Chicago--Local Places To Eat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our son (19 yrs. old) will be in Chicago in late May. We have tickets for a night game at Wrigley Field, afternoon performance of Jersey Boys and Thursday night tickets to the Symphony. We are also going to the Art Institute, Hancock or Sears Tower, and The Frank Lloyd Wright Arch tour. We are interested in some local places to eat. For lunch we would prefer a soup/sandwich/deli type place. For dinner something nicer but not real expensive. We like just about any kind of food but want to eat at local places instead of "chain" plaes. Also, my 19 yr old son is interested in going to a blues club one night. We would be with him and were wondering if there would be a problem with him getting in since he is 19. Thanks for any help anyone can give us.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Sorry, too many questions and too many variables. Why not look at some of the good search engines on the net: metromix.com and chicagoreader.com have a lot of information. On metromix, you can pick the site you are visiting and ask for area restaurants, then read the reviews. the Reader has thye best information on music. Being under 21 is a problem for blues venues that are bars, and subject to liquor laws. Look for "all ages" designation on a show or concert.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Vicky, try posting your query on www.chowhound.com on the Chicago board. A tip - rather than setting out to find a specific place since you will be sightseeing, gather recs for several and see where you end up.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the above suggestions. I will check them out.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Where are you going to be for which meals? My recommendations for lunch before a game at Wrigley would be different than dinner in the area. Love to suggest "local" places, so let us know.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Chicago Heather for your offer to help.

Wrigley Field--Lunch
Jersey Boys at LaSAlle Bank Theatre--Lunch
Symphony at the Symphony Center-Dinner
Frank Lloyd Wright Tour--Lunch

The Art Institute, Hancock or Sears Tower and Field Museum will fit into our schedule considering the weather. If you have any favorite lunch or dinner places in that area, those suggestions would be helpful as well.

We will be staying at the Homewood Suites. Suggestions for dinner a couple of nights will be helpful. Thanks again for your help.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Just a little hint. Instead of paying $12 per person for the John Hancock observation deck, go to the Signature Lounge, just 1 floor below the observation deck. The ride up is free. Comfy chairs, and same spectacular views. You can spend the money you saved on a drink or lite lunch. The lounge elevator is on the south side of the building. Observation deck uses a different elevator.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Lunch at the Courtyard Cafe in the Art Institue is always very pleasant.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM

I agree with AAFrequentflyer about the Hancock Center - the lounge is very nice and you can ask your server to let you know if a window seat is opening up. Also the view from the women's restroom up there is spectacular (looking out, of course!)
My favorite place to eat in Chicago is Giordano's Pizza - excellent stuffed pizza. There are several locations in the city giordanos.com.
I don't think you'll have much luck with a blues bar for a 19 year lod, but your hotel or a concierge at a downtown hotel might know of something.
Have fun - I love Chicago! The boat Arch tour is great.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Even though it is somewhat of tourist haunt, a visit to the Billy Goat Tavern is interesting. If you like Italian my Chicago native frient claims that Papa Milano's on State Street is the best.