Chicago 25th Anniversary

Search

Chicago 25th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago 25th Anniversary

Need some advice on where to stay in Chicago for our 25th wedding anniversary in May.
Would like to be on or very close to Michigan Ave since we heard that is the best location for shopping and nightlife. Any suggestions?
We had Omni and Sheraton Chicago in mine but would love to hear from this forum on some Hotels that would make our anniversary special.
Thank you
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM

DW and I really enjoyed the Hilton on Michigan Ave, but it is a bit of a walk to the shopping.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:56 AM
cd

We have stayed twice at the Sheraton because we got a good price. We requested a River Room view which was fun as you can watch river activity. If you stay in the towers you can ask for a Lake view but they are more expensive. Have fun, we love Chicago!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Drake Hotel at the north end of the "Magnificent Mile" is quite expensive but you only live once. I've walked the area but never stayed there. You don't say how you are arriving in Chicago. Parking can be a problem/expensive. Be sure to ride the elevator up either the Hancock Building or the Willis (Sears) Tower.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We will be driving thru Detroit from Ontario which is about a 4 hour drive. I have heard hotel parking is expensive, the only other option is the train but would really like to drive.
Will take a look at The Drake and Hilton, anyone ever stayed at the Omni or Swissotel?
We will add the elevator rides to our list, we are interested in taking the boat cruise which we heard is fun to take.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:58 AM
cd

I can recommend the Signature Room on the 95th floor in the Hancock Building for lunch for the wonderful views and the Signature Lounge on the 96th for a nighttime cocktail. http://www.signatureroom.com/
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can find cheap (or free) parking in Kalamazoo riding Amtrak into Chicago is $21/pp each way. 4 Wolverine/Blue Water trains each day both ways. Taxi to your hotel with luggage and walk or ride a bus from the hotel to what you want to see.
I like the Art Institute, the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium as well as the elevator rides.
Having a car in expensive parking does not appeal to me. It's never a problem getting a taxi in Chicago, just make sure one doesn't run you down in a crosswalk.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cd for the Signature Room link, that is something we will definetly look into.

As for driving that is still a debate, if we do drive the car will stay at the hotel and we will walk or cab it.

As for hotels we would love to hear some opinions.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:01 PM
nlg

I would suggest the Homewood Suites. It is within walking distance of Michigan Ave. restaurants and most everywhere you would want to go. Breakfast(everyday) and lite dinner(Mon-Thurs) are included. We have stayed there once and plan to go back in October for our anniversary. We will fly so don't know about the parking fee, but I am sure it is high.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone had any experience staying at Raffaello Hotel?
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Hi Vittoria,
Be sure to check tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews, too! I've been lucky the past three or four years with their reccos for hotels all over the world.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g3...is-Hotels.html

As for Chicago hotels, as I live here, I don't get to see the inside of them, but The James Hotel, The Trump Hotel, The Peninsula, The Conrad are some that my clients talk about wanting to stay in when they visit.

Don't be too put off my hotels that aren't right on Michigan Avenue. I think if you're 2 blocks from Michigan Ave. (east or west) and somewhere between the Chicago river (on the south) and Oak (on the north), you will get the Mag Mile experience. Chicago is easily walked.

Hotels on/near State Street like the Wit and the Allerton or the classic Palmer House... those are interesting hotels that offer just as much shopping out their doors, and you're still just a few blocks from the start of the Mag Mile.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ChgoGal. I have looked at tripadvisor but find it overwhelming since there are so many hotels to look at, just trying to pick the right one for our special anniversary.
We do not travel too much and want to find the right hotel close to the heart of it.

Hate to ask you this but if you could maybe suggest one or two which one would you pick. Also we love italian food any good authentic italian places that you can recommend?

Thank you
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at Peninsula, Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton for luxury level.. Fairmont is very nice , just south of the river. Raffaello is nice, good location.
Sheraton is a huge convention center type hotel which I owuld avoid.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM

We loved Seneca hotel. Near Hancock tower and Magnificent Mile. It has very elegant and large apartments, with bedroom, living, kitchen.
When we were there (May 2010) we payed only 120 Can$/ night
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM

I would suggest the Drake. It is an elegant old world hotel at the top of the Mag Mile. Hilton has done a good job of keeping the flavor of the original with their updates.

the hotel is close to shopping as well as excellent restaurants and the Hancock Tower.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:37 AM

Hi Vittoria,

Hotels: the Peninsula, The Burnham on State St (Not on mag mile, but another "heart" of the city... and near the start of mag mile, you won't be disappointed in location), the Drake on N. Michigan, or the Conrad smack-dab in the middle of it all.

Restaurants:
http://piccolosognorestaurant.com/
(a little west... probably a $6-7 taxi ride from Michigan Ave, or off the blue line subway; wonderful Italian, and known for their lovely outdoor dining space - if weather is nice - romantic, too!)
Good luck!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM

I used to live in Chicago and now try and make it back when I can. If you like boutique-type but Chicago-centric historic, look into the Ambassador East located in the Gold Coast. It's walking distance from everything on the Mag Mile. It was Sinatra's Chicago homebase for example, and the Pump Room has seen more than its share of celebrities over the decades. It's in a nice, quiet neighorhood but just seconds way from the action. We've also stayed at the Sheraton Chicago on Water Street and really like it, too. Can't go wrong with Navy Pier rigt there and the original Billy Goat Tavern across the street and below Michigan Ave. We're also thinking of staying at a bed and breakfast next time that's in the Gold Coast called theFlemish House. It looks intriguing. Here's the link> http://www.innchicago.com/. Have fun whatever you do!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM

I love Chicago! The Drake is very nice....can be very expensive but, very nice (wonderful beds). I always go through hotel-paralysis when traveling to Chicago because there really are just so many choices. In my last trip, I stayed at the Swissotel, and loved it. My room overlooked the lake and would have been perfect for watching the fireworks (although they hadn't started yet). I'll definitely try and stay there during my next trip.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 08:52 AM

I was just in Chicago. I stayed at The River Hotel on Wacker Drive just west of Michigan Ave and on the river. The rooms are small but nice and clean. Centrally located to everything. As for italian food, we had dinner at Volare on Grand Ave just a block or two east of Michigan Ave. The food was to die for.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your hotel suggestions. I will post again when I narrow down my hotel choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -