Chicago visit - hotels and parking

Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago visit - hotels and parking

Hi all

I'm in the early stages of planning a visit to Chicago.

Know of any reasonable hotels with easy access into the city?

Or do you know of any reasonable places to park your car (within the city or outside the city) while you stay in Chicago.

Also what sights would you recommend.

Many thanks
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll see I JUST now - same time as you - posted photos from my trip there last week. The boat tour is DEFINITELY worthwhile!
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:46 AM
cd

Hi LN
You definitely want to stay downtown Chicago. The Embassy Suites is wonderfully located downtown and is now offering a package that I would jump on. $189.00 including free parking! You would also get a full breakfast each morning which is also a savings. http://www.embassysuiteschicago.com/...e_carsstayfree

Or, you could do Priceline downtown Mag mile and suck up the parking which runs around $30.00 a day. Also, the Best Western River North on Ohio St always has free parking included in their rate, but I've never been there so don't know anything about the hotel.

But, you want to stay downtown and walk or use public transportation to get around. Do a search here and you will get a plethora of information! I love Chicago!
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM

We stayed in the new Marriott Residence Inn, River North last month. http://www.chicagorivernorthhotel.com/residenceinn/ It was absolutely scrumptious! We did not have a car, but I believe that valet parking is around $40 a night (which is not good) - but the cost per suite is VERY reasonable and you get free buffet breakfast and a (weeknight) light evening 'snack'. It is very conveniently situated - just a block from the river and 3 blocks to Michigan Avenue.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM

I recently stayed at the Affinia and snagged an unbelievable deal on Travelzoo. It was $99 a night and included parking. I think they've upped the rate, but I would still recommend the hotel. The staff was wonderful and the room, especially the bathroom, was nice. It was in a great location too. Check out Travelzoo to see what kinds of deals they have for your timeframe.

Don't miss the architectural boat tour, given by the architectural society -- the one on the river. They also offer other tours, both walking and via bus, that are worthwhile.