Honeymooning in Maui and Big Island

Jun 2nd, 1997, 07:11 AM
Gina Carter

Honeymooning in Maui and Big Island

I will be honeymooning in Oct. on Maui and the Big Island. My fiance and I would like some great activities and tours while we are there. We both enjoy snorkeling, canoeing/kayaking, hiking and biking. We have a rental car so driving to a location is not a problem. Thanks

Jun 3rd, 1997, 12:00 AM
Kay Ryan

Aloha Gina,

There are so many wonderful activities to do on maui and never enough time. Definitely take a snorkel trip to Lanai or Molokini, Trilogy is one of the best. And you mentioned biking, so I would suggest the downhill bike trip after watching sunrise at Haleakala, quite the experience.

I would be happy to send you some brochure of activities on the island. Just let me know where to send them to.

Best wishes & Aloha,
Kay

Jun 3rd, 1997, 12:32 PM
Robin Singer

Aloha from me too, Gina. My husband and I honeymooned in Maui a year ago this week. We did go up to Haleakala to see the sun rise and that was spectacular but the bike ride scared the sh-- out of us. We did, however do a very interesting day trip to Molokai for the Mule Ride down the mountain to Kaluapapa. We would both recommend it!! The scenery is incredible, the history we learned on the tour was fascinating, and the mule ride was an interesting mode of transportation. Sounds kinda weird but it really was worth it. Also, if you still haven't booked a place to stay, I would go way out of my way to recommend a bed & breakfast on Maui. The Whale Watch House (it's just inland from Kihei and up in the mountains) is a wonderful little bed & breakfast that offers much more of Hawaii's natural beauty than the fancy resorts near Lahaina. I sound like a brochure. I have more info on it if you are interested. Don't miss the ride to Hana even if it sounds too touristy-- it's worth the ride, but take the time to pull off and enjoy the waterfalls and swimming holes and its not a bad idea to bring some food along (choices are limited on Hana Highway). I could go on and on. Let me know if you want more!

Jun 4th, 1997, 09:43 AM
Diane Schreiber

Gina:

My husband and I took the very same trip for our honeymoon last May. It looks like you are getting some responses on Maui. I would like to give you a SHOULDN'T BE MISSED OPPORTUNITY on the Big Island.
There is one tour operator that takes you up to top of Mauna Loa at sunset and gives you an astronomy lesson of your life. Its definately bare bones... a large van picks you up outside your hotel, they give you powdered soup and really bad sandwiches and hot chocolate when you get up there (its over 10,000 ft. above sea level) as well as parkas and gloves if you need them.

My husband nearly divorced me when he found out how much it cost (about $150 a person) but once we got up there he didn't want to leave. It's about six hours long and an incredible journey. Ask the hotel on the Big Island for the name, I forget the tour operator!!

Enjoy and congratulations!

Jun 9th, 1997, 01:49 PM
Julie

Gina,my husband and I celebrated our 13th anniversary in Hawaii this year. The Big Island is great. If you haven't booked a hotel there yet, the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Kohala coast is top notch. Be sure to drive to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Take a jacket or sweater with you and be sure to see Akaka Falls on the way to the volcano.

Jun 25th, 1997, 08:13 AM
Cheri

Please let me know more about this b&b. Do you know anything about the Maui Eldorado? We are looking for non-hotel strip atmosphere for our honeymoon in Sept

Jun 25th, 1997, 08:13 AM
Cheri

Please let me know more about this b&b. Do you know anything about the Maui Eldorado? We are looking for non-hotel strip atmosphere for our honeymoon in Sept

Jun 25th, 1997, 10:26 AM
R. Kohout

Hilo is less expensive and much more away from touristy stuff. It is still close to Volcanoes Nat'l: a must see. Akaka falls is close also as is a nice botanical garden.
Moko Loco (?) great cheap food.
Very good body surfing at Capt. Cook.
Haleakala is outstanding on Maui.
Primo beer is primo.

