Chicago-Changing Plans Hotwire/Priceline

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of extending our trip by a night in Chicago as there are so many things we want to do and not enough time. The rates are very high on the day I want to extend it.

There is a Hotwire rate of $179.00 for what appears to be the Swissotel for the two nights I would need the hotel (May 15-17). (I have a cancellable res. for the 15th). Should I wait until it gets closer to see if rates drop at the hotels? I don't have to extend and will only do so if I find a good rate.

Any thoughts on the Chicago market would be appreciated. I can actually wait right up until the day before we leave.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
JJ5

Absolutely grab it. It is not going to get any cheaper. I live near Chicago and stay downtown about 3 times a year. I have stayed at the Swissotel and love that view, although it is a bit longer walk to Michigan Ave. than those hotels West of it on the River.

Swissotel also connects underground to the complex re Hyatt etc. Wonderful.

Just do it as I can't believe you are even getting a $179 this late, and it will not drop. Actually priceline best deals have been virtually missing within the month lately and hotwire's not as low but skimpy if you can find them at all.

It will not drop. You know that it is uncancellable?

I do them anyway as I've saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than I have lost in the one time I had to forfeit.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help... I do have a Hotwire rate at the Intercontinental for the first 3 nights and was going to pay $279 for the last night.

My biggest dilemma is I'm going to have to let some inexpensive flights go (no refund) and take the train home (was able to get a cancellable rate) to Mpls. instead of fly if I extend the vacation.

I should have done some better planning to start out with but I didn't realize how much we would want to see! I also would rather enjoy it than run through everything.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
JJ5

Well you would have to move, but that is literally, if you get the Swissotel, just adjacent- I think they even connect in the underground so the move would be walkable. Swissotel entails a bit of a walk back to Michigan Ave. and Intercontinental would not. That also might affect your decision.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

You're right - I should have grabbed it. It's gone up and I think I'm now going to pass. I'm hoping next week maybe there will be something else but I think I missed that opportunity!