Chicago - Faina's questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, guys, for now need some help to figure out the bus system.

There are 2 types of transportation, CTA - city buses and Metra - suburban trains, is this right?

I used CTA travel planner to figure out how to get to a museum on Halsted, bus #65 then bus $8. Regular fare shown as $4 not the usual $2, why? Is the University outside of Chicago?

If I buy one of those passes, thinking of a 3-day pass, will this cover both buses?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM
JJ5

Faina, you pay for transfers on CTA. So if you are transfering buses you would need a transfer.

The University of Illinois in Chicago on Halsted? I went there many moons ago, and it is right in the middle of the city and not that far from downtown.

I used to be a bus taker big time, with three transfers in each direction, but I don't have the answer for this one.

Any big RTA/CTA users out there? In my area the RTA buses are PACE suburban buses and I do not think their fee and the 3 day pass system are on the same page.

I know the Metra (train) and CTA/RTA (bus & el city/suburban- just buses) have totally separate fare systems- but I'm not sure the bus systems are separate.

Faina, I don't think the Chicago bus system is easy to use because of "pockets" and transfers etc. Chicago is a huge area. I think you may have to talk to CTA people here.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Or I can pretend I speak russian only and see how much they can get from me

Somehow, I'll figure it out. Either from here, or when in Chicago. Just doing my research.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hi Faina -- I was in Chicago earlier this month and used public transport extensively. It sounds like you have a transfer on one of the routes. If the fare is $2 for each route, it can add up pretty quickly.

That's why it will definitely save $ (and trouble) to buy a visitor's CTA pass. You pay a flat rate for a certain number of days (3,5 and 7, I think)for *unlimited* use of the busses and el trains around the city, *including* transfers. All you have to is scan the card whenever you enter a bus or train.

Which university are talking about - Univ. of Chicago, or University of Illinois - Chicago? UIC is fairly easy to get to by train -- take the Blue line to the UIC/Halstead, Polk and/or Racine stops.

Univ. of Chicago is a little harder to get to - you can't really get there by train, but there are several bus routes, depending on your starting location. BTW - to answer your question -- it's inside the city, but further south, away from downtown. It's in a lovely part of town called Hyde Park.

The Metra Rail system has seperate routes and fares. It's used for commuter transportation to and from the Chicago suburbs (for example, back and forth to Evanston, or Glencoe, etc.) You shouldn't need to bother with this system.

Hope this helps -- if you have any other questions -- just ask!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:58 PM
SAB

Faina--Metra is like BART in that respect-- not really for getting aroung in the city itself.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, it helps, thank you both!

This is something new for me - the transfers system. Each time you pay... wow, this can really add up! I'll have to get a pass...

I've only scratched the surfice, but my list of museums only is for 2 weeks already, how will I narrow it down into 3.5 days??
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Looking at the shuttles: is it true there is only one (ONE!?) shuttle company from Midway to downtown "Continental"??

What kind of service do they offer without any competition? Or maybe my search engine is really bad?

And the price is $20, OUCH! and they will also expect a tip, huh? And no on-line discount coupons?

Please somebody tell me my Southwest flight is cheaper then Chicago Mafia Shuttles!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM
JJ5

Transportation is not cheap, IMHO, Faina. From Midway you have the Orange Line- that is the frugal way to go. A shuttle brings you to your door, and for that $20 is not expensive.

Faina, Chicago is many many times the spacial area of SF.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Last time I reserved a shuttle to SFO, it was $10 internet special

When in Boston, it was something around $15.

In Zurich it was 19 francs, which in dollars was like $16.

Chicago must be one laaaarge city

By the time I get there, I'll be over this sticker shock.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Faina, sadly, we don't have anything like the SuperShuttle. Maybe it's because the El goes right to both airports. I don't think it's the size of the city, because I've done the $10 thing in LA.

You could take the Orange Line from Midway to State/Lake and grab a taxi to your hotel, which would run you less than $10, and would probably be faster than a shuttle with multiple drop-offs. Or you could try to do a cab share at the airport, which has a lower set price (which I don't know because I rarely do Midway).

HTH,
Racy
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM

The airport shuttle is higher here because a dollar just doesn't buy as many politicians as it used to...
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

The fixed taxi cost is $30-35, the share is $19. It's a no-win situation with the famous Chicago gangsters
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM

last time i took the "L" to downtown from oak park, the fare incuded a FREE transfer. one transfer is included from the L to bus.

you will be walking most of the time downtown, and there is a free trolley in the summer and part of fall to take you lots of places, so no need to worry too much about paying for buses,etc

you may want to rent a bike one day, too to ride along the lake. great bike paths.

or bring your roller blades, if you have some.

taxis are also fixed price from airports to town and bordering suburbs.

I think you will find transport is very reasonable in chicago
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:59 PM

i think i am mistaken about the fixed price for cabs. it is not from airport but from downtown to oak park, i think.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Lin, my research was done this morning. Unless their website is not updated, the prices are correct as of today.

As for the transfers... The CTA trip planner gives me $2 price using 1 type of transport (either bus or EL) and $4 if 2 types. It means, there are no more freebies!

No, compare to San Francisco, the transportation is unreasonably high. I am so glad now I've picked Chicago! How much will I appreciate SF when I'll be back
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM

When you get to chicago, buy a transit card and put money on it, then you will get transfers for a quarter. The CTA site is giving you the price if you just pay in cash, don't do that. better yet, buy a $5 a day card and ride the darn thing to your hearts content.

Oh, and that trip planner sometimes spits out some odd directions, approach it with a bit of caution.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Than you for warning, Vittrad!

I will be buying 3 or 5 days pass... maybe even from home to get mailed before the trip. Still procrastinating
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM

guess there have been major changes since last summer.
we did put money on a transit card at the El station... so maybe that had something to do with it.

strange their website doesn't explain what vittrad advised you of.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM

lincasanova - on Jan 1st they raised the fares to $2 for cash paying customers and quit issuing transfers. If you have a transit card you will pay either 1.75 if you ride the bus or $2 if you ride the train and you will get transfers for .25. If you have the ChicagoCard or ChicagoCardPlus (a thicker plastic card that you can reload online) then all fares are 1.75 with .25 transfers.

Being that is pretty much my sole form of transportation, I just shell out for the monthy pass and am done with it (and that fare didn't raise).
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM

There is a coupon ($2) on the Airport Express site:

http://www.airportexpress.com/Home-coupon.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -