Search

Christmas@Disney

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas@Disney

We are visiting Orlando December 18th until January 4th 2003, and would like advice on what clothing to pack, as we've heard it can get very cold! Any additional advice for a brilliant Xmas in Orlndo would be great. Thank you.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:53 AM

I live in Florida and went to WDW last December and my advice is "who knows". It is quite early to predict weather. We have been there when it was in the high 70's during the day and last year it was quite cool most days and rained frequently which was very unusual. I'd wait until early December and then look at accuweather. One thing I can guarantee you is that the only snow you will see is the fake stuff at MGM.

I have a fun recommendation for Disney World. Do a resort/pub crawl on the monorail stopping at the resorts for a drink and hors'doeurves at each and a look at the elaborate huge christmas trees. That will get you in the holiday spirit and you don't have to drink and drive.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:35 AM
GoTravel

Prepare for large crowds. Agree with above, could be 40 and could be 80 degrees. Pack layers.

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:36 PM

You picked a great time to go! We went for our first visit this past Christmas--we loved all the decorations, special parades. It seemed like Christmas even though there wasn't any snow.
We had weather in the 70s, and it got into the rainy 40s at night. Pack layers! Our little boys wore fleece jackets during the day one day, and shorts another day! Have fun!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:51 PM

Unfortunately, Orlando in December can be 40 degrees or 75 degrees. It really varies year to year AND day to day. I would be optimistic and pack your swimsuits, shorts ad t-shirts, but also be prepared. Bring sweatshirts, a light jacket and slacks. Even if it's cold the sun can be strong so take your spf 15 or higher also! Have fun. We've spent at least 6 o7 Christmas holidays in central Florida and have managed to have a good time whether it's hot or cold. Another important thing to remember schedule wise is that it gets dark early in December usually before 6:00 p.m.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 07:12 AM

I agree with the above. You just don't know.... The year we went we were very lucky..... We dressed in layers for the day. In the early morning and evenings we did require a light windbreaker. We had a great trip - as I'm sure your family will. We have been in both summer and at Christmas. It truly was "magical" during the Season. The park was beautifully decorated and very, very festive..... Have fun planning your trip..... Vacationmom
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:13 PM

I've lived in South Florida all my life and like the above posts said, you never know what the weather will be like in December/early January. Take stuff you can layer, from tee shirts to long sleeve shirts to sweaters/sweats to windbreakers. Jeans and shorts are also wise. Sorry we can't help more, but that's what you have to expect in Mickey's Paradise... LOL
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:19 PM

Always check weather.com a few days before you leave. You can at least get an idea for a week! I'd go to theme parks as close to the 18th as possible. I will never make that trip gain at XMas, the crowds were awful. Try to visit other fun areas...Celebration, Winter Park, etc.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:32 AM

I've been to WDW every year during Christmas week for the past 20 years. I agree with what everyone has said re: weather. Some years it has been in the 40's during the day (usually get up to 50 & 60). Other years it is as high as 79 or more. I can suggest re: your visit during the high volume week that you avoid WDW itself, as well as the other parks on Christmas Day (if you mind the crowds). Plan other things during that day. Other than that, personally, as much as I dislike crowds, the feeling of XMAS that you have when you are there is indeed magical. I sit often and people watch when it gets to be too much. It's an unforgettable experience and one that keeps, at least me, going back time after time. Have fun!