Christmas eve travel from SC to New Jersey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from Greenville, SC to Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Suggestions for traveling on Christmas eve or Christmas day? This is our first time traveling above Virginia by car
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 05:53 AM

I don't think it matters all that much - except that I have found road services (gas, food, etc) harder to find in NC and very southern VA - and they may be closed on Christmas Day.

If you leave 12/24, I would do so as early in day as possible to avoid whatever there may be of rush hour in DC/Baltimore area - although I think traffic will be light that day anyway and those working will probably leave by noon.

Keep an eye on weather reports - right now things should be clear either day, but even a little snow or freezing something can really create a mess.

Anytime you travel to colder climates in the winter it is a good idea to have a blanket/warm coat in car, flashlight - and perhpas a bag of kitty litter for putting under wheels if stuck in snow/ice.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM

And for a big change we are having snow forecast for Christmas in Charlotte.
I think you would do best to come up 85 to I77, north to I81 to whatever interstate (78 maybe) that goes to NJ. We drove from Charlotte to NJ in 11 hours on that route--quite amazing. You are about 2 hours south of us.
I would NOT go up I95.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM

I would take I 77 to I 81 N to I 76 and then E to NJ. I would not take I 95 through Richmond, DC and Baltimore. You would go crazy.

I 81 in VA has some great cities to stop for a rest. Abingdon, Wytheville, Lexington, Staunton, et al.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information and tips. I will check the route away from I95. We were leaving Christmas day until the forecast called for snow here. We know we should definitely leave ahead of that.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 06:46 AM

The 81 route is ridiculously far west for Cherry Hill (and really for all of New Jersey in most instances) and since it takes them farther west and is on an elevation, far more likely to be snowy. I usually like it, but I don't think it makes sense in this instance.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 08:44 AM

I would take I95 - although not my favorite road in the world, it is the most direct for your purposes. I drive several times/year between Boston and NC and have tried both routes. It is my opinion that the advantages of the more western route are equalized by the more rural roads one must take in SC/NC to actually get to that route.

I have driven thru Baltimore/Washington/Richmond several times/year and maintained a reasonable amount of sanity.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 04:03 AM

Geez, Gail, believe it or not, NC and SC have entered the world of interstates. I85 to I77 to I81 to whatever the PA interstate is that goes to NJ.
I mentioned that we drove to essentially the area they are going in 11 hours from Charlotte, and they are a bit west and south of us by 2 hours. There are no major cities for traffic.
As for being "ridiculously west of where they are going", Greenville SC (NOT NC), IS west. The I81 route is basically a hypotenuse of the triangle and hence a shorter distance than going on I95--through at least 3 major metropolitan areas of the east coast.
The snowfall forecast at least for Charlotte has been greatly downgraded. However, the forcast is for it to be concentrated on the I95 corridor--news you can use. But check it further. It is being updated pretty regularly here.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Hope you are gone, and on your way. No snow yet, but coming tis afternoon and evening. We are concerned about our children driving up from Florida tomorrow, but it will be what it will be.