Chicago hotel with kids?

Search

Chicago hotel with kids?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago hotel with kids?

I am planning a trip to Chicago with another Mom and our 4 boys ages 7-10. What area is safe with kids but yet economical? Would consider trying priceline for this to get a better price but not sure which area. Can anyone point us in a good area or specific hotels?

We will be going to Museum of Science & Industry, Lego store, possibly Navy Pier.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM

I cannot help with hotels for kids, but I wanted to let you know that the Museum of Science and Industry is a pretty long bus ride away.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM

I would suggest the Magnificent Mile/Streeterville, North Michigan Ave., or the loop. These areas are all safe.

I don't think priceline would work in your situation, since they only guarantee lodging for 2 people (which often translates into 1 bed.) I would check out hotwire and travelzoo as well. Do you have a budget in mind? Prices will depend a lot on when you're going.

I stayed at the Farfield Inn a couple years ago, and it was pretty basic but very clean and in a great location. There is also a Courtyard in a good location. The Embassy Suites are nice and provide the bonus of free hot breakfast.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM

We've stayed at a Homewood Suites in Chicago before. It was in a great location and has a free breakfast. I can't remember the exact street now (maybe Grand?), but it was very close to Michigan Avenue and within walking distance of a lot of stuff.

The Museum of Sci and Ind is a bus/taxi ride away, but it is a great museum. If you take a bus, try to get on one of the "express" buses that go straight there; it's much faster and will zip you right past some of the dicier areas of town. However, we accidentally got on one of the regular city buses (not express) with our kids last summer, and it was just fine also.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM

There are several suite hotels in the North Michigan Ave area. In addition to the Homewood Suites, there are 2 Embassy Suites, Omni and Hilton Suites. The Lego Store and Navy Pier are a short walk from any of them.

When will you be here? Hotel rates depend greatly on demand. If you're planning to be here during one of the major conventions or events, you'll find costs consistently high with very few bargains.

For MSI, you can take the Number 10 bus. It runs south on Michigan Ave from the Water Tower to the river, then down State Street and makes a stop at the Museum Campus before running express to MSI. The Number 10 runs daily through Labor Day, then weekends until the Christmas holidays.

If you're traveling when the Number 10 bus isn't running, You can catch the Number 6-Jackson Park Express southbound on State Street anywhere south of Wacker.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great hotel suggestions. That gives me plenty of options to look at.

We will probably go to MSI on our way in to Chicago in the morning and then head to the hotel and check in. We live in MI and go to MSI once or twice a year - the boys love it. But normally it's just a day trip driving in or taking South Shore. But we want to make a bigger trip and see more things this time. I do appreciate the bus info. I've never used that in Chicago and wasn't familiar with what would get us from MSI and downtown. We may try that sometime now that I know what to do.

The trip will be this month some time but we haven't figured out the dates yet. Will try to schedule it when prices are lower. Any conventions going on in July that we need to avoid?
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Sheraton Towers are walking distance to Navy Pier & Magnificant Mile. I stayed there with my 9 yr old daughter and really enjoyed the hotel & location. Priceline could be a good option this time of year.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I stayed at the Marriott on Mag. mile and it was a GREAT location. I had an adjoining room with my Mom and Stepdad - and it worked out great. It was my dd - I believe she was around 8 or so at the time...
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
dmlove

I've stayed at the Westin River North, the Swissotel, Marriott Magnificent Mile, Holiday Inn Merchandise Mart, and the Sheraton Towers. Except for the Holiday Inn, they were all in a great location, with the Marriott location being the best of the lot. With kids, however, I'd opt for one of the suite hotels with free breakfast!

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM

There are a string of large meetings that overlap from July 22 through Aug 2. The largest will bring around 10,000 people July 22-24, then another 8,000 July 23-27 and 4,500 more for an Alzheimer's meeting July 26-31 and a dermatologist's meeting with 3,000 July 30-Aug 2.

Venetian Night is July 26. There's a parade of decorated boats and fireworks at Monroe Harbor so hotels can get full that weekend.

Hotels usually require meeting participants to book 30-days in advance to receive any negotiated rate. Any unsold rooms that were blocked are released so you should be able to find rooms. Sorry, I can't tell you what to expect for rates.

If you're driving into the city, hotel parking is around $45-$50 per night. There are cheaper options at private garages. If you'll stay near Millennium Park, the garage there is around $24 for 24-hours.

In your planning remember that the sales tax in The Loop on many items is now 10.25%. The exception is food and beverages (not groceries) which add an additional 1-percent convention tax to bring the total to 11.25%.

You may want to stop at a grocery store to pick up snacks and things to keep in your hotel room and carry during the day. There's a Dominick's Supermarket on Illinois near Navy Pier and Jewel on State & Ohio. The tax on groceries is 2%. Welcome to Chicago. ;-)
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Another vote for Homewood Suites. Separate bedroom for parents, kitchen, supermarket nearby, breakfast, and afternoon snacks Mon-Thu which amount to a supper. Kids love it.