chicago hotels-sofitel or renaissance

Jul 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

chicago hotels-sofitel or renaissance

I will be in chicago mid august and am having trouble finding hotel availability! Any special events or going on Aug. 10th? Anyway, I'm left choosing between the Sofitel or Renaissance Chicago or Ambassador (formerly Omni). Will be with my husband and 2 teenage kids, sightseeing for 4 days. It's our first visit to Chicago.
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM

That's just after the tall ships (which are there through the 9th) and before the air show. I don't see any big conventions. But this summer seems to be a popular one for Chicago, so people have been having more trouble than normal with hotels.

I stayed at the Ambassador East when it was Omni. It was fine, but nothing particularly special. It's in a very nice, quiet neighbrhood, though, just a few blocks from the Hancock Building and Old Town and the southern end of Lincoln Park.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Sofitel. I know nothing at all about the Renaissance, except that it's located in the Loop. This is also a fine location, particularly suited to visiting the Museum Campus, Art Institute and Millennium Park (and theater, Marshall Fields on State . . .)

Have you checked reviews for the three at www.tripadvisor.com?

I don't know what you're seeing for prices on those, but if I had to guess what relative ranking most would put on them, I'd guess Sofitel best, followed by Renaissance then Ambassador, unless the Ambassador has changed significantly since Omni owned it. Still, if the Ambassador is significantly cheaper than the others, I would definitely not hesitate to stay there again.
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Is this Renaissance located on Wacker Drive?
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Jojo - somehow you posted the same thing twice. Click on my name or find the other post as I responded to your other post. I am familiar with all three and gave you some details.
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM
mpf

Although it has been two years since we stayed a the Renassance Hotel, we found excellent service, and large rooms. Our room did not have a view (you may want to ask for one overlooking the Chicago River). We asked for a rollaway bed, and it came immediately. I smiled and asked if there was an extra charge, and they said no.

The concierge was helpful with restaurants that the kids enjoyed.

It was extremely convenient to walk everywhere, Michigan Ave for shopping, the trolley to the museums, and we had a super time.

The concierge gave us a map of downtown with a large circle of where you could walk in 10 minutes! Great!

The indoor pool was somewhat small. Our no-view room had the "El" about 10 stories below us. Loved the room anyway. The bathroom was large, separate shower; we had 2 queens and a wonderful rollaway, a love seat, an entertainment center, a desk - and with five of us, there was ample space.

That was our experience, and our youngest daughter would like to return for her 16th birthday!

Jul 29th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the Renaissance is on Wacker Dr.
I know that I probably can't go wrong with any of these....but thanks for your input. One more question....how does the Westin compare to these in terms of location?
Jul 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM
JJ5

My girl friend's medical office has an employee girls' weekend every Dec. and they always use either Ambassador (Omni) or Renaissance.

They love the Chicago River location. It is fantastic.

You've gotten good advice. Great restaurants choices near the River too-in almost every possible direction.
Jul 29th, 2006, 05:59 AM

My husband loves the Renaissance. He has been trying for about a year to figure out when we can visit using Marriott points but it is constantly booked when we can go.
Jul 29th, 2006, 08:50 AM
amaclise

The Westin is better situated for Michigan Ave shopping and most restaurants, as well as lake front path, beaches, park and neighborhoods. The Sofitel is in this area as well.

The Renaissance is nearer Navy Pier, the Loop, the river, Millennium Park/Grant Park and museums.

Jul 29th, 2006, 08:57 AM

We stayed on points for a week at the Renaissance on Wacker Drive. They upgraded us and we had a river view. It's a great location, although Navy Pier is not that close, its walkable - but it's a hike.

Jul 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM

There are two Westins - one on Michigan Ave just across from the Hancock Building, and one in River North.

Really, the locations of every hotel mentioned on this thread are great, none more than a mile from any of the others. Some will be closer to northern Michigan Ave, some closer to the Loop, but all are very central.

If you have a particular area you want to be close to, that might make a difference in choosing the hotel, but if you're going to be all over doing touristy things, all of them would be just fine.

You're probably best off to make your decision based on the hotels themselves, rather than location, and the rate if that matters to you.

Search this Thread