Chicago Cubs tickets

Aug 24th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Kevin

Chicago Cubs tickets

My girlfriend and I will be in the Chicago area in a couple of weeks and were looking into attending a Cubs game (we're not Cubs fans per se but would love to take in a game at the Friendly Confines). However, the game seems to be sold out. My question is if anyone can tell me about the scalper situation there. Are there areas scalpers are allowed (as there are in some other cities) or where they otherwise congregate? (I've already done a web search for area ticket brokers). Also, what is the parking situation like in the area around Wrigley Field? Thanks in advance.

Aug 24th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Phil

Scalpers are located all around the ground, the cops don't seem to mind. You shouldn't have any major problems, especially if you go to an afternoon mid-week game.
Don't drive to the game. My advise is to get the Metro (The "L"). Get the Red Line to Addison, and Wrigleyfield is right there. There are usually scalpers hanging around outside the L stop.
Enjoy your trip.

Aug 24th, 2001, 11:55 AM
SoxFan

Phil: What's the "Metro"? Has the CTA changed its name?
Kevin: Depending on where you are staying, you can either take the EL, a cab, a bus or walk to the park where you will have your pick of scalpers. No cops will bother you.

Aug 24th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Kevin

Thanks for the info. We're planning to go on a Sunday afternoon. We have the day free as our flight leaves O'Hare at 7pm. Actually will have a rental car because we're attending a wedding in Indiana saturday, so parking info would be appreciated as well - or is there a convenient place to park by a CTA station and avoid the stadium traffic in order to catch our flight? Thanks again.

Aug 24th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Beth

Park at the airport or drop off your car there whatever. The Blue line EL runs straight from O'Hare to the loop, change trains at hte Clark/Lake stop in the loop to the red line and take that to Addison. There is NO parking lot for Wrigley Field. It is in the middle of a residential neighborhood, where I live about 6 blocks away. Parking would be parallel parking on a side street which will be next to impossible to find on a Sunday afternoon when every is home from work.

There are scalpers outside El station and also ticket brokers sell at counters they have set up at Starbucks and a couple of bars aross the street from the park. Get there at least 1 hr. prior to game to buy tickets. relax and enjoy a drink at the Cubby Bear or Sports Corner while waiting for game time.

Aug 24th, 2001, 12:48 PM
pete

ok, since you have a car, here is a tip from a suburbanite. a couple hours before the game, there is plenty of street parking in the neighborhood around waveland and ashland. it will be about a 6-block walk -- and you can get out of the area quicker after the game. waveland is the left-field street.

Aug 24th, 2001, 12:49 PM
marilyn

Official parking at Wrigley Field is nonexistent. There are all sorts of entrepreneurs in the surrounding residential area who offer parking at varying prices depending on how close they are to the stadium and what kind of in-and-out privilieges there are, nor can I think of a CTA station that would be convenient for Indiana, Wrigley and O'Hare. When we drive we always park in a school lot on Southport (several blocks west and north of the ballpark at Addison and Clark) that caters also to car valets from the surrounding restaurants. it's just enough out of the game congestion to make access easier but an easy walk, and it is a real parking lot (as opposed to someone's backyard). $10

Aug 24th, 2001, 02:49 PM
patg

Park about 6 blocks west of the ball park between Addison and Irving Park Roads and walk in. The congestion around the park is incredible - you'll be able to walk almost as fast as you can drive. And the walk back feels good after sitting in those hard seats!

This will also leave you well-placed to escape some traffic on the way back to O'Hare. Take Addison or Irving Park road west to the Kennedy and get on. Sunday evenings can be busy at O'Hare, so allow about one hour to get there and return your car. If this leaves you time to explore the Wrigley neighborhood, do so because it is a real Chicago gem, with lots of great little places for dinner. If you can't get tickets. look at
http://w6.ci.chi.il.us./tourism/cc/Tourism.html
for lots of other ideas.

Aug 26th, 2001, 09:47 AM
cityboy

Tip: Do not park on the residential streets near Wrigly Field because they are zone protected and you will get a parking ticket if you don't have the appropriate sticker. My suggestion is arrive early and try to find parking on meter streets like Halsted or Addison. Since you will be there on a Sunday you are not required to feed the meters.

Aug 27th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Kevin

Thanks for all the responses. Guess the single most important thing would be to get an early start Sunday and have a good street map. Thanks again.

Search this Thread