Chicago for New Year's Eve 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and some friends will be in Chicago for New Year's Eve 2007, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about what to do. The group is 4 adults 50+, my grandmother, and my brother and I (in our 20s). None of us are the "hang at a bar or club" types, but we're still looking to have fun (albeit, more sedate fun) ringing in the New Year. I was wondering if any of the local museums or similar-type places throw parties. Any suggestions? We're staying downtown (somewhere...). Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:50 AM

There are fireworks at Monroe Harbor at midnight.

Monday is traditionally the dark night for theatres, but Phantom will have an evening performance at the Palace.

Most of the large hotels have parties and there is always a big bash in the Navy Pier Ballroom. Sorry, I can't recommend one but you can find listings on www.metromix.com, www.chicagoreader.com or www.centerstage.net/chicago or check the hotels sites.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Lots of Chicago restaurants have special menus on New Year's Eve (some even include champagne toasts & favors). The last few years my husband & I have done that with a few friends & caught the fireworks afterwards. When it gets closer to the date you can go to www.opentable.com to check out menus & make reservations on-line.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM

I live in Michigan and it takes 2 hours to drive from my house to MI ave, so me and DH have spent a lot of holidays in Chicago. As a matter of fact, I think we've been to Chicago for almost every major holiday - including NYyears Eve.

Once you get closer to the date be sure to check out rooms on Priceline. There are great deals during the holidays ~ the last time we got the Michigan Ave. Westin for $70/night on NY's Eve.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:05 AM

You might enjoy a comedy show. For New Years Eve parties we have enjoyed both Second City and Zanies. Check out www.timeout.com, maybe it is a bit too early for New Years reservations but you will get an idea of some of the venues. One year also we did a jazz concert at Symphony Hall with a chance to see the fireworks from the building's terrace and dancing on the stage afterwards.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:07 AM

another source for ideas is the weekly alternative newspaper www.chicagoreader.com. It has good entertainment sections.