Reload this Page >

One way flights on Priceline/Hotwire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:00 PM
xxx

I am trying to buy a last minute flight for this weekend, but only need a one way flight since I'll be driving back. Neither Priceline or Hotwire offer one way tickets. But is there a reason why I can't go ahead and request a roundtrip ticket and just never use the return flight? Thanks.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:50 PM
xxx

Anyone with advice?

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Don

This would violate Rule 100 of the Contract of Carriage. I found the violation in documentation for Delta Airlines' Contract of Carriage, but I'm guessing most if not all airlines would have similar wording for Rule 100.

Here's an excerpt of the applicable info about this type of violation. It's documented for Rule 100 in Delta's Contract of Carriage:

G)1) Compliance with Terms and Conditions of Sale

Tickets are valid for travel only when used in accordance with all terms and conditions of sale. Terms and conditions of sale include but are not limited to:

A) The passenger's itinerary, as stated on the ticket or in the passenger's reservation record...

2) Unless a ticket is reissued by Delta or its authorized agent upon payment of applicable charges, or an unauthorized representative of Delta waives applicable restrictions in writing, a ticket is invalid: ...

D) If Delta determines that the ticket has been purchased or used in a manner designed to circumvent applicable fare rules.

3) Delta specifically prohibits the practices commonly known as: ...

B) Throwaway Ticketing - The issuance, purchase or usage of round excursion fares for one way travel.

4) Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, Delta has the right in its sole discretion to: ...

D) Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary.

So the way I read all this (especially that last paragraph), if Delta concludes that you had no intention of using the entire ticket, they can charge you the difference between what you paid Priceline or Hotwire and the price of a one-way fare on the date of travel. Since you would've had to give your credit card info to get the ticket, I assume the airline and/or Priceline would add the additional charges to your credit card.

Sorry--but hope this helps...

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:03 AM
gail

Now the question is - do they ever actually cahrge you for the unused ticket? My husband has, several times, not used the return portion for a variety of reasons and never been charged. But this is all pre 9/11 and since they are tracking passengers far more carefully, I don't know the answer.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Jim

I've bought roundtrips and only used the outbound portion on several trips. Never been charged a "one way" fee although I know I could. (This habit also is another reason why airlines overbook, however!)

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:15 AM
RealWorld

May be technically a contract violation, but it happens all the time. Savvy travelers know that it can sometimes be cheaper to buy two RT tickets and toss the second half of each.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:10 AM
xxx

Thank you for the advice. Sounds like I could get charged for the unused portion, but not likely.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Clint

It seems to me that airlines & airfare consolidators are working hard to get/keep their customers. I suppose not using the second half of your ticket may well be "a violation" but do they really have the time/manpower/inclination to track the few passengers who fail to use back end of their tickets ? If it were me, I'd go for it.