Chicago relocation advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:38 PM
kim

Hello all,

Will be relocating to Chicago this summer and need to get some advice on the best way to find an apartment.

I have a dog, would prefer something in the city, and think a high-rise would probably suit me best. I would like to keep the rent around $2000/month.

Is there a "go to" source for rentals? Do you need to use a broker as in New York? I prefer a true "city-style" life -- where the dry cleaner and bank and local pub can all be had a few short steps from one's door.

Your help is appreciated! Thank you!

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:23 PM
patg

If your experience is with New York rentals, you are in for a pleasant surprise. Take a look at reader.com or tribune.com for lots of ads. Get a good map and talk to people about where they live and how they like it. The high-rise living areas include from the Loop north along the Lake(Streeterville, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Edgewater,Rogers Park) plus some near north away from the lake (River North, LaSalle Street), near west(Presidential Towers neighborhood), near south, mid-south (Hyde Park) and some places close to the airport. Evanston also has some of the places you describe.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Former Evanstonian

You can try Craig's List at http://chicago.craigslist.org

In Evanston, you can easily walk to do your errands, then stop in somewhere for dinner or a drink. It also has incredible architecture and great parks for you and your dog.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Ang

Well you're in luck, you should definitely find something in your price range. I live in a very nice high rise right off Lakeshore Drive in Lakeview. (24 hor. doorman, convenience store on first floor, dry cleaner, salon, and video store in buildiong across street). We own (its condo but many people rent their units out) I know 2 bedrooms in my building are renting for about $2100/month and very nice 1 bedrooms most with balcony for $1000-$1300/month. We have valet parking garage on first two floors of building, a swimming pool and tennis court on the roof. In other words if you are looking ot spend under $2000 you will have no problem!

I suggest going to www.chicagoreader.com for apartment listings or www.chicagotribune.com. You could use and apartment locater service as well.

As for dogs there are several "dog parks" or if you live near Lakeshore Drive, you can jsut cross the pedway to Lincoln Park(the actual park as opposed to the neighborhood)which is beautiful and ther are great running paths and even a dog beach thereon Lake Michigan.

Welcome to Chicago!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Lorraine

Try relocation experts. Its serves the whole chicagoland area

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:52 AM
patg

Sorry for my errors above - the newspaper sites I was referring to are
chireader.com
and
chicagotribune.com

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:05 PM
kim

Thanks to all who replied! These are good starts. I checked out the Reader and it looks pretty expansive. Is there any predilection toward it over the Tribune? For instance, apts in NY are generally found in the Village Voice and not the NY Times (if one is indeed scouring ads instead of using a broker.)

Also, am I to understand that this broker-for-rentals system we have in New York does not exist in Chicago? Remember...rentals only.

Thanks again. CAn't wait to move!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 01:55 PM
kam

In Evanston there is a dog beach on Lake Michigan at Davis Street. Evanston registered residents only. The dogs have great fun.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Michele

Kim,

I personally don't know anyone in Chicago who has paid a broker to find them an apartment. You can if you want to, but it's just not necessary. If you want to work with someone, there are several services that are free to the renter (meaning the landlord pays). I think Apartment People (http://www.apartmentpeople.com/)is one of the more prevalent services.

And to answer your question about the Reader vs. the Tribune (or Sun-Times for that matter), you will likely find a lot more listings in the Reader simply because they charge less to run the ads. If you're looking for privately owned high-rise condos for rent, the Reader is probably your best bet. However, a lot of high-rise apartment buildings do run large ads in the Tribune. You might also request to have a Relcon guide mailed to you, as they are full of information on high-rise apartment buildings. Their web site is at http://www.relconapartments.com/.

Finally, my personal recommendation is to see what you can find in Old Town or the southern part of Lincoln Park. It's just my bias, and others will certainly disagree, but this is my favorite part of the city. And I've lived in several. It's lively, with lots of great shops, restaurants and more. It's also well-located - generally convenient to public transportation, close to the lake and Lincoln Park itself (the large park from which the area gets its name), and also not too far from the Loop (main business area) and N. Michigan Ave. While there are some high-rise apartment buildings in this area, you're also likely to find a lot of privately owned high-rise condos for rent.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your move!