Hawaii - Big island question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First timer to Hawaii - I have some basic questions. We (family of 4) are going to Hawaii in Aug. We are planning to go to Big Island for the first 3 days of our trip and spend the next 5 days in Oahu. We are going to use our FF miles to book roundtrip ticket from Honolulu to Big Island. As I understand there are 2 airports - Hilo and Kona. Which should we fly to? We are interested in going to the Volcanoes National Park as well as beaches. Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Just my 2 cents here...you'll wish you'd spent 5 days on Hawai`i island, or more. It's a h-u-g-e island (larger than all our other islands, combined) with so much to see.

As for which airport to use, Hilo is tropical; Kona is desert (gorgeous fields of old lava flows). If Volcanoes NP is your prime destination, choose Hilo Airport.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I second auntiemaria's advice, especially if you'll be staying in Honolulu. Five days of traffic and noise is not the best way to end a Hawaii trip. But if you'll be staying on another part of Oahu (e.g north shore), that's great.

As for the Big Island, virtually all of the white sand beaches are on the Kona/leeward/west side, while VNP and Hilo are on the Hilo/windward/east side. Which airport to fly into depends where you'll be spending most of your time. Make a list of activities and places to see, and decide based on that list.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Hi,
We just returned home and we did a similar jaunt---we were on Maui for 5 days and then went to the Big Island for 3 days and then back to Maui for 6 days. It really depends on where you are staying--we stayed at the Hilton, which is near (kind of) Kona. We took one day and went to Volcanoes National Park---it was a reeeeeally long day. We have 2 kids, ages 6 and 7. I would recommend--(and tried to do this but it was too late for us)--that if you are staying on the Kona side, to fly into Hilo early in the morning, do the park and other areas of interest on that side then drive to your hotel on the Kona side later that day (or evening), then fly out of Kona two days later. It would really save you a lot of time on the road. Like I said, it just depends on where you're staying. Hope this helps! We had a wonderful time on the Big Island, and three days definately wasn't enough time there---but you WILL get a feel for the diversity of the island in that amount of time.
Jill
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:42 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. I'm new to this site so forgive me for sounding stupid. Your further insite on my original message is appreciated.--Would you recommend us to spend more time on the Hilo or Kona side. What shouldn't we miss?--Have been to 2 Luaus on Oahu, should we go to one on the Big Island?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:28 PM

Pick up a copy of "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed. It gives an excellent description of what the island has to offer, where to stay, etc. It's probably the best $10 you'll ever spend.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
maw

You can go to a luau anywhere in Hawaii but what other Hawaiian Island can you see an incredibly active volcano?

Try konaweb.com and check out the "visiting the Big Island" forum for in depth info.

You will wish you had at the very least one more day on the Big Island--3 days will not give you much time at all..just the volcano area alone you could easily spend 2 days, and to get to the other side (Kona) of the island is a LONG long drive. As other posters said you may just have to decide your priority--beaches or volcano and stick with that one side. Can you add more days to your trip?
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Okay, I'll answer your question. Our family was on the Big Island in August 2003, (daughters ages 6 & 8 1/2). We stayed on the Kohala Coast, flying in & out of Kona. It was an easy drive to the other side of the island. One day we went to visit the beaches & the botanical garden. Another day was volcano day. Yes, it was long but worth it. We hiked out to the lava after an early dinner while it was dusk, and with our flashlights. We told out little one that no one could carry her, but for as far as she hiked, she would have to hike back! It was 1 1/2 miles to the lava flow (about 1 hour each way) and absolutely amazing. My daughter earned her nickname "Lava girl" that day, and a huge amount of self confidence (she had been afraid of volcanoes until then). They slept on the ride back to the hotel...The beaches on the Kohala Coast are great, & we found ourselves there almost everyday after sightseeing. Waimea is very close & we ate many wonderful dinners there. In a nutshell, use the Kona airport, stay on the Kohala Coast & drive the island! There's much to see & explore!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses. I am going to see if it is possible to fly into Kona and leave from Hilo.

luckyinla, any recommendations on where to stay? Family friendly without breaking the bank?

Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Hilo tends to be cooler and rainier but very nice. Many beautiful gardens. You can drive around the whole island in one day and see a lot of things. We always stay in Kona -- usually at the Aston Kona By The Sea condos and that is lovely. A day trip to the volcano is highly feasible -- especially if you leave fairly early in the morning. Roads are good and you should have no trouble. You'll have fun where ever you go. Have a great trip.

Bob & Barb
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM

If it was me I would fly into Hilo and spend at least the first night at VNP. That way you can do the evening hike out to the lava field. Then the next day watch the sun and mist rise from the crater and spend the day hiking the main paths and the Thurston lava tube. I'm not much of a hiker but it was almost surreal and well worth it. Then drive to Kona area that evening. The second best thing we did on the Big Island we did was horseback riding in beautiful Waipio Valley. Place of Refuge would also be a good place to go. The many beaches all have very different characteristics and we saw many sea turtles on the Big Island. Is there anyway to reverse the amount of time on the Big Island? We spent a few days on Oahu and 8 days on the Big Island and could have spent a whole other week on the Big Island. We enjoyed it more than Maui too. We are trying Kauai next.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Pipry,

We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, & were upgraded to full ocean view at no extra charge upon check-in. It is located on Hapuna Beach, one of the best beaches on the Big Island, and the sister hotel to the Mauna Kea located next door (on the other best beach!) Certainly more affordable than the other resorts nearby (ie Four Seasons) and not quite as busy as say the Hilton Waikoloa. Have seen that it pops up on Priceline according to Biddingfortravel.com. It depends on your preferences. I wanted an excellant location, not too touristy, and a beach with amentities to enjoy. Was it worth it? You bet! (For Kohala Coast check out the Hapuna Beach Prince, Mauna Kea & Mauna Lani. Some deals at the Hilton if you don't mind an "unnatural" beach & a more touristy/chaotic atmoshpere)
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:53 AM

If you want to see the volcano, then I would stay on the Hilo side. You are going to want to go out to the volcano either before dawn (my preference) or at sunset. Either way, if you stay on the other coast, you are going to have a long drive before even beginning to see the volcano.

While the beaches are not as good on that side, it's not like you need to be to the beach early or late, so there would not be that rush of driving to get there by a certain time.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Hi We have been to Hawaii 3 times in the past couple of years with our 2 children. Definitely spend more time on the Big Island. The volcano is great. 2 years we really didn't see the lava flowing except at night off the hillside. But when you can hike out to the lva it is an experience you will never forget. My children in 2002 15 and 10 my son was close enough to throw rocks in the flowing lava. We hiked for about a half hour on a marked trail and there were forest rangers around watching and providing us with information. Good walking shoes a must and a flashlight. The hilton was a great property for children but we loved the Hapuan Prince is now my favorite with a pool overlloking the ocean and one of the best beaches around. Have a great time.