COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cincinnati Layover - What to Do?

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Cincinnati Layover - What to Do?

I have a 5+ hour afternoon layover next week at the Cincinnati/N. Kentucky Int'l airport on way to Alaska, originating in Boston. Never been to Cincinnati or Kentucky for that matter. Any insight into whether a quick visit into the City would be doable and worthwhile? I would be up for a quick walking tour if time permits and there is worthwhile sighseeing, but I'm not sure what there is to see?? And what would most practical transportation to the City be (time and money wise)? The alternative would be to peruse the shops at the Airport, do some book reading, and of course eat, which would be fine too, but I don't want to miss out on opportunity to see Cincy if worthwhile. Thank you!!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Doggone, my keyboard is acting up. Forget seeing Cinci- besides, the city is a mess. Everything spread out, traffic probs, etc. The best part of Cinci is across the river in Newport. Don't flame me, 3/4 of my family is from Cinci and my husband owns a business there. The Cinci airport, as you know, is in Northern Ky. There are a few nice shops and restaurants in the terminal. Remember, when you travel "out" you still have to do the whole security thing. That's not such a long layover. Bring a few NYTimes crosswords puzzles, make some phone calls, read a novel and have a long lunch. There's nothing worth traveling to for 2 hours, trust me.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:59 AM

The airport is a long way from the city. Just stay there and do whatever there is to do.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:38 AM

There was a post just last week on this, rather than Cincy proper you might try Newport on the Levee. On the Ky. side & not far, downtown is right across the river & is only about 15-20 minutes from the Airport. If the horses are running, Turfway Park is right across the street.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:45 AM
maj

Here is the site for the airport:
http://www.cvgairport.com

This is under ground transportation:

Airport Executive Shuttle
Airport Executive Shuttle can take you into the city and give you a quick taste of the beauty and excitement of the Tri-State area, including downtown Cincinnati and the Kentucky side of the river. On-call service is provided to hotels and other locations throughout Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Airport Executive Shuttle can also arrange to drop off and pick up at various sights and attractions along their route.

Shuttles to Downtown Cincinnati and Covington cost $15 one-way and $25 round-trip. Rates to other locations vary. Call 24 hours in advance to guarantee a reservation. Walk-up service is also available, however. For more information visit the Airport Executive Shuttle desk in any of our baggage claim areas or call (859) 261-8841 or (800) 990-8841.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of it, but you might call and find out what they have to offer.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:56 AM

if your flight arrives on time i would take a cab or shuttle to one of the restaurants on the river (kentucky side) to get a view of the skyline of the city.
have a drink and meal, then go back to airport.. aprox. 15-20 minutes away. stay away from rush hour .. after 4,30 pm til 6 pm.

however, that said, any taxi will know all the easy old back roads to the airport. the locals know where to get off and take the old roads with no problem.

go have some fun.

are you flying delta? GIVE YOURSLEF 1.5 HOURS at that terminal if you have boarding pass. only 1 hour at the others.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM

What day of the week is your 5 hour layover, and what time of day?