Chicago - Field Museum - Tut Exhibit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in the Chicago area the second week of August and was considering going to the Field Museum to see the Tut exhibit.

Was looking to hear from folks who have seen the exhibit to get your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:33 PM
JJ5

One of the Brothers (Christian Brothers)where I work just came back. He, like I, saw the earlier run the first time it was in Chicago.

He says this, "the first time was more educational and historic information, and this time is more Hollywood-like glitz." He said the entire collection this time is more pieces and more glitz/extensive presentation, but that the signature Gold sarcophogus not being there (authorities would not let it out of Egypt)- it just was really missed in his opinion. He also said the audio was by Omar Shariff and good.

Of course, this is coming from a pure Academic who wants all the history and detail of how they placed and prepared the organs, and you might not want that at all.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:13 PM

If you want to go...you might want to look into buying advance tix. We bought our's for August and I had to pick an alternate time to enter; only by a half hour, so no big deal.

I just looked at my confiramtion...it was on April 11th when I bought the tix.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM
P_M

At this very moment I am talking on the phone with someone who was just at the exhibit on 6/10. She said it was fascinating and she highly recommends it. Get there early, it took her 3 1/2 hours to go throgh all of the exhibits. But I must caution you that this person is someone who likes to linger at every exhibit.....heehee. She went on to say it's a very unique experience. Also she says to book tix early as they have been selling out.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:24 PM

hi, I just saw Tut on June 15th. I would recommend getting tickets ahead of time as well. We had tickets that were for 10:30am on a Thursday. I was meeting family from out of town who were late because of traffic. We actually walked into the Field Museum around 11:30 but were able to get to the front of the line pretty quickly.

I think the museum opens at 10, not sure when the exhibit opens, but I would recommend getting there as early as possible. Even though we got in very quickly, some of the rooms where the artifacts are located are very small, and the line of people weaves throughout the room verrryyy sllooowwwllyy. All in all it took us about 2 hours to get through the exhibit (mind you, however, we had 3 children with us that slowed us down a bit).

I was disappointed not to see the Gold Sarcophogus, but the other artifacts and the room where they have the shots of the CT scans and x-rays were really interesting.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. I will definitely get my tickets in advance. I'm traveling up to the area (first time ever in Chicago) and wanted to check out different things that make Chicago Chicago, but I was definitely fascinated by the idea of the Tut exhibit.

Hubby was able to go to the museum in Cairo and loved it. This will be the next best thing for me.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I was able to do the exhibit when I was in Ft. Lauderdale in January and I really enjoyed it. I found much of it fascinating and it inspired me learn more. I kept walking around in amazement of how old the artifacts were and how well they had been preserved. Supposedly this is the last time the pieces will be on tour outside of Egypt so it is an incredible opportunity to see the exhibit. I thought it was well worth the price of admission.