Chicago, the weekend after Thanksgiving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife will be accompanying me on a business trip to Chicago, Nov. 28-Dec. 2. We will be at the Ritz Carlton. Have a dinner on Thursday night, but Friday and Saturday nights are free, along with Thursday afternoon and all day Saturday. I will be in meetings on Friday, but she will be free to explore. We are thinking about the Christmas light show at the zoo either Friday or Saturday night and looking for dinner suggestions for Friday and Saturday. I have seen RL and Blue Door mentioned here, and they are right in our neighborhood. Is this time of year too cold for a boat architecture tour? Other suggestions for Saturday during the day are welcome. Want some good Chicago pizza, too. What do you suggest? Thanks for any help! My wife has been once before, but this is my first trip.

Last edited by jhk3rd; Oct 25th, 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 09:55 AM

I don't think that there is a boat architecture tour that late in the season. You could do Dinner cruise on Odyssey or Spirit of Chicago, or a Trolley tour... learn more here:

https://www.choosechicago.com/things...holiday-tours/

I'd walk around Navy Pier & try some of the fresh Cinnamon Roasted Nuts from there. Michigan Ave. by the Chicago River, offers IMO, one of the most magnificent views of the inner city, day or night. The best outer viewing spot is from the Planetarium, preferably at or shortly after dusk.

Pizza UNO for a deep dish yeast crust or Lue Malnati's for their deep dish buttery crust (just love their vegetarian pizza "The Lou").
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 10:28 AM

The Chicago Architecture Center offers a wide range of excellent tours--walking tours, boat tours, bus tours. I'm not certain that the river tours will still be in operation in late November but, if not, I would highly recommend one of the others, maybe historic treasures or early skyscrapers.

https://www.architecture.org/tours

Be sure to make reservations for your dinners! Last year's attendance at the RSNA conference during your time frame had over 52,000 attendees. Add in a few spouses and family members, and restaurants will be very busy!
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 01:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always went to the Zoo Lights when we lived in Chicago. And walking down Michigan Ave with the trees lighted with little whites is magical that time of year.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 07:39 PM

I would encourage your wife to visit the Art Institute of Chicago while you are busy Friday. So many gems there. The Amazing Seurat featured in Ferris Buehler's Day off. The Chagall America windows. Just sit and ponder. And then there's American Gothic. Nighthawks by Hopper. Picasso's The Old Guitarist. Great Impressionists.

Two niche attractions: The impressive medieval collection (including armor). And the Thorne Rooms, miniatures, really something.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Those sound like things I'd like to see. Maybe Saturday.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 10:05 AM

There will be the Christkindlmarket in Daley Plaza under the Picasso sculpture and a stop by Macy's(formerly Marshall Field's) with its holiday windows and great tree in the Walnut Room are always festive things to do. The walk down Michigan Avenue later in the evening is also nice. Millennium Park is also nice for a visit. Your wife could also check out the Driehaus Museum which is a grand mansion in the middle of everything downtown.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 07:08 AM

Visit the community center to see the Tiffany ceiling. It is beautiful and free. There is also a small Tiffany panel above the cosmetic counter at the Macy's on State Street and a few others in the walkway just outside the candy department.

My favorite restaurant is Volare on St Clair. Good Italian.

I am hoping that the weather will be nice that weekend as we are planning a visit that same weekend.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

We are doing the following: Zoo Lights on adult night (Thursday), Art Institute and Christkindlmarket on Saturday. Nighttime walk on Michigan Ave. Friday. My wife will probably shop during the day on Friday. Our dinners are: Mastro's on Thursday, Del Frisco's on Friday and RL on Saturday. Thursday and Friday dinners are part of the business event. Also planning on Chicago-style pizza and maybe the Purple Pig for lunches. I'm not sure we can squeeze in much more, other than a little shopping here and there. Suggestions for the best areas to see the store windows decorated for Christmas appreciated!

Last edited by jhk3rd; Nov 5th, 2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 12:46 PM

Go up to the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock at dusk for a drink and great city views. Purple Pig is still crazy crowded on weekends. Go for a late or early lunch on Thursday. Highly recommend the milk braised pork shoulder. After or before Zoo lights you can go across the street from the Zoo to the rooftop JParker in the Hotel Lincoln for park and city views and a warming drink. Eataly just off of Michigan Avenue is also a fun stop. Hope we can provide you sunshine.