Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cite Restaurant/Cite Grill, what's the difference?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Nina

Because of the positive recommendations that I have seen here, we are hoping to eat at Cite.

On their web site they have separate days and hours for the Restaurant and for the Grill, but with no other information given.

What is the difference? Same location/menu/service etc.?

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Nina

I referring to Cite in Manhattan.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:58 AM
lisa

They're next door to one another and have different menus. The Grill is more casual (hamburger on the menu) and less expensive.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Ellen

Just ate at Cite Saturday night. My husband's sirloin was fatty, my tuna au poive was supposed to be without the au poive. The tuna was stringy. The club soda came without the requested lemon, service was ridiculously slow, and we were forced to skip coffee in order to make our show. Maybe they just had a bad night, or maybe they are going down hill. Just a heads up. We really wished we had gone somewhere else on the block.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Nina

Ellen, sorry to hear that. I've read so many positive things about Cite, but it seems to be the negative that stands out in your mind, especially such a recent experience. Now I will definitely have to rethink my choices.

One bad dinner does not a bad restaurant make, but because so many things were wrong, that one experience can not be over looked.

Thanks

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:33 AM
JJ

Wow. It is amazing how one person's negative opinion means so much more than 10 people's positive opinions. This site is a good case study of human behavior.

P.S. I heard that Union Sq. Cafe has rats (not really, but I wanted my opinion to matter)

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:41 PM
No Opinions of My Own

Thank you JJ. I have just cancelled my reservations for the Union Square Cafe.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 03:17 PM
John

Nina:

I have booked Cite fo groups on two separate occasions. Both times were wondeful. To take advantage of the wine/dinner menu I think you must eat slow and drink quick!! The wines were excellent, especialy the reds. Maybe Ellen had too little time to enjoy the night! Do not plan anything else but a hotel to stumple to after eating!!
JOHN

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 03:18 PM
observer

Stick with your original choice. Cite is fine. It's usually croweded which is always a good sign.

Maybe Ellen is just one of those people that can't be pleased. Notice one of her big complaints - "The club soda came without the requested lemon." It sounds like nitpicking to me.

The reality of the world (and the restaurant business) is that some people just can't be pleased.

Restaurants do occassionally have a bad night. If you want to read a great book about the business read "Kitchen Confidential" by Chef anthony Bourdain. You'll understand the reality of the restaurant business.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Nina

Thanks Observer and John. I understand what you are telling me, and would certainly not rule out any restaurant based on one bad experience.

However, I have been following Ellen's posts, and IMO, she is a knowledgeable, and objective poster. In fact her post sounded like something that I would have written in a similiar situation.

To some, things may sound nitpicky, to others, it tells it like it is. In Ellen's post, both poor service and quality of food are what stand out in my mind.

I will not rule out Cite for our trip, but will now be giving it more consideration, and will certainly be looking for current posts on it.

Obviously, Ellen has either eaten at Cite before, or it was recommended here, or by friends, and she expected quality food and service.

Ellen, I know that you were rushed, but did you have a chance to tell the management about the au poiveless tuna and the fatty steak? The lemon in the club soda, which I appreciate too, is not something that I would have mentioned to them ;-) Hit em with the big stuff. You were probably so rushed to get to the theater that you had no time to tell them, and it looses something in the translation when you call the next day.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:51 AM
rats

The above poster was misinformed. We rats don't go to the Union Square Cafe any more - they objected to our white sneakers and fanny packs.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Ah Rats

I doubt that it was your attire that they objected to, it was probably your self righteous attitude, and sick sense of humor.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Ellen

Nina, no, I didn't mention any of my above stated complaints to the waiter. I am just one of those who eats and observes, and if I am not happy, I don't go back again. Life is too short. We had eaten there once before and had a pleasant, but not memorable meal-but nothing bad enough for us not to go back. I only mentioned the lemon because it was one of several things that went wrong with the meal.

Observer: My husband and I eat out at least 4x per week so I feel I am a fairly good reference for NYC restaurants. If the meal had been $50 or $60 for 2, I probably wouldn't have bothered to post my opinion, but being that the dinner was more like $100 (entrees $30 each), I expected better. And, as I said in my original post, maybe they were just having an off night. But, when I need a steak knife to saw through my tuna, well, 'nuf said.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:19 AM
irene

I work in the office building above Cite and had always thought it to be a business type restaurant that is busy during the week, but lacks atmosphere on the weekend. Have never eaten there, but wouldn't go there if I were visiting NYC. There are so many other places to go that have it all: great food, nice location, atmosphere, etc.