Christmas in Palm Springs?

Sep 20th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Christmas in Palm Springs?

I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was warm/sunny enough in December/New Years to sun/swim sit at the pool during this time of year. Also, out of the smaller towns and reorts--which is the most upscale? I was looking at Los Palmos in Rancho Mirage or the Hyatt in Indian wells. Indian Wells looks as rthough there are not many great dining options outside of the hotel. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
June
Sep 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM

It depends what is "warm/sunny" enough to you -- for me, it's definitely NOT warm enough -- low 70s is the average high in Palm Desert in late December. I prefer to go to Palm Desert when the highs are in the 80s or 90s.
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
lvk

I've been to the area in mid-December and over the New Year holiday and have had different experiences each time. There were times it was warm enough to sit by the pool (mid-high 70's), and others where I was in long sleeves the entire weekend (mid-high 60's).

The Rancho Las Palmas has been recently redone, and is close to shops and restaurants. You should be aware, however, that they have been marketing pretty strongly to families, so your poolside time may not be as peaceful as you would like.

You might also check out the Renaissance Esmeralda, La Quinta Resort and the J.W. Marriott Desert Springs.
Sep 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Hello canterbury.

I agree with lvk---there is a fair amount of variability in the weather and it also depends upon what environment you are acclimatized to. All of the resorts will heat their pools to comfortable temperatures, so it may be more of a function of the air temperature when you get out. For that, there is always a hop in a 102 degree spa!

You mention smaller towns and resorts. It is not so much a matter of smaller towns, but what you are looking for in the scale of a resort. I would not characterize Desert Springs, La Quinta or Las Palmas as smaller resorts. If you provide some more insight into what you are looking for, I would be happy to make some suggestions.

As far as dining, there are a handful of solid dining choices outside of the hotels and resorts in Indian Wells. If you do stay in IW and are worried about that, let me reassure you that there are abundant choices in LQ and Palm Desert within a 10 minute car ride.

Best,
PSL
Sep 26th, 2009, 05:31 PM

I am a past President of the Palm Springs chamber of Commerce. For hotels go to http://palmsprings.com/hotels/index.html

Palm Springs is the most fun city in the valley. That's why I live here. Indian Wells and Palm Desert is more like staying at a typical suburban strip mall.

As far as hotels, we have them all. There are the big impersonal chain resorts, there are romantic bed and breakfasts, historic hotels, budget motels, gay hotels, and even the best clothing optional resort in the US for those wanting an all over suntan.

Palm Springs has great restaurants from Johannes, to Le Vallaurius, to Wangs, to Pomme Frites, Matchbox, the Falls, Dinks, etc.

All good hotels heat their pools that time of the year.

Palm Springs is the sunniest city in the US. For instance the last time it rained here was almsost 8 months OK. So statistically speaking you will have the best weather in the US here.

Now just like all over the world you can get cold fronts and heat waves so can Palm Springs. However the odds are on Palm Springs for the best weather.

Now is it warm enough at Christmas? Most of the world has cold weather at that time period so highs in the 70's is warm. The town will be packed with the snowbirds from Canada, the midwest, East Coast, Pacific Northwest, Europe, Asia etc. Everyone escaping the cold.
Sep 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Love Palm Springs and surrounding towns..
listen to the former chamber president..
we love Le Vallauruis for high end but can do it for lunch on the patio for a lot less $$.
We always take the Pine to Palms highway in from SD.
We usually go to La Quinta or Rancho Las Palmas..
Sherman's Deli is one of the best Jewish delis on the west coast.
Sep 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM

tcotta

I appreciate the Palm Springs boosterism, but "strip mall" is a bit much. Other desert resort cities have amenities PS doesn't---i.e. a hotel with a golf course on property.

The point is, all of the destination resort cities of the Coachella Valley have a lot to offer, depending on the particular aspects of what the visitor is looking for...

PSL
Sep 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM

The shops along Palm Canyon are mostly tacky t-shirt shops with many closed storefronts. The mall downtown has been closed for years.

El Paseo in Palm Desert is much better for shopping (even just window shopping since it is pretty pricey).