Reload this Page >

Washington DC and it's SNOWING!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:02 PM
LN

It doesn't happen very often folks but it is snowing in the DC area. It will make travel a bear but for right now it looks beautiful.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:18 PM
NYGirl

We are waiting for the white stuff to hit NYC and give us a White Christmas

Happy Holidays and Stay Safe!!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Grizzly

Lucky lucky.
Here we sit in Northwest Montana with not a flake. Going to be an unusual green Christmas.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:36 PM
lana

I am JEALOUS!!!! We are desperately waiting for snow, so we can have a "White Christmas" here in Omaha, NE.
It is definitely cold enough!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 01:06 PM
r-travels

Hey Grizzly & Iana - green is a Christmas color! I have absolutely no problem looking out the window and seeing a green lawn.

Unfortunately, here near Albany NY they are saying 1 foot, and maybe as much as 2. Just two days ago they said maybe a snowless holiday. Just when the last of the snow in my yard had almost melted away - damn! No new snow YET.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 01:42 PM
BTilke

You are SOOO lucky and we're SOOO jealous. We're in Germany, you'd think we'd have snow, but it's so warm, I didn't even wear a coat on the late night walk with the dog. Nonetheless, we had a merry Christmas eve, a church service at 7 pm (I don't know much German, but I recognized the music and just sang away, hoping that I wasn't murdering the words too much), a lovely Christmas eve dinner with our German relatives, exchanged presents (modest by U.S. standards but every gift truly appreciated), and drank the last of a case of wine we brought along from the Loire Valley.
Merry Christmas to everyone back in the U.S. Best wishes for a safe, healthy and happy 2003!
BTilke (Brussels, Belgium and Bochum, Germany)

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Pam

No snow at the Golden Gate..we're between downpours so the dkies are clear and the views breathtaking! Happy so and so to all.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Prue

While here in Australia its dry and hot - as it has been for weeks on end!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Grizzly

Btilke---Am jealous of you bring over there.
Happy holidays

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Austin

It's misty in Asheville, NC after steady rain all day. However... they're saying it may freeze by morning, with a possibly dusting of snow by dawn.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 04:59 PM
xx

You people not familiar with what happens in the Washington, DC area regarding snow would not believe it.

The media plays it up while still a low pressure area in the south. That is the clue for momma to hop into her station wagon and head to the supermarkets to load up on bread, milk, and toilet paper. The schools close early, but that legit because of the narrow country roads in the MD & VA suburbs. Of course the gov't also closes early so that puts thousands of cars on the roads making clearing them difficult.
Then the bragging rights begin when the gov't workers finally go to work to determine who had the most snow. Mind you, probably 60% of the people never drove in snow before. When there is more than two inches, it's panicsville.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 05:08 PM
r-travels

Everyone and their brother here in upstate NY also go out to buy a years supply of milk, bread, and TP ! the parking lots at supermarkets get jammed. No snow yet, thank you! I wish it was raining .... it shovels so much more easily than snow!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 07:30 PM
NewYorkCity

It has started to snow!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 10:34 PM
xxx

The last time we had snow on the ground on Christmas day in Massachusetts was 1974. The weathermen are forecasting anywhere from 6 inches to 18 inches of snow tomorrow, starting in the morning, with the worst part of the storm starting at 6pm.

The DPW has announced that it has 200,000 tons of both salt and sand for the roads throughout the state.

Luckily this is a big vacation week, so the plows will be able to get out without a lot of traffic on the roads. Guess I won't know if I'll get to work on Thursday until I get up Thursday morning. Here's to an extra day off.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Parrot Mom

Yes, xxx, its 7:36 next to Route 495 and it's just started. You just know west of 495 we will get buried...The snowblower is ready to go, but probably not until tomorrow when it stops..To all my buddies on Fodors.com a very Merry Christmas and Happy and Peaceful New Year. Thanks for all the advice.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 04:29 AM
cindy

Here in Toronto, we came home from church last night over dry roads and woke up this morning to lots of white stuff, with more coming. My daughter in New York is due to fly in this morning, so I've got my fingers crossed that all will be well. My other daughter, who LOVES a white Christmas, is in Hawaii right now so she's out of luck unless she goes up to the Mauna Kea summit!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 04:43 AM
havkhones

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Here in Grand Rapids Michigan we had 2 inches of fresh snow overnight on top of the 2-3 inches that was already on the ground. I guess we caught the back side of the storm that is hitting the east coast.

Its been 15-20 years as I remember since we havent had a white Christmas. I love it!!

The best part unlike some of the previous posts, drivers around here are not fazed by 2 inches let alone 2 feet of fresh snow.

Now the Lake effect snow starts and anything is possible. Thank you Lord for that big lake off to my west, one of the 5 best(The Great Lakes) snow making machines in the world.

Merry Christmas again...this afternoon we will be out sledding in the snow!!! woohoo!!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 05:23 AM
sue

Well here I sit in the Washington DC area and watching the snow pile up. Itis very beautiful but I have train tickets to NYC tomorrow morning early. What is the city like in the snow? Is it accumulating much? Will we be able to get around easily. Most of the days will be spent walking -do they shovel the sidewalks quickly or should we prepare for artic conditions?! I hope we can make it to Baltimore to catch the Amtrak train!!!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 08:52 AM
LN

well here it is Christmas Day and it's snowing again!! It has been beautiful and people have made it to church and to their families (ours gets together on Christmas Eve and the kids were ecstatic) It's been a really nice thread folks and I wish you a Happy and peaceful New Year. God Bless!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Shannon

It is a beautiful Christmas morning here in L.A., cool & crisp (by L.A. standards), and the sun smiling down on all of us. We haven't had snow here in over 50 years, and I suspect we'll have to wait a little longer. Merry Christmas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -