Search

Chicago??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
barbara

Chicago??

Have seen a few posts recently about taking kids to NY or Chicago. Well, we're 2 adults wanting to celebrate our anniversary. We've been to NY many times and love it, but have never been to Chicago. I've gotten a very good rate at the new Peninsula- anyone seen it? Or we could go back to Ny- a slightly more expensive trip given airfare from the west coast etc. I'm well aware "Ny needs the money"- so do many tourist destinations. I just want someone who can give me a reasonable comparison.
Thanks.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:54 PM
xxx

The new Peninsula is a marvelous place and is giving the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton a run for their money. They have taken their customer base for granted lately...

Come to Chicago and have fun; it is a great city and if you have been to NYC many times you owe it to yourselves to try it.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Marie

You know the one thing that sets Chicago apart from NYC as a great weekend destination? Virtually all the things you'd likely want to see/do are concentrated into such a convenient, beautiful, safe part of the city.
It's ideal for a weekend.
I was at the new Peninsula 2 weeks ago and I completely agree with "xxx". I've been less satisfied with the FS and Ritz the last 3 or so years. The Peninsula is definitely in their league and will have my business for the time being.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:37 AM
karen

I recently stayed at the Peninsula--it is amazing and has a luxurious new feeling, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful on several occasions, which made it even better. I would definitely advise you to spend your anniversary in Chicago, especially if you have never been there. There is so much to do and explore, and the city has a very clean and manageable feel. What season are you planning to go?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:38 AM
karen

I recently stayed at the Peninsula--it is amazing and has a luxurious new feeling, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful on several occasions, which made it even better. I would definitely advise you to spend your anniversary in Chicago, especially if you have never been there. There is so much to do and explore, and the city has a very clean and manageable feel. What season are you planning to go?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Barbara

Thanks for asking. Our anniversary is December 4 so I think we're looking at a cold time of year! Thanks for the help so far..would love restaurant suggestions to. I understand I would do well with Charlie Trotter nad Rick Bayless.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Gina

Charlie Trotter and Rick Bayless are indeed chefs who will provide you with excellent dining - albeit Trotter at a significant cost, around $100 a person prix fixe. And nothing beats a Frontera Grill/Topolobambo margarita... although I'm not sure how appealing it would be on December 4th! Maybe try the Mexican coffee instead.

Also, if you are looking for one high-class, high-cost evening, you might want to consider going to Tru instead of Trotter. In my opinion, both chefs are culinary masters where dinner is an event three hours long... but Tru was a little more "accessible" and fun (sushi served with a live fish swimming around it, mini root beer float desserts), whereas I found the atmosphere at Trotter a bit more serious.

Check prior posts about non-touristy dining in Chicago for some less traditional choices outside the downtown area. I was pleased to see several of my favorite non-tourist places listed in CN Traveler this month, including Rambutan out in Bucktown.

Have a wonderful anniversary - Chicago is a very romantic place to be just before Christmas, I think you will very much enjoy yourselves and the change to a new city!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Pat

barbara: You may want to book Charlie Trotters, simply because he announced he will be closing the restaurant (2003? - can't remember the year he set for the closure) And Gina, although a margarita is best in the summer, ANYTIME of year is good for one at Frontera Grill! (Sin sal, por favor)

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:47 AM
gina

Pat - that's big scoop! I hadn't heard Trotter was closing and can't believe I missed it... where did you hear this?

Barbara, I think actually that Tru is closing soon too but Pat may be right to suggest sneaking in a visit to Trotters if he really is closing; he's an institution.

Also have to credit Pat for sticking up for the December margarita. Honestly I drink them throughout the winter - with salt.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Pat

Gina: That was hot news before 9/11! Truly can't remember where I heard it, though. Supposedly he is going to live in Spain & study there.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Laurie

Barbara, a word of advice if you go to either Frontera Grill or Topolobampo. Frontera does not take reservations so I would advice going early if you don't want a long wait. Or better yet, make reservations at Topolobampo but you should make them at least a couple of weeks ahead of time because it books up fast. I think you will love Chicago.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Susan

Barbara, I doubt you can get a December weekend res. at Trotter's at this point.

Check out the reviews at Metromix.com -- there are way too many good places to mention, and it all depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.

Do come and enjoy, though!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Barbara

Thank you all so much for the kind and thoughtful suggestions. If everyone who visits/lives in Chicago is like this we're certain to have a good time!! If anyone still has it in them for a few more suggestions, what will the weather most likely be ( I live in the SF Bay area)and any thought on unique shopping streets?
Thanks again all!!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Brenda

The boutique shops are on Oak Street at the north end of Michigan Avenue (the "Miracle Mile" area).
Michigan Avenue is the shopping mecca in town.
Also the huge Marshall Field's store on State Street just a bit south of Michigan Avenue should be visited, esp if it's around holiday time. It's a whole city block and about 10 stories tall. Beautiful mechanized window displays for the holidays.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Dottie

For Pizza you, of course, must have Chicago orginal pizza at Uno's or Duo's!!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Barbara

And what about Chicago style hot dogs?...

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Michael

...actually Dennis Rodman's no longer in town, Barbara.
Try Newport CA.

(And it's Pizzeria Uno and Due. Not as good as Giordano's stuffed!).

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:23 PM
don

You might also consider Everest. It is a beautiful restaurant with wonderful food. I have found it to be the best and most memorable of the five star restaurants that I have been to.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:44 PM
patg

I second Everest - a lovely place. Ambria is another top-notch restaurant in a lovely setting; North Pond Cafe would be great, too. You have to walk a bit to get to it. Something very different is Arun's; though it's in a nothing special neighborhood in the middle of the north side, it has the most exquisite Thai food ever.

As for December weather, you're going to need your warmest coat. And wool or fleece sweaters. And boots. Gloves and a hat, of course. Expect highs in the mid-40s and lows in the mid-20s - but be prepared for swings of up to 15 degrees either way.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Giddyup

I also will be in Chicago next month celebrating an annivesary. I would like to take a handsome cab ride. Can anybody tell where to find one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -