Chicago this weekend

Search

Chicago this weekend

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago this weekend

I've read all the great info on transportation and "6 day itinerary". Just a few follow up questions. We will be arriving at ORD Thursday morning at 10:30. I had decided to take a shuttle but now am questioning the traffic??

We (2 girls) will attend a Cubs game on Friday....any "must dos" while at Wrigley? Neither of us has ever been. We plan on taking the train and arriving around 11:00 (game is at 1600) and eating dinner later that evening and having a few drinks before heading back to the hotel. We are staying at the Sheraton Downtown.

It has been suggested to eat at Carmines or Rosebuds? Thoughts?

That's really all we have planned.......any suggestions while in Chicago? After reading about the architectural tour, weather permitting, we definitely will do that. We are keeping our fingers crossed the weather will be decent without rain!!
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Have you thought about taking the blue line train into the city from ORD? It's cheap and quick (barring any temporary track closures for upkeep... but they provide buses between stations in this case). I'd suggest the blue line unless you have a lot of bags to shuffle around. If you are traveling light, this is the way to go. The cost is about $2. Once you get into the city, get off at Clark/Lake (?) and take a taxi to your hotel from there. Much quicker than taking a shuttle IMO. I don't live in Chicago, but I go into the city fairly often (from downstate) and the traffic seems to get worse everytime I drive in/out of Michigan Ave area.

No suggestions re: Cubs game activities (GO CUBS) except I hope they win! I've been to a few games at Wrigley but it's been many years ago. You'll surely have a blast!

I agree about the architecture cruise/tour. Well worth the time.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Check out www.metromix.com for ideas about restaurants, clubs, events, live music, etc...

Definitely the Blue Line train from/to O'Hare. Don't waste your money/time with shuttles or taxis.

Check out the ethnic neighborhoods. Italian, German, Polish, Mexican, China Town neighborhoods have many hole in the wall restaurants that will just amaze you, and also unique shopping.

For high end shopping, North Michigan Ave. On a clear sunny day, have a drink/lunch at the 95th Signature Lounge at the John Hancock building. The elevator ride is free, whereas the Observatory ride to 1 floor above will cost you ~$15 per. Same fantastic views, comfy chairs, and a nice place just to kick back after shopping on the Golden Mile (N.Michigan).

Plenty of fantastic museums. Art Institute, The Field Museum of Natural History, The Museum of Science and Industry, and many many more smaller but just as good museums throughout the city. Art Galleries just about everywhere.

Grant Park Fountain and the Millennium Park. Who knows, you may be lucky to catch a free concert there.

Have a great trip to my favorite city in the world!
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM

The single fare for the L is $2.25. From ORD, you can also take the Blue Line to Grand Avenue and catch the Number 65 (Grand) bus eastbound.

The Grand Ave stop has no elevator, so if you'll have lots of luggage or other problems negotiating the stairs, go to Clark/Lake. At Clark/Lake, get a cab or walk 1 block north to Wacker and catch the Number 124 bus. Either bus will stop one block from the Sheraton.

If you'll be relying on public transit, a visitor passes will be a good idea. They allow unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses. A 3-day pass is $14. You can purchase them from the vending machine at the O'Hare rail station.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM

It seems to me (but I've been many times and stayed at many different hotels, so I may be remembering incorrectly) that I've walked from the Blue Line station at Clark and Lake (?) to the Sheraton. Yes, I just googled it and it's .9 miles from the station to the hotel, an easy walk unless you have a lot of luggage.

This is a link to the best architectural boat tour. Chicago's architecture is amazing, and it's so interesting to see from the "back":

http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8

Besides that, I would walk up the Magnificent Mile, and although stroll through Millenium Park to see the "Bean" and the Pritzker Pavilion at a minimum. If you have time, a bike ride or walk along the lake is fantastic.

http://www.millenniumpark.org/

You will LOVE Wrigley Field!
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM

I did love and enjoy all of the museums I saw when I lived there.

I especially liked the Art Institute right away because I recognized many paintings from playing the board game "Masterpiece." I went back several times while I was there and learned a lot about art, especially when I went with art literate friends. After more travel and life experience I realize what a world-class museum it is.
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM

For Italian, I'd recommend Mia Francesa a few blocks south of Wrigley.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Great info all! Had I read through some of the other posts (3 days in Chicago) I would have known most of the info....but thanks for reiterating.

We will definitely take the blue line since it's highly recommended. IMO we will be traveling FAIRLY light. For girls, anyway . I read a 3-day pass is $14 so well worth it. It's been a few years since I was in Chicago and do remember traffic as being pretty congested (the main reason we chose the hotel we are in).

I think we will try the Art Institute Thursday afternoon upon arriving. Did I read somewhere it is closed and will re-open on the 16th? I will make sure and research or ask hotel when we arrive.

We will also do the CAF tour....thinking Saturday?? Should we get tickets in advance? Will need to check the weather one last time before leaving Texas on Thursday.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what/where to eat/drink around Wrigley?

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. We are so looking forward to visiting Chicago.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Like I said, Mia Francesa's is a few blocks south of Wrigley. Also, Goose Island is right by the ballpark. It's a local brewpub with pretty good food. Otherwise, there are tons of bars around the stadium and all will be packed.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Before or after the Cubs game, stop at Murphy's Bleachers or the Cubby Bear - both are icons and worth the time! Another place to check out is Navy Pier - plenty of restaurants, shops, etc and a ferris wheel that gives a fantastic view of the city - at night, its magical. Not sure when they start the nightly fireworks but that is great to see. Boats for many of the tours take off from the pier as well. If you have an interest, you can also take a double decker bus tour - it isn't long, takes off from various points on Michigan Ave and has a ton of good info about the neighborhoods, architecture etc. After a lot of walking, it can be just the right thing for a short respite. Ask the hotel concierge about last minute tickets to any of the theater productions in town - you might get a great deal. Blue Man Group and Second City are staples but Broadway in Chicago, Drury Lane, etc also have great productions. I think Jersey Boys, Mary Poppins, Legally Blonde and a lot more are still running.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM

redzin, if I may make a couple of suggestions for you...

Do get CTA visitor's passes, especially since you've decided to take the Blue Line into the city. And I concur on the suggestion to get off at the Clark/Lake station, instead of Grand. You want to be walking on the south sidewalk of Wacker eastwards towards the lake. No reason why you cannot enjoy viewing some of Chicago's most spectacular architecture along the way (weather depending, of course) - and you'll see quite a bit on that route!

What were you planning on doing before going to Wrigley Field on Friday? I'd suggest a little visit to the Lincoln Park Zoo and Lincoln Park Conservatory ahead of time. You would pick up the #151 NB CTA bus on Michigan Avenue. A bus stop is right at the main gate of the Zoo - and the Conservatory is just to the NW of that gate. You can easily get through the zoo in 2.5-3 hours.

Then pick up the #151 NB again (but don't choose the one that says Belmont as the destination - any other destination will be fine). You want to get off the #151 at the Addison stop - then transfer to the #152 WB or walk the 6-7 blocks west to Wrigley Field.

If you wanted to see a little bit of my own neighborhood, I suggest that you get off the #151 a couple blocks earlier at Hawthorne Terrace. To your east, you'll be seeing Belmont Harbor (a sailboat harbor). Then walk west that l-o-n-g block, routinely voted as one of the city's prettiest streets and which is a city landmark district. At Broadway (the first street to the west), if you turn south, you'll see Ann Sather's, which is famous on the north side of Chicago for their cinnamon rolls. Stop in and have one, if you wish - or come back this way later.

If you walk south a few blocks on N. Broadway, you'll see many smaller restaurants, boutique stores and the like. But you're on your way to Wrigley Field. Walk north on N. Broadway - you can either go west on Cornelia (or the street just north of that) to N. Halsted, then north to Addison. That area of N. Halsted is where the majority of the gay bars are located.

I think you might want to go to Murphy's Bleachers *before* the game, to get into the spirit of things.

If you weren't getting out so late due to the Cubs game, I'd recommend that you go over to N. Southport (5 blocks west on Addison from Wrigley) for some of the dining options (nod to Tango Sur - which is a *very* popular place - BYOB, no reservations for smaller parties). You might consider going to the Lakeshore Theatre (comedy) for their 10:00 p.m. performance or take the Red Line up to the Lawrence stop to go to the Green Mill, which is a Chicago icon.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:34 AM

It looks like the game starts at 1:20, not 2:00.
You should be at Wrigley by 1:00 so you can get through security check and find your seat before the game begins.

Its fun to get up to Wrigleyville a bit early and walk around the outside of the stadium, and along Clark st. All the food around Wrigley is about the same - nothing spectacular - sandwiches.

There is a new restaurant attached to Wrigley along Addison, with access directly into the stadium, but it looks like its mainly a bar. Don't know if its good. Its called something like Captain Morgans.

Mia Francesca is very tasty, but its not open for lunch.

If you are coming from Texas, you should bring a jacket or coat. It was 40F this morning. Sitting in Wrigley when its in the 50's or 60's with a wind off the lake it can be cool. You'll see folks in shorts, but they are locals and they are nuts.

Also, the Art Institute has free admission on Thurs eve from 5pm on, so if you are planning on visiting Thursday you could save $12 by going a bit later. The Modern Wing does open on May 16, with free admission the whole week after that but it will probably be a zoo due to the opening.

Also, The Gage Restaurant which is across from Millenium Park, very near the Institute is pretty good.

You can easily walk from your hotel to Millenium Park and the Institute.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Queenie, just looked at tickets and game is earlier than I thought.

I think our agenda will look something like this:

Thursday, arrive at 10:15 and take Blue Line into city.
check in hotel then grab lunch somewhere close
maybe tour State Street after lunch
visit Art Institute around 5:30
dinner at Rosebud's at 8:00

Friday, head to Wrigley, will take neighborhood tour as
exiled suggests.
eat at Murphy's Bleachers before game
after game head to Cubby Bear, if we can get in
** not sure what else we'll be up to after all this *

Saturday, CAF tour at 10:00
lunch, shopping maybe visit the Chicago History Mus
*** late Saturday afternoon open??? ***
forecast shows rain this day......

Thanks again for all the advice.....2 more days!!