Reload this Page >

Chicago O'Hare Help, Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:52 PM
lynette

Can anyone tell me which rental car companies are located in Terminal 3 at O'Hare? I'm flying in with a toddler and don't want to hike over to a separate terminal for a rental car. (Yes, I googled but the maps don't show specifics!) I need help from a Chicago native, or at least someone quite familiar with that airport.

Thanks in advance!

Lynette

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:16 PM
xxx

Most car lots are not in the terminal. You will probably need to take the courtesy shuttle from terminal 3 to the car rental lot.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Lynette

See? you've helped me already! The map and airport website clearlt indicate that there ARE car rentals in Terminal 3... so you are sayin that is incorrect. Yikes! I'll have to have an alternate plan. Anyone else?

Thanks.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Racy

I believe there are kiosks in the terminals where you obtain your keys, fill out paperwork, etc. Naturally the actual CARS are in a remote parking lot, which must be accessed by shuttle.
If I were a smart renal car company, I would have kiosks in all terminals -- or at least in 1 and 3 at O'Hare, where United and American have their gates. Perhaps the rental car companies themselves would be your best resource?

HTH,
Racy

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:29 PM
x

There are desks for all the majors in Terminal 3, but you have to be careful because they aren't staffed all the hours ORD is open.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Lynette

Thanks to all... I am now considering having a friend pick me up at the airport and renting a car elsewhere for the week. Might be easier!

Lynette

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:19 PM
travelbuff

Used to live in Chicago and traveled ALOT out of O'Hare.

All the terminals have rental counters and then you get on the shuttle van to take you to the car. If you are an Emerald Club (National) or Hertz Club, they take you right to the car, and you are off.

If you are there for the week, it might be easier to pick up and drop off at the airport.

Just a thought. None of the rental companies have cars right at the terminal, the airport is too big and the parking is way too expensive to have rental cars there.

Have a great time in Chicago.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:06 AM
chi

Just a thought...do you really need a car? If you will be staying downtown--it's more trouble to have a car.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:37 AM
danna

I find renting a car elsewhere to be a huge pain. It's perfectly normal to rent your car at the terminal counter and then take the shuttle to the actual lot. Don't be intimidated by that.

I would also suggest renting your car over the phone so you can ask these specific questions. I have had problems in the past with car rental reservations made via internet.

Have fun...I wish we were going to Chicago for Christmas this year.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:28 AM
xxx

lynette,

I just did a google search for "ohare airport". Amazing what turned up. All terminals have rental car agencies! Terminal 5 (international) has phones to contact the various agencies.

http://www.ohare.com/ohare/home.asp

This should answer any further questions you might have.

xxx

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:26 AM
yyy

triple x: yes...they all have their desks there, but you have to be bussed to the actual rental car....

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:31 AM
patg

Lynette -

As others have mentioned, it's a two-step process to get a rental car at O'Hare. Be sure you don't carry more stuff than you can handle by yourself (backpacks are great for keeping your hands free.)

Now, for my real reason to post: I'm passing along the best meeting spot if someone is picking you up at O'Hare. (The downstairs "arrivals" area is a zoo, where you have to cross two lanes of traffic and wait outside in the cold. Don't do this!) Tell your party to meet you via the "DEPARTURES" route, between terminals 2 and 3, but closest to 3. When you get to the terminal, you'll get your luggage downstairs and head upstairs and all the way to your left (towards the oncoming traffic headlights) Wait by the last door of terminal 3 and you should be able to spot your ride.

Last resort - if it's a busy time, cops will be all over, preventing your driver from waiting for very long. If you both have cell phones, you can time the pickup. Otherwise, it might be best for your driver to use the short-term parking and meet you at the luggage carousel. Be sure they know your flight number.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Mary

By all means rent a car at O'Hare. It is very easy and the car rental companies drop you off directly at the car. Less walking then you would do walking to "terminal" rentals at other airports. Also, the prices at the airport are almost half the cost of the City/Suburban locations. I can rent a car in the Loop for $35 and get the same car at the airport for $19. Check out Travelocity/Expedia.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:53 AM
lynette

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I've decided that since I have plenty of time... I will rent at the airport, catch the shuttle and enjoy every second of it! I will also call and make the arrangements by phone, so I can ask my detailed questions!

The reason (for those who were wondering) I need a car, is that although I am coming on business, I have relatives in the area. So while I am at my conference, my Mom ( and my little guy, 16 months old) will be visiting the aunts and cousins! Some days they will drive into the city, some days my Mom will drive out to the suburbs. We'll be there over a weekend as well, so I'd like to have the car for a sightseeing jaunt!

My Mom knows nothing about this, she'll get the tickets as her Christmas gift! I'm so excited! By the way, I got a super rate of $178.00 round trip for San Jose, CA to Chicago on American Airlines.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Lynette

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:54 AM
lynette

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I've decided that since I have plenty of time... I will rent at the airport, catch the shuttle and enjoy every second of it! I will also call and make the arrangements by phone, so I can ask my detailed questions!

The reason (for those who were wondering) I need a car, is that although I am coming on business, I have relatives in the area. So while I am at my conference, my Mom ( and my little guy, 16 months old) will be visiting the aunts and cousins! Some days they will drive into the city, some days my Mom will drive out to the suburbs. We'll be there over a weekend as well, so I'd like to have the car for a sightseeing jaunt!

My Mom knows nothing about this, she'll get the tickets as her Christmas gift! I'm so excited! By the way, I got a super rate of $178.00 round trip from San Jose, CA to Chicago on American Airlines.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Lynette

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Mary P

Lynette, if you are not bringing a child carseat for your baby with you then make sure you reserve one with the car company. They may need 24hrs notice to ensure the availability of an infant/toddler carseat.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:52 AM
lynette

Thanks Mary! Yes, I am bringing a car seat , I'm also (for those who care) purchasing a seat for my little guy , at half price, so that he will be secure and safe during the flight. You've all been so kind!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:05 AM
xxx

Dear yyy,

" triple x: yes...they all have their desks there, but you have to be bussed to the actual rental car."

Of course! What major airport in the United States has the rental cars at the terminals? Most of them don't even have desks in the terminals any longer. You get on the shuttle bus and go to the rental car office/location.

The O'hare website is very self explanatory, had you taken the time to check it out.

xxx

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:56 AM
E Bro

You have to shuttle to all rental cars from Ohare. Each terminal will have a shuttle so it shouldn't be too much hiking. Good luck!