Choose one island or two?

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choose one island or two?

Reading multiple posts on this forum, now I have this question on my mind. Since, I am travelling with kids (6 and 1) should I be staying at only one island or choose 2 like I originally planned?
We will be flying from dallas and the total travel time will be more than 12 hrs with stopover and all. I also have to keep the 6hrs time difference in mind, specially with the little one. We have total 14 vacation days, 2 of which go on flying itself.
If I choose Big Island, there is so much to see and do. Staying at Kona first and then near the volcano and finally at Hilo, that itself will take up so much time. So now, I am wondering if it will be too hectic to travel with kids from one island to another?
What are your opinions? We dont want to go to multiple islands just for "seeing" more than one island. The jet-lag itself will be hard to get over for the kids, I am confused as what I should do.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:59 AM

Fly into Oahu and hang out there for two or three days. Then fly over to the Big Island.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:30 AM

Do one island. See if you can fly direct into Kona. More and more airlines are flying directly there from the west coast.

Bill
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you fly direct to Big Island? If yes, I would just go there.

Actually (as you know from ny other posts I have been only to Oahu and Maui and love 'em) with your family situation, I would pick one island... whichever one. I really do think it will make for an easier less stressful more pleasant, and possibly less expensive vacation for your family.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM

suze,

United flies to Kona from SFO and Aloha flies from Oakland to Kona. I think there are others. ATA maybe?

Bill
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, based on all the responses and looking at the number of days we have in hand, we decided on one island only. Mostly it will be BI. Gonna book the tickets tonite.
Thank you everyone for all the inputs. This is the first time I am trying out FODORS, and i love love love it!!