Jun 27th, 1997, 06:22 AM
CARMEN MCLAUGHLIN

Please, Please, send me information on the B&B The Whale Watch House. My fiancee and I are getting married in August and are looking hard for a good place to stay. Thanks for your help.

Jun 27th, 1997, 01:45 PM
Barbara Alcorn

Maui is so romantic! I recommend the Trilogy boat trips but felt that the trip to Molokini was not worth the money. The trip to Lanai is. Great snorkeling to be found at Kapalua Bay [better than Molokini]. The Big Island is gorgeous! I too recommend the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Make sure you visit Volcano Nat'l Park. The village of Kailua-Kona is beautiful. Great place to honeymoon.

Jun 29th, 1997, 07:16 AM
karen

We just came back from the Big Island and stayed at two great b&b's there -- one was in the rainforest by Volcanoes National Park -- very unusual romantic and great - a cottage of glass and wood with a sleeping loft. It has a kitchen area and a living area as well. You wake up in the morning to the ferns treetops and birds. Very lush and beautiful. Rainforest Retreat -- peter and kathleen golden at 808 885 4550. This is the rainy side of the island, Very close to the park. On the sunny side we stayed at Hale Malia-- saw a picture in Frommers b%25b book for Hawaii and it didn't do it justice-- absolutely gorgeous right on the ocean -- you can watch it from your bed when you wake up and you'll hear the ocean roar all night. This is just south of the Kailuai Kona, We loved both places and they were reasonable Call Marie Kelly at 808-326-1641. If you want to use a booking service, these are both listed with Hawaii's best B&B 800-262-9912. You'll have to pay by cash in advance.

Jul 2nd, 1997, 05:08 AM
Lydia

My husband and I spent our 10th anniversary in Hawaii in April 1997. We spent 4 nights on the Big
Island (our favorite). The Volcano National Park was spectacular. We stayed at the Royal Waikoloan
Hotel. It was nice. We saw humpback whales right
off the beach on several days!! The Hilton Waikoloan is next door and is very luxurious. The
artwork is beautiful, but the hotel does NOT have a
beach; it's all rocky. Stop by Hapuna Beach State Park or stay at the Hapuna Beach Hotel. It had the softest, whitest sand on the island. Stop at Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo before you go into the volcano park; their pancakes and service are good. We spent 3 nights on Kauaii. If you like kayaking, I highly recommend Kayak Kauaii. We did a 10 mile open ocean trek. It was the most exciting and exhilarating experience on the trip. I love the water, but the swells were huge. At times, you couldn't even see the other kayaks in our group. Our tour guides (John and Aaron) were knowledgable and funny. They really made this a memorable experience for us. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Maui. It's right on Kaanapali Beach and near Lahaina (a fun old whaling village for shopping and eating) and the Whaler's Shopping Village (shopping and more eating). I highly recommend taking a snorkeling trip to Molokini Crater with the Ocean Activities Center. They did a great job. You snorkel for a couple of hours then they move to another location and the guides scuba dive and collect sea creatures and put on a show and tell display. They collected a humuhumunukunukuapaoo (a little Hawaiian fish), an octupus, a puffer fish, and other cool creatures. They also had great chocolate chip cookies for dessert after lunch. We did the sunrise bike trek down Mt. Haleakala with Maui Downhill. I don't recommend this trip. They picked us up at 3 am at our hotel. It was actually too early and too cold to enjoy the sunrise. You could see the crater on your own and have a great time. We didn't do the Road to Hana. We spoke to other tourists and the consensus was the drive was too long and tedious. You see pretty waterfalls and other sites, but all of the islands are beautiful and lush, so we really didn't feel like we missed anything. I highly recommend you also buy the Frommer's Travel Guide for Hawaii. Our trip was terrific thanks to the guidance and advice of these two books. Arm yourself with knowledge so you don't have to waste time at your hotel in Hawaii deciding what you want to do. We will definitely be back some day. Good luck. P.S. The Fisherman's Landing Restaurant on the Big Island has been close for over 2 years; Frommer's and Fodor's still lists it in their guides. Come on guys, update your material.