Reload this Page >

Chicago Hotels nr Museums?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:57 AM
roscoe

I am looking for a good hotel near the Art Institute with parking.Do I need a car in Chicago or can we manage on foot and with the'L'?Good places to eat would be a help and what we should see. It is our first trip with kids 14 and 15. Any suggestions on planning a trip- week day or weekend?
Thank you

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Howard

The Palmer House Hilton is the closest hotel to the Art Institute. They don't have a garage, but will put it is a nearby lot for you. You won't need your car in Chicago.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 08:34 AM
anna

Forget the car. Parking will cost you more than public transportation. The L will take you most places, but to get down to the Museum of science and industry (which you should do) you will need to take the bus. There are also a couple of free trolleys that go to a lot of tourist sites. I know there is a website for the trolleys but I can't remember the name. The CTA has a website and another good one for Chicago is www.metromix.com. Take the kids to Navy Pier (the free trolley goes there). It's a fun place to spend at least part of a day, if not the whole day. There is a Disneyquest downtown but it is closing around Labor day.
On weekdays Chicago is packed with working people and on weekends it is packed with tourists. Take your pick. Traffic is sometimes lighter on weekends but it depends what festivals or events are going on. We usually stay at a hotel in Rosemont and catch the el from the River Rd station. There are a bunch of hotels out there and you can park the car there all day for $1.50. (Gotta get in the lot by 7 AM on weekdays but plenty of slots all day on weekends.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 09:10 AM
patg

Hotel Burnham and the Silversmith are near the Art Institute as well as the Palmer House Hilton. The Chicago Hilton and Towers is a half-mile walk south. Printers Row Hyatt is also nearby, in an interesting residential neighborhood. Many other hotels are a short cab ride or one-half to 1.5 mile walk away. I wouldn't let a few blocks alone determine where I stayed. All hotels have some kind of parking arrangement, but expect to pay in the $25 a day range.
You can find out about the many tourist attractions by searching this site for related threads, or checking the museum websites. Also, take a look at
http://www.cityofchicago.org/SpecialEvents/ for once-yearly events that may appeal to you or your teens. Enjoy your stay.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Kathy

If you are going to Chicago soon, try getting tickets to "Mamma Mia" the Abba musical. You and your wife would also enjoy it. Only in Chicago until August 11th I think. The Culinary school also has a restaurant there with great meals for dinner. Just was there two weeks ago and used the Free Trolleys to get to the major sights. A little crowded, but came every 15 minutes or so on a Saturday. There are several "lines" which go to different sights.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:38 PM
xx

Don't forget the Blue Man Group! A must see for all ages!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Roscoe

Thanks for all your help.