Search

Chicago

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago

Hi, we are visiting Chicago in June. We are staying at the Hyatt on Wacker. Can we walk to Navy Pier from here or should we get a cab? We are booked on the Odyssey cruise for a Saturday night. We are Brits in the US for the first time. Also what are good places to eat, price irrelevant. Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:03 PM

It's not a long walk at all and I think you'll really enjoy it. Your location is superb. I can't really help you on the dining recommendations but there are so many great places to eat in Chicago that it's unreal. One suggestion if you would like something that is VERY good and has a nice, but not formal ambiance near your hotel:

http://www.emiliostapas.com/solynieve.htm

It's excellent. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:08 PM

Ooops! I didn't put the Odyssey cruise and the Navy Pier question together in my response about walking it -- just talking about Navy Pier and the location of the Hyatt in general terms.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:10 PM

Walking from the Hyatt to Navy Pier will take about 20 minutes.

There are plenty of good places to eat in Chicago; you can check eater's reviews at metromix.com or chireader.com. Since price is no object, you might like Red Light or Arun's (fusion Thai-Chinese), Roy's (Hawaiian), Ambria (French)or one of our great steak places. I'm sure many other Chicagoans will weigh in with their favorites
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:20 PM

Chicago has TONS of great resturants. What type of Food are you interesed in?
If price is no object then here are some of my favorites.

Ambria(mentioned before)- French
Everest - Also French
topolobampo- Authentic Mexican
Spaggia - italian
MK - new american

Havent Been but these are supposed to be fantastic:

TRU - New French
Charlie Trotters
Gibsons Steak house (some say this is the best in the country - but I have yet to sample)

There is many many others
Go to www.chicagoreader.com and click resturants on the left hand side, there are all kinds of reviews as well a search engine that will show you restruants (and there ratings) in the immedtiate area that you will be (the hyatt can be considered Loop,near north,mag mile,or river north - for purposes of that search engine, or just choose DOWNTOWN)

I agree with the other posters - in the day, go ahead and walk to navy pier, but at night for the odessy I would take a cab

Have fun
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM
krd

Harry Caray's restaurant is good (steak), Frontera Grill (authentic Mexican not TexMex), The Berghoff (German), Ed Debevic's (diner style), Pizza Uno or Due, and Billy Goat Tavern (Saturday Night Live fame). Have fun. Great City!
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Excellent. Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. We like most food really, the only thing we probably wouldn't eat is Sushi, so all recommendations are welcome. I'm going to print these replies off and take them with us to Chicago. Once again thank you, you've all been very helpful.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Charley: You stated price is irrelevant & since we don't know what is considered high in your Neck of the woods, pls be advised that
1. Charlie Trotters has 2 set menus:
$100 vegetarian & $125 w/meat. Allow at least 2-1/2 hrs for dinner & be forewarned, the acoustics are lousy.

Culinarily Chicago has much to offer
& among my faves are Ambria & Coco Pazzo.

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

As for prices, I'd say we wouldn't pay over $200 for a meal. But ideally we'd like to pay alot less than that! I only said price irrelevant to get an idea and maybe book up one special restuarant. In Britain we get such a good rate of exchange at the moment and our money goes alot further.

I wonder does anyone know if there are any English bars in Chicago with a large TV screen? It's not because I'll be homesick, but it's the European Football Championships in June and it would be nicer to watch in a bar than in our hotel room!! Thanks in advance
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Elephant And Castle is an english pub in the loop not far from the Hyatt. they mostly have an after work crowd. I am not sure about Football though.
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:10 PM

The fancy stuff has all been covered, I'll just mention that Everest has a couple of fixed price options that would bring the bill in under $200, check out the website at:
http://www.leye.com/restaurants/rest_home.jsp?id=9

If you are looking for a little more casual dining, I'll suggest the following:

Spanish tapas-Cafe Iberico 739 N. LaSalle, very busy on weekends, no reservations

Steak/chicken/chops-Wildfire 1589 W. Erie, the horseradish crusted filet is delicious, also busy, get reservations

menu at http://www.wildfirerestaurant.com/se...enu/dinner.htm

seafood-Joe's Stone Crab at 60 E. Grand, best crab cakes I've ever had

menu at http://www.leye.com/restaurants/menus/joe.htm

deep dish pizza-take your pick, favorites include Lou Malnati's, Gino's and Pizzeria Uno-multiple locations

stuffed pizza-Giordano's or Edwardo's-multiple locations

French bistro-Mon Ami Gabi-2300 N. Lincoln Park West, near the zoo and next door to Ambria which was already mentioned http://www.monamigabi.com/

