Children adjusting to Hawaii time?

Old Mar 15th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Children adjusting to Hawaii time?

Our family will be heading off to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. We live on the west coast and have two children, a one year old and a 3 year old. Any ideas on how we can get them to adjust to Hawaii time so they are not going to bed at 5:00pm and getting up at 4:00 in the morning. 2 years ago when we went to Hawaii with our one year old this seemed to be the case. They both are good sleepers but sleep on a strict schedule. Any ideas?
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 12:26 AM

I'd start shifting the time now in small increments.
Then do the same when you come back.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:05 AM

Two years ago our kids were the same ages and we spent 3 weeks in Kauai/Maui. The first day or so was ok as my littlest one (one at the time) was pretty tired. We had travelled from Toronto and are 5 hours ahead of Hawaii timewise. On about the third night he woke up around 2 or 3 am and wanted to play!!!! The next few days were hard, but eventually all the fresh air from the beach, swimming etc... broke the pattern. I just eased him back to bed each time, saying it was time to sleep now, stuff like that. He saw his sister and father were sleeping and I guess he got it eventually! I think I even showed him outside, saying it was still night-time for sleep-whether he understood, who knows-its kinda of all a blur. We still had a great time, and you will too!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:52 AM

I have not been with kids that young. Next door this past summer to people who were with toddlers and under 5. They said the baby woke them up at 2am. I suggest you adjust time before you go. I would rather sleep less here than there for the most part. We try to break up the jet lag by staying on the west coast a few days and that works for us but again no babies on board here. So you have less adjusting but I would do it.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:37 AM

You and your children will have no problems with jet lag. The difference between the time in the US West Coast and Hawaii is only 2 hours. During daylight savings time, the west coast advances 1 hour and Hawaii doesn't observe DST so the difference is Hawaii is 3 hours behind (slow). This is the same as Eastern versus Pacific time.

Flying west is usually less jet lag.

The trip may be tiring, but blame the length of the trip, not the time zones (jet lag). If you feel any effect, you may feel like going to bed 2 hours earlier and waking up 2 hours earlier. Most likely, it will only be about 1 hour due to the body's self adjusting capability.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:41 AM

As the children get older, they become able to sleep later at night. Going to Hawaii is just like sleeping later at 9 pm in Hawaii is 11 pm in Los Angeles. (12 midnight in summer).

If you are really concerned, have them sleep a hour or two later than usual a few days before the trip. Keep them occupied on the plane so that they will not sleep (unless they are so tired). They should be awake if it's daytime in Hawaii (unless they are so tired that they are in danger of falling asleep and crashing the car - oh they don't drive)
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I don't know about them having no trouble Hiroshi the couple I spoke of was only coming from Washington State. Remember they are probably going to want that child to sleep on the plane just so that he/she does not get antsy.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:17 AM

This may work to reset their body clocks:

Before leaving, keep their rooms dark in the mornings until about 9 am, and take them outside in the late afternoon until sunset. In Hawaii, keep exposing them to light late in the day.

I have to admit that I never thought about helping my kids adjust to a time difference at those ages. I probably just took 4 am awakenings for granted.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I have traveled several times a year for the past 5 years with my grandchildren (now ages 3 and 6) who live in London, I live in NY. We have gone to Thailand, Canary Islands, Florida, Morocco, all over Europe, etc. They will adjust but it does take time and there is no way around it. Lots of exercise, the shortest nap possible if it does not make them too cranky. It's part of the deal. We have found that going swimming after flight arrival will keep them up happily and let them go to sleep a little later so they might get up a little later. Big hint..bring favorite videos to keep them occupied while adults try to get a little more sleep. Even the 1 year old might watch Teletubbies or Kipper. I love Kipper.