Children in Santa Fe?

Jun 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Children in Santa Fe?

We are considering going to Santa Fe next week with our children, ages 9 and 12. Is that a good place for a family vacation? We would need to do more than look in art galleries to keep them occupied.
Any thoughts? (I found lodging).

[email protected]
Jun 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM

LauraD,

While I have never specifically thought of Santa Fe as a particularly exciting place for children, depending on their tastes, there are things for them to do.

First, there is a children's museum that is supposed to have lots of interactive exhibits for them to get involved with. There is also a planetarium, bird sanctuary and Bandolier--if they like the outdoors. Other activities such as horse-back riding and rafting are available fairly close by.

You might want to check out http://www.santafeliving.com/ and click on "family attractions' to see what else might be offered.

Good luck.

AL
Jun 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM

We visit Santa Fe fairly often and while I freely admit I've had a better time sans children, we've taken our daughter 3 times in the last 10 years (she's 14 now) and have always found things for everyone to enjoy. Among them:

As mentioned, outdoor activities, especially horseback riding and hiking.

The Museum of International Folkart has a lot to engage kids.

Tesuque Pueblo Flea Market on the weekends. It's fun to wander the stalls and my daughter loved the lemonade and frito pie.

Rancho de Las Golandrinas is a living history museum of an 18th C. rancho. Lots of interactive stuff for kids. If you have girls and either were into the American Girls, this place is the basis for the Josefina stories.

For family restaurants, we're big fans of Tomasita's and new converts to the Cowgirl Hall of Fame. The latter has a range of ice cream desserts disguised as baked potatoes, fried eggs and other assorted oddities.

Albuquerque is only an hour away (easy interstate drive) and offers a lot for kids to do:

Sandia Peak Tram
American International Rattlesnake Museum
Isotopes Baseball game
Petroglyph National Monument
Hot Air Balloon rides (pricey but a great experience!)

Your kids may have aged out of the Children's Museum. Might be a go for the 9 YO.

Have a great trip!
Jun 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM
mei

Ditto obxgirl. We have been going to Santa Fe for years with our kids (now 11,13,15) and they love it. Favorites are Bandelier, Las Golandrinas, Georgia O'Keefe museum, Shidoni Sculpture Garden. We sometimes go up to Taos as well and have visited the pueblo there. If you go to Taos, have lunch at Rancho de Chimayo and visit the beautiful church there with the healing sand. Check and see if there are special things going on at any of the pueblos...that is so interesting to see. We also like Cowgirl Hall of Fame...plus The Shed (spicy), Coyote Cafe Cantina, Tecolote Cafe (breakfast) and the diner on the plaza.
Jun 1st, 2005, 10:54 AM
mei

By the way, Chimayo is in between Santa Fe and Taos. And the tram in Albuquerque is amazing, but I am someone that does not like heights so it scared the s*** out of me...kids loved it though.
Jun 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM

Albuquerque also has a great zoo, plus a nice aquarium and botanical gardens.

Lee Ann