Greek-lots of options in Greek town, my personal fave is Greek Islands

Burgers-Boston Blackie's-164 E. Grand, I think they have the best burgers in the city, Ed Debevic's is geared more towards younger folks and the food is only average at best http://www.bostonblackies.com/

A couple more websites you might want to check out-www.chowhound.com, a website for serious diners and www.opentable.com for reservations to many of the topspots in Chicago.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Once again thanks for all your replies. We don't want to go crazy with the meal, so probably would exclude the really nop notch restaurants otherwise we'll be broke! Looks like we may have to trawl the TV channels for Eurosport or watch the football on the web maybe! Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Although I'm not personally familiar with Chicago bars showing European sports, I am quite sure some exist. You might try doing a search on www.Metromix.com (the Chicago Tribune's entertainment site) or the Chicago Reader www.chireader.com.

Here's a link for one I found, the Sedgwick, but I've never been in the place
http://entertainment.metromix.chicag...l-7349,00.html
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Walking from the Chicago Hyatt to Navy Pier is tricky. You can cross over to the north side of Wacker Drive in front of the hotel and above the Chicago River. Then you can either walk west, (left) towards Michigan Ave. to the steps that lead down to the river walk or east (right) to Columbus Drive to the steps there.

Two flights down, walk east, towards the lake, the open area, through the tree lined path and meet up with the lake front path to Navy Pier. There is a short cut at the Lake Shore Drive Bridge before the tunnel. Walk up the stairs to the bridge, then across the river to Illinois street.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:43 AM

A good inexpensive place to eat, down the street from the Hyatt, is J.R. Randolph?s, at Michigan and Randolph. Steaks, chicken, pasta, bar food and specials.

This place is a Sports Bar/Restaurant with many regular size TVs. They are a friendly bunch and could possible put the game up if you need a place in a pinch.

The best part, J.R. shares the same kitchen and many of the menu items with the pricy upscale La Strada, Restaurant, next door, http://entertainment.metromix.chicag...l-4123,00.html

But, the food is half the price. J.R. offers the least expensive food of that type in the area.

Many of the items on the menu are freshly made, unlike the process food that is served at Bennigan?s and Houlihan?s, which are the next closet ?sport bar? type options near the Hyatt. Although the bar scene at the above mention places will have more visitors, J.R.?s is a bit of a local spot.

Saying that, I would pick another place, other than La Strada, to eat if we were going to pay up for a meal.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both, that's really kind of you to find that information out for me. We'll certainly check out J R Randolphs and Sedgwicks for the impending game! Thanks
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Uma

Do hope you will be visiting the Art
Institute while you are there. Chicago's other museums are first rate -
the Field Museum, Museum of Science and
Industry, Shedd Aquarium and Oceanarium,
Adler Planetarium. There is also a
museum of contemporary art. Lots of
theater. Lincoln Park Zoo is fun, and
free. You might also enjoy an architectural river cruise, or architectural walk. Lots of music. Chicago is known for its jazz and blues.
There are outdoor concerts in Grant Park, as well (or maybe it is Millenium
Park now). Enjoy your stay. Chicago is
a wonderful town.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Chicgal, how funny, I hadn't seen that! We only booked it on Saturday so I haven't had a real chance to look at their website! Uma, yes we do hope to see as much as we possibly can. Thanks
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM

If you're here June 4, there is the Gospel Fest. Our favorite. Small crowds and roaring music. The next weekend is the Blues Fest. Huge crowds
The last weekend in June has the Country Music Fest along with the Taste of Chicago.
It's all free, except the food, and will happen at the Petrillo Band Shell, a short walk from the Hyatt. The city is fixing up the chairs and checking the sound as we speak.
Knuckles has weird hours. It's only open when the hotel occupancy reaches a high number or weekends. I guess you'll be ok in June, but the cost of a beer keeps me far away.
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

We'll be in Chicago from 19th -22nd June. Thanks for that, we won't be drinking (alcohol) in Knuckles, the football will be around 2 pm, so we will literally watch the game (hopefully) and go elsewhere afterwards!!

This is probably a silly question, but we are booked on the Odyssey for Saturday night dinner. Just how well dressed is everyone? Will my boyfriend have wear a jacket? It's alot easier for women, I can just wear a dress, but he's not too hot in the jacket department! Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -