City Map

Old May 11th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City Map

Hi,

I am wondering what the best source is for a detailed city map of Chicago?
I am interested in getting one that highlights the neighborhood around Loyola University, Roger Park.
We are bringing our daughter out to Loyola this summer to attend Loyola Univ. and will be picking up dorm "stuff".

Thanks,
Rbhm
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM

What will you be driving to move this "stuff"?
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Rbhm, I asked that question because you cannot drive just any type of vehicle on every street in Chicago. Pickups and large vehicles (including vans) are prohibited on certain streets.
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

exiledprincess

Oh I had no idea, we will be driving a van. Glad you posted, I will have to check this out.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:11 AM

You'll have to check with the particular areas but driving of pickups, vans and large(r) trucks is prohibited on Lake Shore Drive, so you'd have to come in from the west. In addition, Sheridan Road from Evanston south to Devon will be undergoing a complete resurfacing.

Some other things you need to keep in mind: street cleaning schedules and parking restrictions (i.e., times and by residential permit only). Violations of either will get you towed away PDQ.

There are a couple of neighborhoods in the Loyola University area. The Rogers Park neighborhood is where Loyola University is located - as well to the west and north of it. Edgewater is just to the south of Loyola.

Rogers Park is in the 49th Ward and Edgewater has three (40th, 48th and 49th) but you probably would be most interested in the latter two. You usually can find the information as to any vehicle and parking restrictions on the neighborhood's own website, normally on the political ward's (i.e., the alderman/alderwoman's) or on the City of Chicago's. The maps of street cleaning schedules are usually color-coded.

Inasfar as a detailed map, there is a smaller one on the Rogers Park website (but I think you probably can see the names fairly well) and a larger one can be found on the City of Chicago's website for either Rogers Park or Edgewater.

I mention the neighborhood's and ward's websites because in addition to information on these items, they usually contain information on current events and business, as well as on crime alerts. These areas are not the greatest in the city so you have check carefully.

One last thought: you could check with someone at Loyola as to any restrictions and other pertinent items (for example, crime alerts in the area).
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow a lot to check out, thanks for all the information. I will def. look into this and check with the school as well.

Rbhm
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM

1. Go to Google.com
2. Click on Maps
3. Type "Rogers Park, IL" in the address window
4. on the map find Loyola Univ
5. Zoom in

and you have a very detailed map. you can pull up pictures of the neighborhood, nearby businesses, satellite view, etc.
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:39 AM

Heavens to Betsy - you can find Chicago on google! Who knew? What would we do without you....
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Curiouser and curioser. How come, rbhm, you posted this elsewhere? "Any suggesstions for a place with good access to public transportation ( we will not have a car for this trip)."

Just getting clear, here -- is idea you bring stuff in via rented van and then ditch it?
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Guys, guys, guys...As I said above, there's a lot more information on those websites than just maps. If the OP is moving items for their daughter, they'll have to know *when* and *how* to move those items in addition to just *where*.

IMHO, just knowing street names and locations isn't going to help them much.

I'm assuming from the other post that the OP is scoping out the area around Loyola first (as they are coming in July that time). Those websites will give them a lot of information.

To the OP: If you are moving your daughter into a place with an elevator, you may have to reserve the elevator for a specific time frame. I've lived in both highrise buildings and non- in Chicago; and you have to do that in either one.

From my past experience: I once was moving into a smaller buiding where there was only one elevator (high-rises usually have a freight elevator plus passengers). I had reserved the elevator for a particular time and had the key from management for the movers (this was for the furniture - I had already moved the smaller boxes over a period of days myself, a few at a time). Another person was wanted to move in at the same time I was and they became livid with me that they could not use the elevator, instead of me. I called the manager and the matter was quickly resolved. The other person had to wait - not only for me but until after 2 others, who had reserved the elevator as well, had finished. Keep this in mind.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Heavens to Betsy - you can find Chicago on google! Who knew? What would we do without you....,

ran out of your meds?????
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Yes I did post twice. We will be coming out in July for Freshman orientation and then moving her in for the year in August. On the first trip we will fly in and as it is only for two and a half days, mostly at the school we will not rent a car.
When we move her in August we will be driving from RI so that we can bring her stuff with us.
I know you can google maps but the more detailed information seems like it will help make for a less stressful trip.
Having gone through this once before with an older daughter, I know it can be an emotional time .
thanks again for all the help.
rbhm
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM

AAFF, always appreciate the predictability. Have a nice day.