Reload this Page >

Chicago During Breeders Cup Week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 02:38 AM
Fran

Ok, this may be a silly question, but I need a little information to help plan our Chicago trip, so don't yell at me. We were considering the 4th week of October (maybe the 19-23 or 25-30th) for our visit, but I see it is "The Breeders Cup" week with the race itself on 10/26/02. Obviously this is a major event in horse racing, but what is the impact on the City of Chicago as far as hotels (we will try to Priceline), attractions, restaurants etc.? Can it be compared to going to NYC during the Marathon? In your opinion should we consider a different week? Thanks for the advice.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Egg

Fran: I don't believe the Breeders Cup has never been held here before, so cannot give you info regarding crowds, etc., except to say that the race will be held in Arlington Heights, which is a northwest suburb. Don't know how much this will impact the city.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Ang

I agree The Breeder's Cuo is at Arlington Racetrack which is a hour from downtown Chicago. It will be nothing like going to NY during the NY marathon or even to Chicago during the Chicago marathon. As a I Keentucky girl originally I know quite a bit about horse racing and can also tell you the Breeders Cup is not nearly as big as say the Kentucky Derby. I used to live in Louisville where Derby is every year and Breeders has been held several times.

I suspect the Breeders Cup which is a one day event (not like a week or even two long festival leading up to the event) will have NO effect or very little on downtown Chicago. Now if you were planning to stay in or visit the northwes suburbs (Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, etc. that would be a different story.)

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Kostroma

Hi.

I'm not attending this year's BC, but I am a horse racing enthusiast. The buzz from my friends who are going and the message boards that I frequent seem to indicate that those attending from out of town are predominantly staying in the city of Chicago itself and commuting to the BC.

I don't know if hotel prices will be affected. I do know that when I booked a hotel in Louisville, Kentucky for the 2000 Cup, most were charging 1.5 to 2 times the regular rate whether someone was in town at that particular time for the BC or not. Since the BC is a big event and a lot of people will be staying in the Chicago area, the situation may be the same. Contacting the hotels themselves is probably the best way to find out.

The BC may not be as big of an event as the Kentucky Derby, but crowds range from 50,000 to almost 90,000 in attendance, depending on where it's held. I've heard that Arlington racetrack can accomodate up to 45,000.

The day itself is 8 races and it's an all day affair. There are events during the week, but I believe that they are mostly being held in Arlington Heights itself.

I think that Chicago will be more crowded with tourists than usual for that time of year. It's never been held there before, so there's no precedent to go on.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:53 AM
a

For those of our out-of-town visitors going to the Breeders Cup, keep in mind that you can take the Metra to the racetrack and exit at the Arlington Park exit. It is the Union Pacific Northwest line from Northwest Station at Madison and Canal (Ogilvie Transportation Center). You can buy a $5.00 weekend pass which is good all day Saturday and Sunday for unlimited rides.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Ang

jsut tried to post and for soem reason it didn't take!

Anyway, I was going to say there is a huge difference in having the Derby and Breeer's Cup in Louisville and having it in Chicago. For one, Louisville is a MUCH smaller city with less hotel rooms etc and the racetrack is in the city. Derby is a 2 week long event and for ta couple of days during the Breeders Cup as well a city liek Louisville would revolve around the races, 80,000 people converging on Louisville is a lot. However, Chicago is a different animal. It is a huge city where large conventions of all types are held all teh time. 80,000 people converging on the Chicago metro area is not a big deal adn the city will NOT revolve around the Breeders Cup especially with it actually being in Arlington Heights. I still don't think it will affect availability any more than any other gathering or convention would. Jsut so you know, I agree that if you are staying in the city and want to get to the Breeder's Cup in Arlington Heights, take Metra! With traffic this could easily be a 2hr trip each way by car depending on traffic.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:36 PM
essie

Ang: Unless there is some really nasty weather in the area, it does not take 2 hours to get from downtown Chicago to Arlington Heights.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Ang

I was basing the travel time on my previous job. I live in the city (near Wrigley) and used to work in the north suburbs getting off 94 at the Willow Street exit. It regularly took me 1.5 hours to get to work in the morning and 2 hours to get home in the afternoon yearound. I know that you would take 90 rather than 94 to get to Arlington Heights but the Kennedy to the slpit is terrible and AH may be even further mileagewise northwest than I used to fo straight north.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Racy

Ang is right about times -- my DH used to work in Arlington Heights, and it could take him 2 hours to get home.

