Chicago- Off the Beaten Path

Jun 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Chicago- Off the Beaten Path

My husband and I (30) will be visiting Chicago for a few days next week. We have been there twice in the past couple of years so we have seen a lot of the sights and museums. Here are some ideas we had for this trip:

-Chicago Architecture Center River Tour
-Another trip to Lincoln Park Zoo
-Oak Park to see Frank Lloyd Wright
-early skyscrapers tour from the Chicago Architecture Center

In addition, tonight I found info on the Baha'i Temple. Is there anything else around there worth seeing? Is it easily accessible by public transportation (we have already purchased CTA passes)?

We like to hike, sight-see, eat, visit museums, etc. Does anybody have any ideas for us?
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM

We ewre in Chicago a few years ago and had lunch at The Twisted Spoke. You know a place is different if it advertises itself with a skeleton on a motorcycle. (Unfortunately, when we were there the skeleton was missing. Our waitress told us that it had been stolen a few weeks earlier.) Anyway, we ate on the rooftop and since it was late afternoon, we had the place to ourselves. The food was very good and the waitstaff was friendly and efficient. It looked like the kind of place that probably has a more lively clientele in the evening, but since we were with our teens, we're glad we went in the afternoon.
Twisted Spoke
501 N Ogden
Chicago
312-666-1500
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM

Chicago Botanic Garden (Take METRA - they have $5 weekend passes, if you are coming then).

An evening at Ravinia.

A visit to Graceland Cemetery (Clark/Irving Park). You can pick up maps in the office just inside the gates.

The Chicago History Museum - maybe one of their walks?

Stroll on Astor Street in the Gold Coast, north of Division to North Avenue. Some of the mansions there are architecturally significant and there are interior tours as well. Take a look at the Gold Coast Neighbors website for information on the tours.

The last suggestion is only 1 mile south of the Lincoln Park Zoo. Depending on what day you are planning your visit to the Zoo, the city's Green City Market is just between. It also has cooking demonstrations by some of the city's leading chefs.

If you want any more ideas, just let me know. Have fun!
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM

Segway tour would be fun - they also have kayaking on the chicago river.
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not realize that Astor and the Gold Coast were close to Lincoln Park. I think we could make a day of that!

Kayaking also sounds interesting.

We were thinking about the history museum.

The Twisted Spoke sounds interesting also.