sunsprees'...one in Clearwater Beach is like a cement block dorm...and the other is down by the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.you can see it from there..might want to stay on the beach proper.... maybe St. Pete Beach would be good...check travelocty.com for location and price comparisons.....

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 01:24 PM
josephine

we were at clearwater beach last year and we stayed at coral resorts condosits a small place one block from the ocean we loved it the pool was beautiful it was on the waterway we saw manatees swimming there my children ages were 12 14 16 i paid 350 for the week in august plus disney world was an hour away and busch gardens was35 minutes away check there website clearwater beach .com for the condo we chose go on there web site check it out coralresorts.com also it it more quieter on that side of clearwater if you want to stay at a hotel iwould suggest clearwater beach hotel on the ocean its by east shore drive.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Janet

This is probably too late to help Laura, but for anyone else who reads this thread, I should point out that there IS a Holiday Inn Sunspree on Clearwater Beach, although it's actually on Clearwater Pass. If you are leaving Clearwater Beach across the Sand Key Bridge, the HI Sunspree is the very last hotel before the bridge. It is on the water, but not much of a beach, being on the same block as Sheperd's Beach Resort. My husband and I walked around it a few months ago, and it had a nice pool area, playground equipment for the kiddies, and a putt-putt hole or two.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Helen

My husband and i and my two children then aged 7 and 10 years stayed at this hotel in June 2000. We come from Hampshire in England and found this hotel to be clean spacious. We were however in the lower blocks and not in the large block. The facilities were very good and had no complaints. There were plenty of other children (all nationalities) to play with. Especially brilliant was a half day trip to Egmont Island, a must for that 'desert island' experience. Loved America so much will be back there again 2002, this time Miami.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:56 PM
Laura

I just realized I made a mistake on the date. We are taking a second trip in late July, not June. We just got back from LA/Disneyland and are not at all interested in going to Disney this trip. We want to be right on the beach and lay by a nice pool all day and eat out at night. We would like a pool bar, kids activities, and a direct view of the ocean. We don't have a lot to spend. We are driving from Indiana, so anybeach is okay, but thought gulf side would be preferable. I am very concerned about cleanliness and hotels that are run down. Any more ideas? Anyone else stayed at this HI in Clearwater?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:55 PM
Olive Oyl

Laura, I realize now which hotel you mean. They do have a nice pool area, but it would be a huge stretch for them to claim Gulf front status. They are situated on a pass, complete with current. They have a website, but conveniently out of the picture is the huge bridge, just off to the left, leading over to Sand Key.

Your view will not be of the Gulf, but of the Pass at best, and Sand Key, just a short span away. It it were me, I'd be *very* disappointed. Can't speak to the rooms...I live in the area so don't stay.

Have you looked into the Hilton Clearwater Beach Hotel? It will undoubtedly be more, but you will have a gorgeous Gulf beach to play on.

You might also expand your search to Treasure Island/St. Pete Beach area. Don't know if the Tradewinds (St. Pete Beach) would be within your budget, but they do have units with kitchenettes, which would save considerably on meals.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Maggie

Hi,
Just got back from Clearwater Beach and stayed at the Ramada Gulfview. They have a website. I would not recommend this one! Maybe I am spoiled, but even though they advertise a major makeover, it definitely was not to the rooms! Carpet well worn, they said non-smoking, and even though there was a non-smoking sign, there was an ashtray in room. Maid service was terrible. Glasses were not replaced one day, soap scum around faucet, and same cup water ring in bathtub for 2 days where they did not clean it. Asked for extra pillows and they did promise them and when we called back for them we were told they didn't have any. This was 6 hours after they promised them. Also, pool area run down, nothing like pictures, and they are NOT on the beach, there is a breakerwall behind hotel. They advertise so many feet from the beach, but they don't say that you have to walk up the street to Adam's Mark Hotel to got to it. Weekends at Clearwater are terrible as far as being a teen hangout with them yelling obscenities at you and your children and hanging out of cars cruising. Went to South Seas resort last year at Captiva Island in Fla. and thought it was beautiful compared to Clearwater Beach. Rooms very clean and wonderful pools. Great kids program and lots of small seashells on beach. Also a trolley to take you around island.