If everyone leaves the park after the last race, that last toll could back up like a mother -- we don't call it Satan's A$$hole for nothing!

You can also get the train at Armitage and Ashland (right above the Kennedy).

40,000 people in Chicago might well affect hotel rates, as in fewer discounts. Check 877chicago.com to see what specials are offered that weekend.

Most people on Priceline are getting the Hyatt Regency, from what I've read, unless they bid higher than $65.

HTH,
Racy

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 02:36 PM
BC-Fan

I'll be an out of towner attending the Breeder's Cup(BC) in Chicago. I've also attended BC's in Miami (Hollywood Park), Louisville, Los Angeles, Toronto.

The BC in Chicago is not sold out and likely will not attract 50,000 fans. I would think that Chicago can absorb several thousand out of towners without much pain.

That said, the hotel rates for that weekend are higher than the summer rates but I think hotel rates in Chicago are typically higher in the fall.

I got the Swissotel for $86 per night on Hotwire and I'm very satisfied. I would check out Biddingfortravel.com to get a feel for where the rates are but you will probably be fine that weekend.

Hope that helps and if you get a chance go to the BC. Arlington is a spectacular venue and you will be seeing some of the best horse in the world.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Ken

Great advice here (as usual!) but why are we talking about what train to take to the race & how long it could take to drive etc.? Fran IS NOT GOING to the race, she (or he) just wanted to know how the BC would impact the city!

Fran, let us know how you do if you decide to use priceline - always good to hear what people win and their bids etc. Have fun!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Fran

Hi! Thanks to all who took the time to respond, after reading all of your comments I think we will be just fine if we decide to go during that time-frame. Ken - I'll let you know how Priceline works out!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:33 PM
Tara

I'll be in Chicago the wkend of the 25th, and I got the Allegro Chicago for $60 a night on Priceline for that wkend. Good luck!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Fran

Hi everyone. Changed our dates slightly and the length of of stay. I had a little trouble using Price Line because we needed 2 rooms for 6 nights, but finally got the Hyatt on Wacker (with about a million other PL customers) but it will be a great location for us, and I have the Gold Passport that has always made Hyatt stays enjoyable. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Pam

Fran:
Just returned from a vacation in Chicago. We also got the Hyatt(Wacker) on Price Line ($51/night). This is a very nice hotel. We were on the 17th floor of the west tower. Huge place. We walked every where except the day we went to the Museum of S & I. We rode the bus since it was to far. You'll enjoy the Hyatt and Chicago. Have a good vacation. Pam

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Fran

Pam - thanks for positive comments about the hotel. Sometimes you hear so much griping that you go there expecting to have a room in a dumpster. I thought the location looked perfect, and I've never had a probelm at a Hyatt that I have booked through priceline. Glad to hear your experience was a good one and thanks for posting for me!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Beth

I personally like the Hyatt. It is a very large hotel with plenty of amenities and great for business travel. I think most of the complaints against it stem from the fact that it does not have any unique charm, it is pretty sterile and businesslike. Also it is located away from the mag mile adn shopping and entertainment district. It's close a enough for a long walk or short cab ride to Watertower or Shops at 900 N but its not right there liek you walk out of the hotel into the shopping district like Omni, Ritz-Carlton, Radisson, Four Seasons, etc all located right on Mag Mile strip.

One of the things I like about the Hyatt is that it is located in the loop area close to the State Street shoppin district as well. It is a huge business hotel but certainly not a bad one!