Search

Christmas in New York City

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 07:17 AM
blh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in New York City

We are planning a trip to New York City over Christmas (Dec. 20-27). We have our Radio City Christmas Spectacular tickets, but are wondering if there are other seasonal shows. Also, do most of the Broadway shows play Christmas week?
Does Letterman tape during Christmas? Any other advice would be appreciated - restaurants that are especiallly nice during Christmas,etc. Thanks for your help.
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM

There's a version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol that is perfomred at the theater in Madison Square Garden. They usually hire a well known actor for the part of Scrooge. The city is spectacular at Christmas. Don't miss the awesome window displays at the major department stores. It would help to know what type of food, price range, etc. for restaurant recommendations.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:12 AM
GoTravel

My entire family went last year and we had a blast. Yes, the plays are all on but I'm not sure about Letterman.

Go ice skating at either Wollman Rink or Rock Center. Check out the dates for the Nutcracker (although I think it is in late November). The city is decked out and it is gorgeous.

Make sure you check out the window displays in the major department stores. Bergdorf Goodman had my favorites last year.

Have tea at either the St. Regis, The Pierre, or The Plaza.

Check the concert schedule for Carnegie Hall.

If you are a Christian, go to Midnight Mass at St. Patricks Cathedral.

My mind is drawing a blank. I'll add more as soon as I remember.

Old May 20th, 2003, 10:10 AM

The end-of-the-year holiday season is one of the best and busiest times in New York.
Yes, the theaters do perform that week, probably the busiest week of the Broadway season, so get your tickets early if you want to see a popular show.
Also, the NY City Ballet's version of The Nutcracker is the best, and yes, it is performed through early January.
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:50 PM
blh
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm starting a list of things to see and do!

Merilee - we like American, French, Italian, Mexican, & German food. We are hoping to find some good food at moderate prices - at lunch or prix fixe menus. Any good suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks GoTravel and HowardR for suggesting the Nutcracker. We will try to get Broadway tickets early - so far they are not posted for those dates on the web. I love the suggestion for Midnight Mass at St. Patricks. Please add more ideas as you think of them!
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM
jasper

some hints...don't do to much of the holiday theatre stuff. the buzz in new york is amazing at christmas. on the street, in the stores, etc...i myself think the radio city christmas show is missable. but the nutcracker at the met sounds great. i second that about st. pats, department stores, and i'm such a sucker for christmas at rockerfeller center. it really is cool. don't forget perhaps a horse carriage ride/hot chocolate in the park? : )

Old May 20th, 2003, 01:05 PM
GoTravel

bhl, contact The Lincoln Center for Nutcracker tickets.

Old May 20th, 2003, 02:07 PM

The Nutcracker is performed by the New York City Ballet at the New York State Theater in Lincoln Center.
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:23 PM
SAB

I think you have to get tickets for midnight Mass at St. Patrick's. I know that we had them when we went, but they were given to us.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Many of the churches put on music programs. When you get here buy the magazine "Time Out" it will give you many suggestions.

Old May 21st, 2003, 06:58 AM

Am going to be in NYC from 20-25 Dec this year too. Any recommendations for things that you can only do/are best done at Christmas gratefully received.
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:16 AM

In addition to things already mentioned, the Christmas tree at the Metropolitan museum-go on a Fri night when they're open late & have live music & drinks; windows at Barney's, Lord & Taylor, Saks; Tavern on the Green.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:03 AM

NYC is great at that time of year but please be prepared for crowds. I've been to NYC many times at various times of the year but never saw crowds like Dec 2001 (when it was expected to be quieter than usual). You couldn't get near Rockefeller Center. A 90 minute wait for skating at Waldman Rink. 3 hour wait for Ferris Wheel at the then new Toys R Us in Times Sq. Not trying to discourage your trip but rather just give you ample warning of what to expect. We still had a wonderful trip and would go again but the crowds limited our ability to do as much as we had hoped.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:09 AM

Bennie is right, you will only love NYC at Christmastime if you can deal with HUGE crowds and long lines. It's my least favorite time of year to be here. Guess I'm just an ol' Scrooge! ;-)
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:33 PM

Great Italin place is called Southwest 44. It's close to Broadway shows. It's very reasonably priced. It is very small, so I suggest yo get there early before the show to ensure a seat!
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:20 PM

We went to New York for Christmas several years ago and found that a number of theaters were closed on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas day. Also a lot of restaurants will be closed on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day. If they are open, check about whether they are offering only a special dinner or buffet and the cost. It could be an expensive surprise.
Luckily, NYC has plenty of deli's and Chinese restaurants that will be open. That's what we did those two days.