Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Christmas/News Years in the Southwest - New Mexico

Aug 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I am starting to plan our December trip and at first thought we would hit Europe - but now we have decided to stay on this side of the pond since it seems more cost effective.

We have never been to NM and I have been thinking about Sante Fe. We would probably fly out for 7-10 days. We would be interested in renting a car and moving around and covering lots of ground. We would like 3 days to ski and to see the beauty of the area.

How is the weather at that time of year. What can we do? We are 2 grown ups and 2 boys (7 and 10). We like to hike and be outdoors and to eat yummy food, but also enjoy a few museums.

Does anyone have any feedback?

TIA
Aug 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM

You are going at such a beautiful time! Christmas in Santa Fe is truly a magical time. Walking Canyon Road on Christmas Eve is a big tradition. They close the street around 4 pm for pedestrians only. All the galleries have their luminarias lit, some serving hot drinks, some with the chimeneas burning the fragrant pinon wood, and everyone is in the Christmas spirit.

Hopefully, there will be snow as the moisture is much needed. Each year, as you can imagine, is different at the ski slopes in Santa Fe. It can be snowing on the mountain and not in town (and vice versa). Wearing sweaters and a heavy coat is usual for me. Sometimes, if the sun comes out just a heavy sweater and scarf is enough. Just depends. Averages are highs of 40's lows in the teens. We've experienced the biggest blizzard in 25 years and then we have experienced nothing but blue skies.

You could ski at Santa Fe or Taos. If you are very experienced in skiing you may prefer Taos as it offers steeper, more experienced trails. Santa Fe has opened up the back side a few years (or more) ago so it offers more than it used to. Lots of families like it as it offers many trails for their kids and it is so convenient to Santa Fe.

The weather will determine what hiking activities you can do. Bandalier and Tent Rocks would be enjoyed by your family.

DebitNM has put in info on that in several threads so put her name in the search box and New Mexico and you will find lots of info for that.

Taos is a quieter version of Santa Fe without as many museums and art galleries. We enjoyed it very much last year over NYE. The Taos Ski Valley has a NYE ski run with candles (?) and you can ski down the bottom run into the ski town. Lots of people and a very fun time. Very casual as you may expect since it's a ski town.

Lots of food choices in Santa Fe. Green and red chile is the local specialty. It can be hot if you are not used to spices so order on the side if you aren't sure.

We've commented on several threads lately for 'where to eat' so give that a search as well.

If you are flying into Albuquerque, spend some time there as well. We have several fodorites that live there and can advise what to do and where to eat.

Great choice for spending the holidays! Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Taos would be how I would spend my time.
Aug 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM

We have been twice in Santa Fe over Christmas. Christmas Eve in Santa Fe is really magically. Be sure to walk along Canyon Road on Christmas Eve after dark. Expect crispy clear air, crackling snow under your feet, no electrical light at all, glooming farolitos everywhere, bonfires, people singing carols, the smell of apple cider...

Later, have a christmas dinner in one of the fabulous restaurants.

After dinner, go to Christmas mass in one of the churches.

On Christmas day, drive to Taos Pueblo and watch the Native Americans dancing.

Go skiing, explore Bandelier National Monument, Santa Fe's wonderful museums, the impressive landscape...

Northern New Mexico will be a winter wonderland: desert covered with snow. It is magical.
Aug 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM

You've already gotten a lot of great suggestions for Santa Fe. Your boys might enjoy spending some time in Albuquerque. We have a really nice zoo, a small but pretty good aquarium, and a great children's museum which is right across the street from the natural history museum.

Lee Ann
Aug 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM

If you don't ski, you can do other outdoor activities.
Museum Hill in SF is nice and should appeal to all.

Tent Rocks, between SF and ABQ is a great place, just be sure there isn't snow.

Take the Tram for great views.

There are lots of activities that should keep you very busy.

Winter is wonderful here, bright blue skies and sunshine that makes it feel way warmers. Cold nights, perfect for sitting in front of a fire [there is nothing like the smell of pinon wood burning!].

I have recently listed a bunch of places for day trips, click my name to find them.

Also, on our first winter visit [before we moved to NM] we landed in ABQ on Christmas Eve day. It was mid 60's and my son and I looked at each other and simply said, "yesssss!"

Deb