Search

Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago

Just want to again thank everyone that gave some very useful info on Chicago. We just returned from our trip and I must say we hit it lucky with the weather. We started our trip in Chicago Sep 17th - high 70ies & low 80ies. We spent 4 full days in Chicago & now are planning another trip for next year back to Chicago. My expectations for the city was exceeded - the downtown area was very clean and the people of Chicago are very friendly which is something you don't get in many large cities. We walked everywhere from the Hyatt Regency, a very good location, and felt completely safe, even in the evening at Grant Park. We did all the museums and the Art Institute & would have liked to have had more time in those places. Walked to Lincoln Park, did the Celtic Festival, did the CAF, the Navy Pier, etc, etc, etc. The Italian bartender at the Billy Goat Tavern even set us up with a beer on the house - very impressive, that hasn't happened for awhile. We were amazed to see a very large farmers market in the middle of downtown Chicago & such a nice beach & waterfront promenade. As soon as the Cubs 2005 schedule is posted we are going to see if we can get tickets for a couple of games. The rest of this trip after Chicago was a road trip via Niagara Falls, Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis, St Louis, returning to Chicago for the trip home. No road trip next time.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks chicgal. You are wonderful! I will be watchful as February approaches. I had already registered on the Cubs website but they didn't give a clue as to when tickets for 2005 would be available.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Kal

Shea,
"Italian at the Billy Goat"?
You sure it wasn't Nick the Greek?

This makes me want to go back TODAY!!!

Once again Cubs fans save money on World Series Tics. :-<
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

It very well may have been Nick the Greek. My wife said he was definitely Italian, right from the old country. Whatever is the case, he certainly won us over with the conversation & the free set-up was nice too. I liked it when I asked what was on draught. The reply was Billy Goat Dark or Billy Goat Light. The dark was pretty good. When I return to Chicago a couple of beers at the Billy Goat is on the agenda.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Kal

Hahahaha
Dark or Light. They are great choices.

Try going in late one night. We hadda blast the few times we crawled in late.

Our buddy Nick was a bit on the chunky side, late 60s/early 70s, combed back silver hair, big glasses, def old country and very, very nice.