Christmas in NY with Family Group of 21

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 21 people ranging in age from 11 to 74. Every year we try to plan a holiday event. Last year we all saw Wintuk (which was a bomb) and this year we had a private room in a restaurant in Bayside, Queens for an early dinner and then we went into the city for the Holiday Lights tour, which was just okay. All together we ended up spending something like $2500 for the day. I am in charge of next year's outing and would like to make it special. Next year may be either Thanksgiving weekend or a Christmas time event. Some of the family members fly in from the Seattle area and we are not sure which time they will be coming.
I myself would like to go somewhere in the tri-state area over night but there are not too many people who are in to that idea. Any good ideas?
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM

OK, maybe it's just me, but your question was incomprehensible to me. You are a group of 21 coming either Thanksgiving or Christmas? You want to be in NYC or in the tri-state area?

What kind of "event" are you looking for? Weekend away? Entertainment? Active? Sightseeing? Cost?
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Try faking some kind of serious illness so that you don't have to be burdened with the task.

Looks like there is no way to make everyone happy...
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Agreed - you need to provide more info:

When
What (anything outdoors? indoors? just a meal?)
Budget?

I would think for $100 per person you could find something better than a restaurant in Bayside.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM

Take everyone on bateauxnewyork.com
It's a meal plus great sightseeing and memorable. If you want to stay overnight somewhere, get a group deal at a hotel in Manhattan like the Marriott Financial or the Embassy Suites.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Newport, RI
Cooperstown, NY
Williamstown, MA
Key West,FL
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Last week we had over 30 people for dinner at Cafe Deville on 3rd and 13th. It ia large and there was soemething on the menu for every person and every disiease and it cost substantially less.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM

We ourselves spring for the full "family plus" at our museums.

However, for $3300 you could become a naturalist level member at the American Museum of Natural History which includes a private holiday party at the museum.

Have the kids watch "Night at the Museum" before they come.

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM

I agree that a little more info would be helpful. Sounds like the last two gatherings were not too successful. Can you analyze why? Was it Cirque du Soleil or a group of 21 people trying to enjoy it? Was it the Harbour Lights tour, or again such a large and varied group trying to enjoy it? Was it the weather? Was it the food? Too much walking, not enough walking? Too much sitting around, not enough sitting around? Too much time together as a group, or not enough? Was transport unorganized? If you have been in charge of those events, how would you have improved them?

Any shared interests, dislikes, mobility issues? Any musical interests or performers in the family or hobbies that could be the focus of an outing? Any family history that could be researched or shared as part of an outing? (For example, a walking tour with the Lower East Side Tenement Museum (see http://www.tenement.org) springs to mind as being enjoyable for most ages, or a tour of the tenement itself. A backstage tour of a Broadway theatre or Lincoln Center and then a show/concert is another if there are musicians or performers in the group. Or a tour of the Stock Exchange for MBA types, a tour of the Natural History Museum for budding paleontologists, you get the idea.)

One problem with November or December is that it can be too cold for many outdoor activities which otherwise could be quite enjoyable in tri-state area (beach, canoeing, etc). Are other months possible? Or something like October (Columbus Day) when leaves are turning and outdoor activities are more possible may be better.

Without knowing any other particular facts about your family and plans that might help, I can only throw out some suggestions. For my Dad’s 80th last year, we had a group of very similar size and chartered the whole yellow water taxi boat for ourselves which was a great day. However, this was in October and we had one of those perfect NYC days with totally clear blue skies and warm temps, so everyone spent the whole cruise up on the top deck. Not sure you would get that kind of day at Thanksgiving or December. (There is a lower indoor deck so in cold temps it would work.) I could get information on this if you were interested. It did the same route as the bateaux mentioned above, plus we went down and under the Verrazano bridge; you can pick your own itin. I believe that there are sailboats you can charter as well.

An altruistic day may also work, volunteer at a soup kitchen or church either locally or go someplace to work for the day. Habitat for Humanity sometimes takes day workers, or volunteer for something like the Special Olympics or a walk for the cure event in your area. If your gathering is at Christmas, have everyone bring a toy for a local toy drive and volunteer to wrap or collect for that, or sponsor a holiday party at a local shelter or place of worship.

You could also split the group up by interest or activity and then get everyone together for meal at the end of the day. There is no reason why the group has to do everything together. A group can play golf and another group go birding or to a museum. I know from experience that is hard for 21 people to find a shared interest (other than food).

I like all the suggestions above for trips in the area, but for just one night they could be a long haul from NYC or even Boston airports, esp. in December or late Nov with weather issues and the short days. Another reason to try for October or other months if possible. (Of course the Keys are more accessible for flights but is not in the tri-state area.)

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for all of your replies. I understand my post was a bit muddled. We all live in NY except for one sister flying in from the West coast. We were all born and raised on the lower east side but have moved out to the outer boroughs and Long Island. We are not sure when out west coast sister will be visiting but it will be either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I would like an overnight trip somewhere not too far away since some are traveling large distances to get here. No one other than me wants an overnight trip but I thought if I could come up with a good idea I might be able to sway them! All the ideas already given are great ones. Wintuk was just a bad show I think. Also it is hard navigating the jam packed city with a large group of older and young people. I love this idea that was given: Try faking some kind of serious illness so that you don't have to be burdened with the task. LOL
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I don't think that budget will accomodate an overnight stay and a meal, but now that you've explained more, I understand why you want an overnight. If you're willing to up the budget, what about an overnight in nice inn on Long Island? Jedediah Hawkins is an absolutely beautiful inn and restaurant in Jamesport.
http://www.jedediahhawkinsinn.com/index01.php If the older folks can walk stairs, a night there and a nice meal would be wonderful if they can fit you all. North Fork Table and Inn is also supposed to be great. Don't know how many rooms they have. http://northforktableandinn.com/about/

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM

"We all live in Ne York except for one sister"
and "not too far away as some will be traveling long distances"?

I wouldn't try to sway the crowd if no one else wants an overnight-if anyone's unhappy then it's all on you. Come up with a non-overnight for the mob, then reward yourself and recover with a getaway after.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM

That's a good idea!
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM

OK, now I think I understand a little better. I guess I can agree with your relatives who are travelling from far distances that they don't want to arrive in NY and then travel further for some "overnight." They're probably looking for some fun in NYC.

All that being said, some of my choices would probably depend on whether you did this for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Over Christmas, it might be fun to do some of the "Christmas-y" things the city has to offer. Dinner at the Sea Grill overloking the rink? Dinner at Bryant Park Grill and ice skating in Bryant Park? A Christmas Carol or some other Christmas show? What about a trip to the Metropolitan Museum to see the Christmas tree and have drinks on the mezzanine on a weekend night?