Chicago in July

May 21st, 1997, 06:19 PM
Robin

Chicago in July

2 couples going to Chicago in July for Cubs game (really to see Wrigley Field and Harry Carry). We only have 2 - 3 days. Any ideas on good/safe hotel? Cool night spot or Jazz/Blues Club? Where's the best "Chicago Pizza"? Is the Odyssey dinner cruise any good? Any other must sees?

Jun 4th, 1997, 05:21 AM
Christine

I just got back from a week in Chicago; I stayed at the Holiday Inn City Center, which was in a great location. We were within walking distance of Navy Pier and the Magnificent Mile. It was a bit pricey, but you may also want to try the Hilton, which is supposed to be a nicer hotel for a lower rate. It's just not as convenient as the HICC...

The best Chicago pizza is at Gino's East (or the original Gino's for that matter), and you should check out Blue Chicago or The House of Blues (they may need reservations) for some good blues.

Have fun!

Jun 12th, 1997, 04:32 PM
Mary

You didn't say when you are going but advance tickets for Cubs games are a must. Usually the same for any of the hotels downtown. We like the Inn of Chicago on Ohio Street. The Days Inn on Lakeshore is also nice and about the same price but a bit further to walk. The Embassy Suites on State St. is nice and includes breakfast but is a little higher.

We have tickets for Cubs games on 13th and 14th and could not get a room in any of those places one month ago. We are staying at the Blackstone for the first time. It is quite a bit removed from the Magnificent Mile but is only $109 for a double.

Jun 12th, 1997, 06:39 PM
Jeff Zilberstein

I am from Chicago, and I'll tell you that early July is a great time to come, with the taste of chicago activities. The best chicago pizza: tied between nancy's and uno's. best blues: probably kingston mines on north halsted, since there's b.l.u.e.s. right across the street, and it's a nice neighborhood. don't even think about going there before 11 or 12am, and it really starts hopping around 2am or so weekends. and as for the cubs, don't be denied bleacher tix! and don't bother with it in advance; i live two blocks away, and can get a ticket most of the time on the day of game (if i'm desparate, i'll get a scalped ticket, but there's always tickets around). have fun here!

Jun 25th, 1997, 07:48 AM
Debbie Sliwka

I work in downtown Chgo, so can recommend the Odyssey cruises - day and night cruises are nice, but night cruises you can see the Chicago skyline, which is beautiful--plus it docks at Navy Pier, which is a great place to check out.

Jun 30th, 1997, 02:11 PM
Bob

Robin:

I just got back from 5 days in Chicago for my first time. I went to a restaurant called Gibson's. It's on Rush Street down by all of the hotels. Incredible steak and you have to have the Strawberry Shortcake. I thought it was one of the best meals I've ever had and I've had the opportunity to travel a lot for business and enjoy some good ones. Also went to a bar called "Harry's Velvet Room" which is a martini/scotch/cigar/food bar. Neat place and right next door was a great blues place which I can't remember the name of. But they are next to each other on Clark Street. A lot of good music/blues/jazz bars down on Rush street but I didn't get to go in to all.

Went to Wrigley on a lark for an afternoon game. took the subway up which was very safe/fun and bought a ticket which landed me in row 7 behind the plate. It was an afternoon game on a friday so I can't speak for other days but I did run into many people selling bleacher seats and it wasn't even close to a sellout. Do the bleachers. I wish I would have. It's always in the sun ( Third base side gets shade) and looks like a blast. Even though I got to sit next to Gary Sinise by freak chance, I would still go out there. Also was there the first day of the Taste of Chicago. That was a ball. Great food and right on Waterfront. Based on what I saw and did, I may move to Chicago soon. Real hot and muggy though. Try 1-800 96hotel. They broker rooms and I got one at the Doubletree on the miracle mile for 139 a night. I then called the Doubletree to see if I could do better and they said they were sold out. They had really good deals on others too. Have fun. What a great town.