Chicago or Dallas? Please help a UK visitor choose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I (male, early 30s) are planning a trip to the US for the week commencing May 7th.

We've narrowed the choices to Chicago and Dallas and would be grateful for your feedback as to which you would recommend to British visitors.

To give you an idea of our interests we enjoy
- good restaurants
- sport (want to catch a baseball game)
- architecture
- views from the top of buildings
- water based activities (cruises etc)
- music (more classical and pop than jazz and rock)
- would be prepared to hire a car and drive to places if the scenery outside is attractive

Also as a side note the reason we narrowed the options are as followsbr />
1. Chicago - because we hear it is a sophisticated and fun place for thirtysomethings and because of Wrigley Field

2. Dallas - because I have studied the JFK assassination and have always wanted to visit the 6th floor museum and because Texans I have met are very friendly and hospitable people

My friend is also very concerned about safety in the cities so that is also a factor

Please can you help us decide

Thanks
Andrew
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM

London, To me this is a no-brainer. Chicago over Dallas hands-down. Have been to Chicago many times and can not wait to go back. Spent a week in Dallas and could not get home fast enough. I've often heard that Dallas is a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there. There just is not that much to do, and the downtown area was dead. I could not begin to list all the things to do in Chicago, and it meets almost everything on your list. Great restaurants, sports (a cubs game is a must), wonderfull architecture, Views (Sears tower is highest building in North America), Many cruises on Lake Michigan, Many types of music, and much more. I'm sure that there are many people who like Dallas but to me the choice is obvious.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would choose Chicago. It is a vibrant city with so much to see and do.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Dan

Absolutely no question: Chicago. Dallas is a fine city but doesn't rank among the top 10 (or 30) U.S. destinations in my mind. Chicago is great!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:04 AM

Nothing against Dallas, but there's no comparison between the two. Chicago is one America's great cities. It fills every one of your criteria except the JFK connection!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:08 AM
cd

Chicago! We have spent many weekends there and still have not began to see it all! Be sure to go to the Signature Lounge at the top of the Hancock Building for a drink with a marvelous Lake view!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Another vote for Chicago. If I couldn't live here - it would probably be there. Not to be rude- but Dallas, IMHO, really has very little going on - except for people raising a family.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - it's pretty unanimous for Chicago so far!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:31 AM
OO

I lived in Dallas and loved it...it's a great place to live and to raise a family...BUT, between those two, I'd pick Chicago for a visit, absolutely. It's a great place to visit (but I wouldn't want to live there ..and we had the offer once...and turned it down to stay in Dallas).

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:06 AM

As I read your list of interests, I kept saying to myself, "Chicago" after each one and didn't understand why Dallas was even in consideration (until I read about th JFK issue). Chicago in May is gorgeous; don't miss it.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:12 AM

As someone who does want to live in Chicago (and has lived here for many years , who has also been to Dallas, I'd have to echo coming to my hometown for a visit. May is a lovely month and seriously, as an Architecture fan, you really must come. The CSO is recognized around the world as one of the finest orchestra's too and has won many awards(you mentioned you liked classical music).... and seriously, Wrigley field is practically a cultural institution. Oh, and Chicagoans are also very hospitable people.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:45 AM

We'll not that you need more input and admittedly mine is biased being from Chicago but my sis-in-law lives in Dallas and when we visited I was extremely disappointed in the lack of things to do there, Kennedy related or otherwise. It has grown so much that the downtown is deserted and everything is suburban with little character. Like someone said, nice place to raise a family but not much tourist appeal.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Londonengland,

If you want to visit the 6th Floor Museum, you will have to come to Dallas. Chicago doesn't have one.

All in all, greater Chicago is almost half again the size of greater Dallas, and is almost the size of Greater London, so it will have more of what cities have. But whatever there is in Chicago, you will find in Dallas as well.

On the other hand, both cities have good classical music, excellent sports, restaurants, architecture. They both have views from the tops of buildings. Dallas has one of the best concert halls in the world, and its baseball park is probably more spectacular than Chicago's Wrigley field.

As for downtowns, both Dallas' downtown and Chicago's loop are primarily office building areas, and would be somewhat unused after dark. Uptown Dallas and Chicago's Miracle Mile area would be more lively, and have more interest.

I think the Chicago people are very boosterish and competitive with their city, and like to believe it is better than any other, but in absolute terms, you can find what you want in either one. So the choice should be made on other factors... such as the look and feel of the city, the friendliness and conviviality of the natives, etc.

And of course, Dallas has the 6Th Floor Museum.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:44 AM

xbt2316 -- Actually it is called the Magnificent Mile, and the LOOP after dark is becoming quite a bit more lively due to the huge student center in the LOOP, Millenium Park, and the recently popularity of the south LOOP residential corridor.

As far as "I think the Chicago people are very boosterish and competitive with their city, and like to believe it is better than any other" well, I'll be the first to admit when a visitor might be better served going elsewhere, and have often suggested other cities that might better serve the need of a traveler (e.g. a first time visitor to the US who want to see a major city should go to NYC, period) so don't get me wrong, I am not that sort. However, reading the lists of this traveler's interests, I honestly felt he'd enjoy himself better here.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Well said Vittrad, and let's not confuse pride in our city with "boosterish". Nothing against Dallas but there is no comparison between the two given the desires of the poster. That being said, if the choices were NYC or Chicago, I'd say NYC, but those weren't the choices.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:04 AM

xbt2316, have you ever actually been to Chicago? With all due respect Downtown Chicago and Downtown Dallas could not be more different. I spent weekday in downtown Dallas and it was like a ghost town, there was absolutely nothing interesting to do or see, and eerily few people for a big city.

Chicago's downtown area is much much larger than Dallas' and there is always something interesting to do or see. I do not live in either place and am just relaying my experiences as a traveler to both. Dallas is not in the same league as Chicago, and this is coming from someone who has no ties to either place. Granted, Dallas has the 6th floor museum but to say "whatever there is in Chicago, you will find in Dallas as well" is ludicrous.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:14 AM

i have to go to dallas periodically to visit my grandchildren who are held hostage by my children. that is the only reason i would visit that city. it is so spread out - there is no "there" there. the many xways are teeming with traffic all day. lovely people, nice neighborhoods, but not a fun city to visit. i think the 6th floor museum and area are grisley and not something to commemorate. some people in dallas in those days were shameful.

chicago, however, is so much fun and there is a lot to do. many posts on fodor's. you can get on a chicago web site to find out what is going on when you are coming. there is a wonderful architectural tour of the downtown area. i always feel safe. you won't need a car if you stay in chicago. expensive to park and there is good public transportation.

you could rent a car for a day and drive along lake michigan and the sand dunes to southwestern michigan, beautiful views, nice small towns.

now let me tell you about my grandchildren.....

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Another vote for Chicago. Can't imagine that the 6th Floor museum would be interesting to a pair of early 30s types from the UK.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Okay...y'all....

I live in Dallas....but I suggest Chicago....

A friend of mine (from Dallas) did the architecture tour and said it was fabulous!!
You'll have direct access to water.
Wrigley Field is a classic (vs. the Ballpark in Arlington).
A real downtown with people (vs. workers). I took my family visiting from Mich to see downtown at night (their request), I warned them and yes...nobody on the street but the homeless.
We do have some good restaurants - but Chicago has Charlie Trotter and Rick Bayless.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for their very helpful responses. You've certainly sold Chicago to me!! I guess what this proves is you shouldn't just think of going to a city for one interest. Oh and I have had the pleasure of visiting NYC twice hence why it isn't one of the options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -