Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago hotel--- Swissotel, Drake or Millenium Knickerbocker?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Sarah

I am planning to visit Chicago over the Thanksgiving holiday, but having a hard time choosing where to stay... I am considering the following 3 hotels: Swissotel, Drake, and Millenium Knickerbocker. Anyone have any advise that will help me to decide between them?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Sarah

I have narrowed it down to Swissotel ($99) and Millenium Knickerbocker ($109)... Can anyone tell me about their impressions of either of these hotels?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Shasson

The Drake is a "grande dame" of a hotel. Lovely public spaces and location right at the end of Michigan Avenue overlooking Oak Street Beach (which might mean cold wind in late November); however, being an older hotel, there *might* be some dinginess to rooms. It certainly is a Chicago legend, though. The Swisshotel is handsome and shiny and newer, but it's location is more car/taxi dependant than the Drake. The Knickerbocker is an old hotel that may have been update--I'm not sure of the Millenium designation in their name-- but generally speaking is not considered as high-quality as the Drake or the Swisshotel--although the Knickerbocker might have the best "tourist" location of the 3! I didn't help much, I fear. The Drake is the most old fashioned elegance type of place, the Swisshotel the most sleek and Euro, the Knickerbocker the best location. If that helps....

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Sarah

Thanks, Shasson, you have been extremely helpful... I didn't realize that Swissotel was that much farther away from things. I think we will probably stay at the Knickerbocker.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Hombre

Sarah,

How did you get those room rates- especially at the Knickerbocker? I can't seem to find anything under $159...

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Laurie

The Swissotel is a little further away from the main Michigan Avenue shopping. However, the distance between the Swissotel and the Drake/Knickerbocker (which are very close to each other) is only about a mile and most of the shopping is in between. I personally don't care for the Drake, yet it is a Chicago institution. We had a meeting there once and I was unimpressed with the hotel rooms and the meeting rooms. I have stayed at the Swissotel and thought it was very nice.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Sarah

The Swissotel rate I found on their own web-site, the other rates were from Expedia.com

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:25 AM
x

Our family loves the Swissotel, and $99 is a wonderful value.

Not surprisingly, the Swissotel is sleek, impeccably maintained and efficient. Although we have not eaten at the Palm restaurant there, the bar is lively. The indoor workout rooms, whirlpool and swimming pool are excellent.

And, they are more than fair. We stayed there at the end of August, and had a noisy neighbor one night. The staff took care of the problem promptly and courteously -- and credited our bill for the night's stay.

My wife and boys, ages 10 and 8, don't want to stay anwhere else in Chicago. We like the location, and the views are great.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Paul

Just stayed at the Swissotel last weekend. It's at the lower end of Michigan Ave shopping. As one of the previous writers stated, you will be a little more cab dependent here.

However, the big plus is that all of their rooms are quality rooms, even if you purchase them thru a wholesaler. The only thing that varies is the view, not the quality of the room. This is not the case with some of the older hotels. $99 at the Swissotel would be a steal. If you are driving, be aware that parking is $33 per night.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:54 PM
xxx

Shasson - the Drake and the Knickerbocker are on the same block, so I'm confused about the way you've distinguished their distances from other attractions.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 02:56 PM
kam

We've stayed at the Drake and the Swisshotel (for business) Both are very nice. One at the north end of shopping on Michigan Ave. and one at the south end where the "Loop" begins. Only thing I feel strongly about is stay away from the Palm restaurant. Everything is ala carte and the waiters (at least ours )push you to order too much food. You can do better in this city of many good restaurants.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:25 PM
susan

My husband and I stayed at the Knickerbocker last summer. It has recently been redone and is beautiful. Our room was gorgeous! The bar is very nice and drinks and service great. It used to be the Playboy Mansion. I've stayed at the Swisshotel and the rooms are very nice and bigger than the Knickerbocker, but the location is a bit out of the way. The Knickerbocker has a very central location. Have fun!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:18 PM
pj

Where else can you get a unobstructed view of Lake Michigan and chicago river the top floor is a pool which will give you a panoramic view of Chicago!! Plus awesome fitness center. And swiss chocolates free for the asking at the front desk!!! And if that is not enough Fanny May is a block away!! Swissotel it is!!