Search

Chicago on a budget

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago on a budget

I will be in Chicago 9/15-9/18. Want to check out a Cubs game and any other worthy attractions during my stay. What should I see and do? Any suggestions for budget accommodations? Looking @ Calumet Park right now. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Be sure you look into the public transportation (www.transitchicago.com) from your hotel to downtown, unless you enjoy paying $12-20 to park downtown. Same goes for Wrigley Field area. BTW, Calumet Park is more than 20 miles from the Loop; that's quite a commute.

All the major museums have free days; schedules are available on their websites. The Chicago Cultural Center (Randolph and Michigan)has free concerts nearly every day; the Jazz Mart on State and Jackson has them a couple of times a week. Daley Center has free events in the summer, but perhaps not this late in the year. The Tribune has a "Free For All" column on Thursdays. Check it out!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:39 PM

Don't stay in Calumet Park--Despite the hotel being right on the expressway and close to the city, it can be not the greatest areas. If you want to stay outside of the city to save $$, try Tinley Park (off I-80 and I-57 junction). there are way more hotels and much safer area, and only another 10 minutes out. Very easy expressway access into the city or metra access closeby too. You can park at the MEtra lot and train it to the city. If you won't have a car and don't want to stay in the city, try the O'hare area for a cheaper hotel, or try hotwire or priceline for a good deal on a downtown hotel with great access. Hope you enjoy our city.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:18 AM

What is your budget...$100? Do a Priceline or Hotwire search...really worth it to stay in city and not deal with a car. Tinley Park is an hour out of town, and Calumet Park is not a good area at all. Traffic can be brutal.

Cubs game is a must...you'll have a blast! Lincoln Park Zoo is a gem in the middle of the city. River boat tours (and lake tours)on a nice day are a wonderful way to see the city. Chicago Arcitecture tours is a good one. Perhaps check out Second City comedy club.

Metromix.com is a great resource for events, musuems and restaurants in Chicago.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Advice: Don't even TRY to do Chicago on a budget without using Priceline! We will be in on 9/25, a Thursday nite, and I got a room at the Marriott Residence Inn, east of Michigan Avenue and just up the street from The Drake...for $45 (with breakfast). Contrast that with a boonie-stay out where Santa lost his sleigh. Of course, you do have to factor in about $20 a day for downtown parking, unless you can manage to ditch your car somewhere...but even at that....I'd say the price is pretty do-able.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 04:31 PM

Hotel: Check biddingfortravel and bid on Priceline.
Transportation: Subway goes from airport to hotels. Buses run well.
Food: Pizza is not expensive. Also, Whole Foods offers a healthy alternative.
Shows: You can get 1/2 price tickets to theatre, Second City, etc. at the visitor's center across the street from the Hancock Tower. There are also free tours given by locals.
Musuems: Most museums have free days.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:46 AM

If you are going on the architecture tour, make sure you make reservations in advance as it books up quickly.