Reload this Page >

Christmas in the U.S.

Search

Christmas in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:29 PM
michael

Christmas in the U.S.

We had our first trip (from Ireland) to the States in 2001. We arrived in N.Y., hired a car and spent two weeks driving, ending up in Florida. We really loved it. We are off to the West Coast in two weeks tim. If we were to take a short break of say a week at Christmas, are there any bargains ANYWHERE. I know your Christmas vacation period is much shorter than ours - over here a lot of us finish up on 22nd/23rd December until fist week in January. Any suggestions or information?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:39 PM
S

Over here, most school systems are out for the two week period of the weekend before Christmas through the weekend after New Years. Some places will be PACKED during that time. Others will be empty.

My in-laws live 700 miles away. We've discovered that virtually NOTHING is open on Christmas Day. You need to make sure you are somewhere where you know you can dine on that day.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:54 PM
htlemp

Between Christmas and New Years, the warmer states and larger cities will have higher rates and will be busier.

For lower rates and more availability, try a smaller city in a colder climate (avoid the southern states).

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Stephanie P.

Stay away from malls and shopping centers on 12/26/02.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:42 PM
michael

htlemp - by a "colder climate" do you mean "normal" cold, as against maybe a snow resort? Cold is no problem to us, we're not even used to having a summer over here!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:49 PM
teri

Dear Michael;
You might think about the new england states. They are very beautiful in the winter, but probably not very crowded. It will be cold and probably snowy

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Joe

The weather in the U.S. is strange in that we will have hotter summers and colder winters than the UK. Chicago, for example, can easily have days over 90 degrees in the summertime, and days around 10 degrees in the wintertime (well below anything you'll get in Ireland). By "cold", the poster probably meant anything north of the Carolinas (on the east coast), and north of Oklahoma in the plains. California doesn't really get too cold in the winter unless you're in the mountains, in which case you can get dumped on with snow. The majority of the country will be pretty cold the week between X-mas and New Years. Even as far south as Texas, temps can easily be around 30-40 degrees.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:09 PM
roger

California is not tropical, and unlike Florida, December on the West Coast can be cold, and the ocean water is unswimmable without a wet suit. I might be wrong, but from my personal knowledge as a Californian I'd think of it as an off season period and there should be some good values for you as long as you stay near the beaches (SD, LA, SF, Seattle, etc.). Avoid the mountain resorts (Tahoe, Big Bear), and the inland desert (Palm Springs)... this is where you will encounter the swarms of Americans on vacation and the higher rates.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:33 PM
J Correa

You can definitely get some good off-season rates in California around Christmas time. Unlike Florida though, don't expect beach weather. It may be cold and rainy or it may be sunny. The farther south you go - like LA or San Diego - the more likely you are to find sunny weather. The farther north, the more likely you are to find cold, rainy weather.

Personally, I think the central coast is great in the winter time, esspecially when there is a good storm brewing - surf crashing on the rocks, cloudy skies, lots of wind. But then, coming from Ireland, you probably get plenty of that type of weather.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Stephanie P.

Michael:

Additional note, stay in South Florida, like the Keys. You get 75-80 type weather.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Genesea

I'm in Paso Robles, the Central Coast of California, right between LA and SF [www.pasorobleschamber.com]. The weather is lovely: in the 60s+, it isn't rainy, and not a lot of traffic ... an option may be our county: San Luis Obispo County ... school vacation time is generally 2 weeks from mid-December to the beginning of January. College students generally travel home for the holidays ...

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Christie

How about Texas? Our weather around Christmas is usually nice (highs in the 50s). There is SO much to do and see here, especially if you are willing to drive a little. Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio are tops on my recommendation list. www.traveltex.com

BTW, I spent a week in Ireland this May doing a horse trek in County Clare, and I LOVE Ireland!