Chicago Hotel October

Search

Chicago Hotel October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Hotel October

We are going to Chicago the 15th of October. Celebrating my step daughter obtaining her masters degree. We usually do a trip once a year to NYC but decided this year to go to Chicago.

Did the air, know some places we want to go, like the CAF boat tour and 2nd city one nite, but am struggling with a hotel room. I am pretty sure I want to be on the River north or Miracle Mile area, but was shocked at the prices. Consider me stupid but I thot Chicago would be like NYC-- cheaper on w/ends. But I have not found that.

We explore--so a $300 a nite room is not in our budget. But we do like nice.

Wondering, beside priceline, if anyone could help me with a good hotel at w/end prices??

Thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM

If you're not comfortable with the total anonymity of the hotels on Priceline, would you consider using Hotwire (it's somewhat easier to "guess" what the hotel is on Hotwire). I just quickly entered October 15-18th, and there's a 4* Magnificent Mile-Streeterville hotel for $149 a night. Using betterbidding.com, I would guess it's the Swissotel.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM

It may take some digging to find less expensive hotels, but you can likely do it. The American College of Surgeons will be in town Oct 11-15 with 9000 people and there is a fitness center convention with an additional 7200 people Oct 15-17. A conference of neuroscientists with 30,000 people begins Oct 17.

Most hotels hold rooms for convention bookings up to 30-days before the event. Anything not reserved is usually released for general sale, so you should see things start to open up within the next few days. However, don't wait long as you may end-up competing with people for the later conventions who want to arrive early.

There are several hotels that opened earlier this summer which may not be on the radar for many conventions yet. They include The Wit on State Street, La Quinta on Franklin and Comfort Suites on N Michigan.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM

I've gotten good deals with Hotwire as well and definitely recommend it. The most central zone for me is the Magnificent Mile/Streeterville area. I've gotten the Hyatt Regency on E. Wacker and the Westin River North in that zone, but there are several other hotels, as sf7307 pointed out.

Do be forewarned that Chicago hotel taxes are pretty high. Not a huge issue; just wanted you to be aware that the price you see on Hotwire will not be the final price you pay.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread.

sf7307 - Thank you so much! Went on hotwire and got a great deal on the Intercon (4 star+) for $119/night for this weekend. Doing things so last minute, I thought I was stuck with paying $200 - $300 for any hotel right on the Magnificent Mile. If we'd gone our usual route thru expedia or travelocity, we would have ended up paying significantly more for a room at the same hotel. Expedia - $229, Travelocity - $279.

It was my first time to use hotwire, and what a positive experience it was!

Thank you!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Congrats! Did you figure out that it would likely be the Intercontinental before you pressed "Buy"?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM

I just stayed at the Swissotel on East Wacker during Labor Day Weekend for $88.00 through Quikbook.com. The location and hotel were very good.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM

From sf: Did you figure out that it would likely be the Intercontinental before you pressed "Buy"?

Hi sf! No, I did not know it was the Intercontinental. Not savvy enough to know how that works.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Well, for future reference, find out what's available on Hotwire -- note the star rating and make a list of all the amenities. If it's noted (sometimes is, sometimes isn't), note the TripAdvisor rating and how many reviews it has on Tripadvisor. Then, go to Tripadvisor and try to "match it up". Next, go to betterbidding.com, click on the state and city you're looking at, and look at the list of hotels -- they're listed by location, star rating and amenities. For example, the reason I think the 4* is Swissotel today is that the amenities include tennis and spa, and Swissotel seems to be the only one listed that has those amenities. After a few times, you'll get good at it. I recently used Hotwire for the Montelucia in Paradise Valley and the Se Hotel in San Diego and was right about both.

Oh, and ALWAYS check the price on the hotel's own website before you use Hotwire. It's worth the "unknown" if it's a big discount, but not if it's not.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM

sf: Got it! Thanks again (for the nth time )
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Ok Sf you have convinced me to try hotwire. I did it once on airline tkts for my sister and it turned out great. So I will try if I get nervous will post here again and you can walk me thru it--lol. Thanks everyone for your ideas
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM

It's really easy, I promise. You can go to the trouble of trying to figure out what you're getting, and betterbidding.com is great for that, but I don't think you can go too wrong with a 4* in the Streeterville zone for Chicago. So I wouldn't worry about it too much in your case!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM

What jen says is true. The reason to get more "specific" is only if there are certain hotels in an "area" that you would not be happy with. For example, if I use Hotwire for Manhattan, I won't take a Midtown West hotel because it will likely be the Sheraton or the Hilton, and I know I don't want either of those particular hotels.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM

I am learning something new too...I was getting pretty good at Priceline, but is Hotwire better, either better rates or more easy to guess which hotel it is? I use biddingfortravel.com to 'choose' the right hotel when using Priceline.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM

I don't know that one is "better" than the other. My impression is that you may be able to get lower prices with Priceline, but I like having a little bit more certainty about what I'm getting with Hotwire (at least the specific amenities, that sort of thing).